Highlighted
Jun 20 2013
By: HarmonicMinor First Son 1 posts

Playstation 4 Suggestion: A Honest Critique of PSN

3 replies 75 views Edited Jun 20, 2013

Hi,

I have been playing the Playstation gaming console since the first Playstation system was released. Playstation has been a leading competitor in the gaming console market. Playstation set the standard for console gaming. Playstation 2 set the standard for online gaming. Playstation 3 set the standard for console gaming graphics and the potential of the Blu-Ray technology. However, the networking for the Playstation 3 system lacked reliable connectivity, packet reception, and limited download speed in comparison to the XBox 360. I desire for the PS4 to be the superb system this generation.

There are various examples I could give to demonstrate the need for the PS4 to have excellent network capabilities and be able to provide them to the clients (gamers). I will go so far as to pay $15 a month to have a network that Microsoft had for the XBox 360. At one time I had both a 360 and a PS3, and was able to compare the donwload time to update a game and download DLC from each store. The Xbox consistently wiped the floor. The Xbox was far ahead in terms of speed compared with the PS3. The PS3 also lacked the reliability during online play that the 360 provided for gamers.

I understand that the PS4 is offering a Gold Membership for under $5 a month. I hope this is true, however I am concerned that such a low price will only offer the consumer low network quality. Part of the monthly payment would be to pay employees to maintain and optimize Sony's servers, to ensure the user high quality networking. I, along with many many individuals, will be willing to meet Microsoft's monthly value if Sony will provide the same quality for it's users. I will be greatly disappointed, along with many, if the PS4 delivers poor network service to it's users, since high quality networking is now becoming a mandatory service in order to compete in the console gaming market and to please the consumer that it serves.

Thank you, and I do hope that you consider my words.

Sincerely,

A loyal Playstation gamer.

Message 1 of 4 (75 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29169 posts

Re: Playstation 4 Suggestion: A Honest Critique of PSN

Jun 20, 2013

It's not a "gold membership". It's called Playstation Plus, and there's other perks to it besides merely being charged for it. Furthermore, they are going to be be making improvements to the network down the road. You aren't simply going to be paying for what you have now. 

Message 2 of 4 (58 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
26 posts

Jun 20, 2013

Jack Trenton said in an interview on Gametrailers that they would use the money from charging for online gaming to improve the network and online features. I completely agree with your critique. Having both systems, I agree with your assessment. I really hope Sony builds this part of their brand up. This aspect is the only question I have left about the PS4. 

Message 3 of 4 (50 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Jun 20, 2013

don't forget.. psn also services more than twice as many players online than xbox live.

Message 4 of 4 (34 Views)
0 Likes