Highlighted
Apr 08 2012
By: Krepta3000 First Son 13 posts

Playstation 3 space allocation

5 replies 555 views Edited Apr 8, 2012

I have noticed that Playstation 3 pre-allocates space for downloads, such as video files, audio files, games, etc.  When you tell either the web browser or Playstation Store to download something, it first checks the hard drive for enough free space for the file you are downloading, then starts downloading, at which point you can usually tell it to download in the background.  It only downloads one thing at a time, you know.  If there is more than one thing in the background download queue, everything but the thing currently downloading will say "0% pending" under it.  When it finally starts downloading it, it does not say "checking for free space" or something, it says "0% downloading" and the percentage increases from there.  It doesn't say checking for free space, because it ALLREADY checked for free space when you first told it to download, then clicked download in the background.

I have proven, over and over again, that this is the case. 

First I checked the free space available on the system. Then I went to the Playstation Store and told it to download two demos. The first one started, I told it to download in the background, then checked the free space on the system again. It had Pre-allocated over 1 gb of space!! I then told Playstation Store to download the other one, again clicking the button to download in the background. I checked the free space, and even though the second file was sitting at "0% pending" on the list, it had Pre-allocated over 200 mb of space for it!!! I tried to download a third demo, but when it checked for free space, it said it had no space to download it!!!

You Can Not tell the PS3 to download more stuff than you have space for, PERIOD, it Will Not Let You!!! It does NOT Only Allocate space for the data currently downloaded, and let the hard drive fill up with other stuff before a file has completed.

If you decide to argue with me, you must prove you are right with overwhelming evidence before I will believe you.  My evidence is on my freaking system in front of my own eyes.  Not some stupid article on a stupid website by someone who is not looking at their system and doing what I have just done.  With open eyes, and a curious mind, you can find the answers yourself.  Go do what I just did if you don't believe me.  Try downloading big things that take a long time to download, see how many things you can download when you don't have the space for all of it.  If you have about 2 gigs of free space starting out, and you go tell the system to download 3 gigs of stuff, and it just lets you add it all to the queue without yelling at you that you don't have enough space for it all, then I'd like to know how your system is doing that when my system absolutely refuses to let me get away with that.  The only things I can think of that allows that are programs that don't pre-allocate downloads.

I have used jetcar/flashget as a file downloader for a long time, it allows me to schedule and resume downloads, AND it has a setting for pre-allocating downloads.  I have also used uTorrent for a long time, it also has a setting for pre-allocating downloads.  When I have a lot of stuff to download, and no where near enough space for it all, I tell it NOT to pre-allocate pending downloads, because what I am downloading is videos that I plan to watch, then delete, before all the other stuff downloads.  So, you see, when I'm downloading video torrents with uTorrent I actually Don't want pre-allocation.  But when I'm downloading stuff to my PS3, the situation is totally different.  I don't want it to even allow me to add downloads to the queue if I don't have enough space for it all.  And it Doesn't.  Period.

Message 1 of 6 (555 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3055 posts

Re: Playstation 3 space allocation

Apr 8, 2012

your exactly right...

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 2 of 6 (555 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
16262 posts

Apr 8, 2012

heres a solution..... buy a bigger hdd and stop crying about something so trivial as space allocation.

Also downloading everything on the Store isnt going to helo your case.

Furiously Chaosing

I get you so horked up

Message 3 of 6 (555 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Apr 9, 2012

Krepta3000 wrote:

IIf you decide to argue with me, you must prove you are right with overwhelming evidence before I will believe you.  My evidence is on my freaking system in front of my own eyes.  Not some stupid article on a stupid website by someone who is not looking at their system and doing what I have just done.  With open eyes, and a curious mind, you can find the answers yourself.  Go do what I just did if you don't believe me.

I don't get it. Was someone arguing the opposite?

Message 4 of 6 (555 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3055 posts

Apr 9, 2012

i was wondering that myself because i had thought everyone would had known that as a general rule as how downloads work..

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 5 of 6 (555 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
5536 posts

Apr 9, 2012

I guess there was "some stupid article on a stupid website" that claimed the opposite, but without seeing it this is pretty confusing.  I don't see why anyone would try to argue against OP; it's just common sense and personal experience.

Message 6 of 6 (555 Views)
0 Likes