Sep 08 2013
By: Girardi First Son 21 posts

Playstation 4 File Type?

3 replies 336 views Edited Sep 8, 2013

Does anyone now what type of file system the PS4 will have? Having FAT32 on the PS3 is kind of a pain in the butt as you can plug in any run of the mill external harddrive in to perform a back up and have it recognized.

I had a 500 GB external hard drive before but was running out of room with my computer and PS3 backup so I bought a new 3TB hard drive. Ever since trying to use it even with a partition being formatted to FAT32 when performing a back up all it ever displays is "Counting...". I've left it on for hours and it never gets past this. The funny thing is when you check the hard drive after attempting the back up it shows there's space used up but the folder is empty. Any ideas? I

Message 1 of 4 (336 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Re: Playstation 4 File Type?

Sep 8, 2013

no one knows at this point.

All we can do is wait a few more months

Furiously Chaosing
Message 2 of 4 (307 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
10995 posts

Sep 8, 2013

I suspect the PS4 will continue to use a proprietary format for the internal HDD (probably the same one the PS3 uses).

As for external HDDs, I would be surprised if it doesn't use exFAT (which is basically the open domain version of Microsoft's proprietary NTFS format).

Message 3 of 4 (300 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11830 posts

Sep 8, 2013

BBurgSteve wrote:

I suspect the PS4 will continue to use a proprietary format for the internal HDD (probably the same one the PS3 uses).

As for external HDDs, I would be surprised if it doesn't use exFAT (which is basically the open domain version of Microsoft's proprietary NTFS format).

ps3 uses fat32 for external drives, i dont see it changing for the ps4

>

Message 4 of 4 (297 Views)
0 Likes