Mar 31 2013
By: blackdrako3000 First Son 2 posts

Playstation 4 Backwards Compatibility

[ Edited ]
14 replies 781 views Edited Mar 31, 2013

The Playstation 4 should be backwards compatible. The main reason is, not all Playstation 2 and 1 games are available for download on the Playstation Network. There are many games I have for Playstation 2 and 1 that I have, but got ruined. I would love to be able to buy and download these games on the Playstation Network, but because sales are too low, they will not put them on the network. I say that the system should be available as is, but that there should be an emulator that can be bought to make the Playstation 4 backwards compatible. It could be along the same concept as when the first round of Playstation 2 came out. It was a standard system, but then they made it so a hard disk drive and network connector could be added. For those of us that have the older games that are not on the network, what are we supposed to do after our system crashes. After it crashes, we have to go buy a new system and will not be able to play the older games. Our older games will have to sit and collect dust? Why? I understand older games having to collect dust if the system is no longer made, but the system is still made. Without being backwards compatible, they are not evolving the system, they are just creating a new system.

Message 1 of 15 (781 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2785 posts

Re: Playstation 4 Backwards Compatibility

[ Edited ]
Mar 31, 2013

This won't please the anti-backwards compatibility crowd. Smiley Tongue 

Just a warning; there alot of people here that hate BC threads so expect some backlash. I also want backwards compatibility, but since the PS4 does not use the Cell and RSX chips it makes it hard. Emulating the Cell is very hard. I think the Cell processor is garbage for that reason. I wish Sony would release an external add-on. They did patent it, but it looks like they want to push Gaikai.

Message 2 of 15 (777 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1102 posts

Mar 31, 2013

It's not that we don't like B/C, it's just that there is currently six of these threads. Everyone wants B/C we just don't want 50 of these threads.

Message 3 of 15 (745 Views)
Fender Bender
2785 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 31, 2013

Asphaltum wrote:

It's not that we don't like B/C, it's just that there is currently six of these threads. Everyone wants B/C we just don't want 50 of these threads.

I suggest maybe the mods gather up all of the backwards compatibility threads and merge them into one thread and  make it a sticky called "the official backwards compatibility thread" or something like that. What do you guys think? Personally, it does not bother me but it seems to bother a lot of people here. 

Message 4 of 15 (739 Views)
Wastelander
646 posts

Mar 31, 2013

Asphaltum wrote:

One of the reasons we need more active mods on these forums; not to merge all similar threads, but hot topics, such as this one, should be moved to a singular thread.

Message 5 of 15 (736 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1102 posts

Mar 31, 2013

DanSD wrote:

Asphaltum wrote:

One of the reasons we need more active mods on these forums; not to merge all similar threads, but hot topics, such as this one, should be moved to a singular thread.

I agree. One thread that's pinned up top so everyone can see it and join the discussion, not a bunch of sporadic threads that clutter the page. Last week there was five of these threads on the main page and it just looks like a cluster frak. (Pardon the BG reference, I just don't like seeing "bleep")

Message 6 of 15 (731 Views)
Fender Bender
2785 posts

Mar 31, 2013

I just suggested that! Smiley Tongue I have been thinking that the mods should do that for a while because whenever someone makes a new BC thread, people get mad. 

Message 7 of 15 (723 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1102 posts

Mar 31, 2013

Icestar10 wrote:

I just suggested that! Smiley Tongue I have been thinking that the mods should do that for a while because whenever someone makes a new BC thread, people get mad. 

Sorry Icestar10, I didn't see your post until after, but I gave you a kudos, because you are absolutely correct on this matter. It's just always better when there is one thread that everyone can contribute to. If not you get multiple threads on the same topic with people constantly repeating the same opinions. Not very organized in my opinion.

Message 8 of 15 (718 Views)
Fender Bender
2785 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 31, 2013

Asphaltum wrote:

Icestar10 wrote:

Sorry Icestar10, I didn't see your post until after, but I gave you a kudos, because you are absolutely correct on this matter. It's just always better when there is one thread that everyone can contribute to. If not you get multiple threads on the same topic with people constantly repeating the same opinions. Not very organized in my opinion.

Don't worry about it, it's not a big deal. lol Smiley Happy I agree, BC is a very popular topic here so there should be an offical thread. The most popular topics should be made a stickly.

Message 9 of 15 (716 Views)
First Son
2 posts

Mar 31, 2013

I would have posted to the other threads, but I couldn't. For some reason, the "REPLY" button was disabled, so I was not able to use the previous threads to voice my opinion.

Message 10 of 15 (699 Views)
0 Likes