Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Nov 18 2011
By: TorturEd Lombax Warrior 223 posts

Playstation 3D Display Question

8 replies 262 views Edited Nov 18, 2011

How does the Display look as a pc monitor ? I read some where else that somebody said it's not that good as one they said the text was fuzzy and blocky if any one can confirm if this is true it would be greatly appreciated as I'm thinking about going to grab it today and it would be mainly used as a pc monitor for surfing and games and playing 3D ps3 games. I have a 47" LG passive 3D tv that I use as well and always want to check out active 3D.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 9 (262 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
267 posts

Re: Playstation 3D Display Question

Nov 19, 2011

This is correct.

The monitor doesn't support 1920x1080 as one of the native resolution.  It has a 1080p mode, but I think it's processed (for example, you can control the overscan in this mode, so its defintely not native), so the text looks fuzzy, compare it next to my native 1902x1080 monitor.  The display is great for movies and games, and not bad as a PC or Mac monitor.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 9 (262 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Nov 20, 2011

dchao wrote:

This is correct.

The monitor doesn't support 1920x1080 as one of the native resolution.  It has a 1080p mode, but I think it's processed (for example, you can control the overscan in this mode, so its defintely not native), so the text looks fuzzy, compare it next to my native 1902x1080 monitor.  The display is great for movies and games, and not bad as a PC or Mac monitor.

It states right here that this monitor does support 1920x1080:

http://us.playstation.com/ps3/accessories/sony-playstation-3d-display-ps3/features.html

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 9 (262 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
267 posts

Nov 20, 2011

After doing furtther testing, I conclude that you can make the text look all normal by turning the sharpness down to 0. Sharpness is a video processing that apply sharpening to the edge of the image.  This is making the text, which is already black on white, over sharpen, blocky, and horrible.  Turning off sharpness will make the text look nature again.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 9 (262 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Nov 20, 2011

I would think at this point the majority of HDTVs out their do some sort of video processing, and 3DTVs have to be at least 120Hz anyway...

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 9 (262 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
267 posts

Nov 20, 2011

Yep, it probably has a very high end video processor inside the display.  I think Sony have done a good job to keep the set under $500.  I only wish they have put in a beefier subwoofer.  From that, you can see the cost of manufacturing is on a very tight budget.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 9 (262 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Nov 20, 2011

IMO $500 was an OK price when it was announced in June, but now it seems to be a tad expensive, especially since you can buy 3D displays at least 4 times larger for only a few hundred dollars more. From what I can tell so far, GameStop and Best Buy are the only national chains carrying this, stores like Walmart and Target aren't. It will be interesting to see how many Sony sells, but I think they are going to have to lower it to $300 to make it more appealing to people, and I don't think that is unheard of with the rapidly declining price of this technology and similar 2D displays selling for $200... 

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 9 (262 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
267 posts

Nov 20, 2011

I got mine from GameStop.  Each store only had a a few in stock, and the sales person aren't that particular knowledgable about this display either.  To them, this product is too high-end, there is nothing in GameStop that are this expensive, and they aren't expected to sell a lot.

This is a niche product (at $500).  The sales are going to be slow as it struggle to find the right retail channel to sell it.  But I suspect Best Buy will be a better fit when the price get lowered.  If it wasn't for  uncharted 3, I would have gone to Best Buy to get it too.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 9 (262 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Nov 20, 2011

As far as acessories go, yes this is very expensive, which is why probably why GameStop is offering incentives with purchase.

My local Best Buy got 16 of these in stock, now I am just waiting for Best Buy or GameStop to demo the unit with glasses so I can see firsthand how good this display is.

This is the first console gaming oriented display to come out in a long time. The last one was made by Samsung called the gxTV, it was a 13 inch display with foldable speakers and a subwoofer. GameStop sold this too.

5W65P05S03n23kf3ocbamad06575fbc4f11e5.jpg

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 9 (262 Views)
0 Likes