Sep 28 2013
By: BorlandCplus First Son 4 posts

Playstation 4 - PS Plus file compression?

[ Edited ]
6 replies 273 views Edited Sep 28, 2013

Hi guys, I'm interested in  learning more about the Playstation Plus for PS4.  

I haven't owned a console since the PS1 or first Xbox.

My concern is the download size of games.  Since I'm on a limited download cap. per month, sizeable downloads would well topple over my cap of 45gb.  This is Canada, where unlimited internet plans can be very expensive. 

Does Sony plan on compressing these files for future games?

It's my understanding that GTA V had some downloading issues for many people, who had to continually try to re-download the game, all the while consuming their download limit.

So, I'm seeking confirmation from anyone in the know, if Sony is planning on reviewing how they offer the download for PS4 games.

After all, I'll be paying for PS Plus, I'd like to get a feel on Sonys current / future compression methods or lack there of. 

I don't have an issue with Steam games, as they are very well compressed and will install and decompress at the same time.  As well, they will resume where they left off in the event of a power outage etc.  

regards,

Bob

Message 1 of 7 (273 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8191 posts

Re: Playstation 4

Sep 28, 2013
http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/PlayStation-4-Everything-about-it-so-far/...
FiveFourteen
Ask FiveFourteen,Twitter,Google+
"I am passionate, vigilant, motivated, and I am proud to be a part of the PlayStation Community."
Message 2 of 7 (269 Views)
Last Guardian
11699 posts

Re: Playstation 4 - PS Plus file compression?

Sep 28, 2013
Where are you in canada, some services removes the data cap for a small fee... Bell offers fibe in some markets, and for $30 (or $10 if you subscribe to their other services) the data cap is removed...
>

Message 3 of 7 (252 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 28, 2013

Yes, I know that + $10 unlimited offer (if you have 3 of Bell's services).

I need to drop Bell and go with a 3rd party ISP. Giving Bell another $10 a month is not my idea of a good time.

Message 4 of 7 (244 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
6003 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 28, 2013

BorlandCplus wrote:

Hi guys, I'm interested in  learning more about the Playstation Plus for PS4.  

I haven't owned a console since the PS1 or first Xbox.

My concern is the download size of games.  Since I'm on a limited download cap. per month, sizeable downloads would well topple over my cap of 45gb.  This is Canada, where unlimited internet plans can be very expensive. 

Does Sony plan on compressing these files for future games?

It's my understanding that GTA V had some downloading issues for many people, who had to continually try to re-download the game, all the while consuming their download limit.

So, I'm seeking confirmation from anyone in the know, if Sony is planning on reviewing how they offer the download for PS4 games.

After all, I'll be paying for PS Plus, I'd like to get a feel on Sonys current / future compression methods or lack there of. 

I don't have an issue with Steam games, as they are very well compressed and will install and decompress at the same time.  As well, they will resume where they left off in the event of a power outage etc.  

regards,

Bob

Would like to mention these below to give you some hope (again,pulled from the Mega PS4 thread).

Downloads seem to be in chunks this time for the PS4 - you actually don't even need to download the full game to start playing it.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/20/4010420/sonys-playstation-4-will-use-gaikai-game-streaming-technol...

Some games will even give you the option to download the single player portion of a game and multiplayer mode of a game separately in order to save your precious  hard drive space and have data limits (like yourself).

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-19-ps4-store-asks-if-youd-like-to-download-multiplayer-or-...

Full game download chunks will be a thing of the past! You can even try games before you even buy them.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/20/try-anything-and-instant-broadcast-announced-for-playstation-4/

Message 5 of 7 (238 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
569 posts

Sep 28, 2013

Actually, because of the next gen consoles ISP conglomerates will be forced to offer unlimited packages for a reasonable rate.

sig by Grindhead_Jim
Message 6 of 7 (231 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Last Guardian
11699 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 29, 2013
We really don't know if that's 100% true.. For all we know you can choose what part it downloads first, but it may still insist on downloading the other part right away after the part it downloads first
>

Message 7 of 7 (217 Views)
0 Likes