Oct 26 2013
By: Rabcor First Son 7 posts
Accepted Solution

Playstation 4 API

20 replies 3124 views Edited Oct 26, 2013

Playstation 3 according to my knowledged used a slightly modified version of OpenGL 2.0 for Embedded Systems.

Sony claims to have an API for PS4 that offers all the features DX11 has and more, is not as high-level as DX11/OpenGL (thus can be used to achieve better precision) and all sorts of fancy stuff making it sounds like it's simply the best API out there and quite honestly makes me salivate.

What is the name of this API?

Is it based on OpenGL like the API in PS3 or written from ground up?

Will this API be cross platform (usable on Windows, Linux, Android, Mac and others) or a Sony exclusive like DirectX is for Microsoft?

I certainly hope it's cross platform.. it would be pretty silly (equally idiotic as AMD's Mantle) to force devs to learn a new API that they can only use on PS4 and no other popular product like the PC, "SteamBox" and Xbone the only reason Microsoft gets away with stunts like this is that Windows is already the most popular operating system. (Which i hope will change soon)

So, what's the answer to these 3 questions?

Message 1 of 21 (3,124 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Moderator
5760 posts

Re: Playstation 4 API

Oct 27, 2013
Moved from Playstation Forums Support
Message 2 of 21 (3,094 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 27, 2013

If its something that works Similar to OpenGL and/or DirectX, then developers shouldn't have much of an issue learning it.

As far as I'm concerned, developers have as close to hardware level access as they possibly could ever get. 

PC developers can't even get close without using several API's due to the varied hardware thats out there. Maybe Steambox will make things different.

Such things are trivial and shouldn't be worried about anyway.... this is going to take years.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 3 of 21 (3,080 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
342 posts

Oct 27, 2013

gR3yGh051 wrote:

If its something that works Similar to OpenGL and/or DirectX, then developers shouldn't have much of an issue learning it.

As far as I'm concerned, developers have as close to hardware level access as they possibly could ever get. 

PC developers can't even get close without using several API's due to the varied hardware thats out there. Maybe Steambox will make things different.

Such things are trivial and shouldn't be worried about anyway.... this is going to take years.

From what I heard is that XB1 is DirecX11 and PS4 is OpenGL

Message 4 of 21 (3,059 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
522 posts

Oct 27, 2013

MuzikFreq wrote:

The PS4 is more capable than DX11.2

Message 5 of 21 (3,056 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
342 posts

Oct 27, 2013

Mikewarrior wrote:

MuzikFreq wrote:

The PS4 is more capable than DX11.2

well of course. opengl is more direct to the hardware

Message 6 of 21 (3,040 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Ghost of Sparta
13187 posts

Oct 27, 2013

Now if i remember. 

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/09/21/the-ps4-version-of-final-fantasy-xiv-will-run-at-60-fps-1080p...

"That said, he clarified that a DirectX 11 version of the PC client is currently in development, and while the PS4 version will use some of the new DirectX 11 features, it won’t use them all."

photo AL2009manBanner2013_zpsd80ecc86.png
Message 7 of 21 (3,018 Views)
First Son
7 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 27, 2013

It's not just baout the issue of learning it. The market is moving slowly towards cross platform gaming, thanks to Valve's push for linux more and more game devs are pushing linux support. Once you have a game on linux (depending slightly on what languages you used) porting from linux to virtually anything else should be a cakewalk, since OpenGL works everywhere and Python & C++ also do, these are growing in popularity, C++ now growing even more popular than it was before.

But think about Mantle right? AMD released their own API that is cross platform but is limited to AMD hardware. I think both sony and microsoft intend not to support it on the PS4/Xb1 which would easily just make the product fail. I also approve of that decision since i believe if the consoles did support matntle it would further divide games between consoles and PCs (whereas i want to see console games and PC games being the same thing)

The other problem with mantle is that if you want to use it, you need to re-write your entire graphics code to make the game compatible with it. you need to port it to Mantle. All this just so AMD users get slightly better performance? (which they don't even need on a PC usually) I call flop.

What i'm trying to say is whatever API Sony is using, people are not going to learn to use it just for the PS4. It's too much work for a single **bleep** console, if this API will only work on PS4, no one who isn't contracted by Sony will use it. Ever. Microsoft's DirectX is compatible with both Windows(the most popular OS) and Xbox. Sony doesn't have any edge like Windows to encourage people to use their API. That's why it needs to be cross platform. And heck, that's what people have been begging for, something better or equal to DX but with the cross-platform compatibility of OpenGL, if it is in fact cross platform, all the world's gamers are going to worship sony for making this stuff if it's as good as advertised.

I certainly do hope Steam Machine will change the game, but i highly suspect it will be the most expensive out of the 3. Their idea is to bring PC level gaming to Consoles. I **bleep** love it too and it's (spec wise) going to be by far the strongest console. The specs make me salivate! the weakest prototypes that will be shipped willl be comparable to my own gaming rig (they'll ship with 660, i have 670 card). I probably wont buy the Steam Machine though as i quite love just a standard PC setup and Steam Machine is just a gaming computer packed into a smaller casing. But to support them i both intend to use SteamOS and if not the OS itself then at least the programs that come with it (i already use steam on linux for example), and i also intend to buy that juicy controller they designed, that thing looks hideous but looks more usable than any other controller ever made in history since the PS1 controller and older controllers. Why? it doesn't have a mother**bleep**ing stick for controls!!!! i **bleep** hate the **bleep** god **bleep** stupid piece of **bleep** sticks on all modern controllers.

Message 8 of 21 (2,986 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13294 posts

Oct 27, 2013

Rabcor wrote:

It's not just baout the issue of learning it. The market is moving slowly towards cross platform gaming, thanks to Valve's push for linux more and more game devs are pushing linux support. Once you have a game on linux (depending slightly on what languages you used) porting from linux to virtually anything else should be a cakewalk, since OpenGL works everywhere and Python & C++ also do, these are growing in popularity, C++ now growing even more popular than it was before.

But think about Mantle right? AMD released their own API that is cross platform but is limited to AMD hardware. I think both sony and microsoft intend not to support it on the PS4/Xb1 which would easily just make the product fail. I also approve of that decision since i believe if the consoles did support matntle it would further divide games between consoles and PCs (whereas i want to see console games and PC games being the same thing)

The other problem with mantle is that if you want to use it, you need to re-write your entire graphics code to make the game compatible with it. you need to port it to Mantle. All this just so AMD users get slightly better performance? (which they don't even need on a PC usually) I call flop.

What i'm trying to say is whatever API Sony is using, people are not going to learn to use it just for the PS4. It's too much work for a single **bleep** console, if this API will only work on PS4, no one who isn't contracted by Sony will use it. Ever. Microsoft's DirectX is compatible with both Windows(the most popular OS) and Xbox. Sony doesn't have any edge like Windows to encourage people to use their API. That's why it needs to be cross platform. And heck, that's what people have been begging for, something better or equal to DX but with the cross-platform compatibility of OpenGL, if it is in fact cross platform, all the world's gamers are going to worship sony for making this stuff if it's as good as advertised.

I certainly do hope Steam Machine will change the game, but i highly suspect it will be the most expensive out of the 3. Their idea is to bring PC level gaming to Consoles. I **bleep** love it too and it's (spec wise) going to be by far the strongest console. The specs make me salivate! the weakest prototypes that will be shipped willl be comparable to my own gaming rig (they'll ship with 660, i have 670 card). I probably wont buy the Steam Machine though as i quite love just a standard PC setup and Steam Machine is just a gaming computer packed into a smaller casing. But to support them i both intend to use SteamOS and if not the OS itself then at least the programs that come with it (i already use steam on linux for example), and i also intend to buy that juicy controller they designed, that thing looks hideous but looks more usable than any other controller ever made in history since the PS1 controller and older controllers. Why? it doesn't have a mother**bleep**ing stick for controls!!!! i **bleep** hate the **bleep** god **bleep** stupid piece of **bleep** sticks on all modern controllers.

I just went to a few sights for Stem Machine.  3 moddles it sounds pricing from 600 to 1500 for it. I got a high end pc for my steam games. No way  i am investing that kind of money just to play steam. There trying to break into console market but with prices like that you can get a sweet pc for that kind of money. You are just buying a new pc to play steam games. My high end laptop can hook to tv via HDMI and I can do this already.  Id rather invest 1500 into sweet laptop than just steam gaming rig.

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/how-much-will-a-steam-box-cost-you

Message 9 of 21 (2,949 Views)
First Son
7 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 27, 2013

Don't derail the thread by trying to talk about Steambox, we're talking about APIs here. Valve have not released any official prices for the box yet, so you can't know the price range, that's only a guesstimate. And compared to the specs we know they'll have 600 is actually pretty **bleep** cheap compared to a similarily good PC gaming rig, that price would be extremely competitive to the point where i might consider buying a Steam Machine rather than upgrading my PC next time i feel the need to do so.

Not everyone has a hardcore PC gaming rig like we do, but a lot of people would love to have that quality and would be willing to pay for it, but don't want to pay for an extremely overpriced alienware craptop or something like that, Steam Machines are definitely the answer to those people. PC-Gaming grade hardware at a competitive price.

You were probably looking at old info too, for example originally the Steam Machines were supposed to use the x3 Piston, but the Piston failed and valve turned away from that idea.

Now Please get back to talking about the API, i'm exicted to know the details about Sony's new API and whether it's just another DirectX or a revolutionary GL Cat Wink

Message 10 of 21 (2,934 Views)
0 Likes