Jan 26 2013
By: JonathanCarabalo Lombax Warrior 220 posts

Playstation 4 - Operating System

14 replies 3359 views Edited Jan 26, 2013

That would be something - to make an operating system like Windows for it.  As an option.  Also - hooking up mouse and keyboard support.  Thus if someone with a Playstation 4 wants to use that as a computer - if his/her main computer stops working - it's possible.

Also - the Sony Conglomerate continues to acquire new territory, now venturing onto Microsof't's domain - X86-based operating systems.  We're in the big leagues now.  It won't be long until Microsoft starts losing marketshare on the PC. 

Message 1 of 15 (3,359 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Fender Bender
3428 posts

Re: Playstation 4 - Operating System

Jan 27, 2013

It would be cool if it had Windows on it?  Yet Microsoft is losing marketshare?  
Who do you think develops Windows?

The PS3 already supports Keyboard and Mouse.  People could already use it as their computer with Linux,

and Sony removed it.

Also, "we're" not in the big leagues.  Do you work for Sony (who isn't in some new league regardless),

because if not I don't see how this baseless information puts you in any new league.

Message 2 of 15 (3,341 Views)
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jan 27, 2013
Ken Kutaragi once talked about the PS3 to be used as a computer, and also talked about the PS3 being custom configured with additional RAM and a BD burner. Obviously none of that happened.

IMO it would be a waste of time on Sony's part to make the PS4 to be able to perform as a general use PC...
Message 3 of 15 (3,328 Views)
Sackboy
426 posts

Jan 27, 2013

Logical_Dolphin wrote:
Ken Kutaragi once talked about the PS3 to be used as a computer, and also talked about the PS3 being custom configured with additional RAM and a BD burner. Obviously none of that happened.

IMO it would be a waste of time on Sony's part to make the PS4 to be able to perform as a general use PC...

I agree, All the talk for now is just rumors. and if PS4 was being outfitted with windows it would be CRAP windows 8, also microsoft is in to deep of competition w/ SONY to be making their OS.

/)/)
(-,-)
*(")(")
Message 4 of 15 (3,325 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
108 posts

Jan 27, 2013

JonathanCarabalo wrote:

That would be something - to make an operating system like Windows for it.  As an option.  Also - hooking up mouse and keyboard support.  Thus if someone with a Playstation 4 wants to use that as a computer - if his/her main computer stops working - it's possible.

Also - the Sony Conglomerate continues to acquire new territory, now venturing onto Microsof't's domain - X86-based operating systems.  We're in the big leagues now.  It won't be long until Microsoft starts losing marketshare on the PC. 

Good idea but I think you've got the 'Playstation' & 'Xbox' mixed up, seeing that 'Microsoft' own the xbox.
Personally, I like the idea but I'd rather 'Apple' team up with 'Sony' to create/ combine the Playstation and Imac together.

Message 5 of 15 (3,302 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1873 posts

Jan 28, 2013

my bet is that it will be an android or linux based OS sort of like the PS Vita has.

PSN: Deadly_Rabbit123
XBL: BruteForce94

Proud Owner of Xbox One and PS4
Message 6 of 15 (3,292 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
18928 posts

Jan 28, 2013

JonathanCarabalo wrote:

Windows, as the main OS for the PS4 would ruin it, the last thing we need is to be worrying about viruses.

The PS3 once supported the installation of LINUX OS. YellowDog Linux was made for the PS3 but sadly SONY took the option to install other OS off the system. This is the option SONY needs to bring back on PS4.

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Message 7 of 15 (3,288 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
309 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 28, 2013

Sony has always designed a custom rise architecture for every playstation console thus far & i doubt that's gonna change with the next playstation console.

Cheers & Happy Gaming!

Message 8 of 15 (3,281 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Feb 20, 2013
I used to have Yellow Dog Linux installed on my ps3 and worked fine except for the ram issue. There was a rumour Nasa bought a few hundred ps3s to Network and run Linux on for the processing power. Unfortunately, so the rumour goes, they ran a firmware upgrade which removed the operating system and the ability to reinstall. Also, a rumour that a bunch of PS3's were used for the calculations to prove the god particle exists
Message 9 of 15 (3,200 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Mar 5, 2013

Does anybody know if the playstation 3 games will work or wont work  on a playstion 4

Message 10 of 15 (3,027 Views)
0 Likes