Apr 04 2012
By: PRIMERAaskals First Son 25 posts

Playing with PS3 everyday; is it ok?

14 replies 491 views Edited Apr 4, 2012

Hey there guys and gals!

Question Would it be ok to play with the PS3 everyday? from morning to night? What are the effects on this on the console? and the difference playing the PS3 once a week(like weekends) depending on your availability; will this help the PS3 last long and safe?

Appreciate your response.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 15 (491 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3324 posts

Re: Playing with PS3 everyday; is it ok?

Apr 4, 2012

a question like that will get you a hundred different answers but i have left my old fatty cechlo1 on for months at a time 24/7 FOLDING@HOME when im not playing,and never a problem as of now..

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 2 of 15 (491 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
9610 posts

Apr 4, 2012

I would say that how you treat your PS3 is more important than how often you play your PS3. If you keep your PS3 in an open space so it can breathe, and a cool place so it won't overheat. And vacuum the vents if they become clogged with dust and dirt. Then your PS3 should last for many years. My 60gb PS3 has been working perfectly since December 2006.

Here's symbols to copy & paste into your friends list comment. ℡ № ª
⇒⇔ ¹ ² ³ ® ™ ‰ © ½ ¼ ¾ ←↑→↓ψ † ‡ ※♪♭♯★ ☆▲▼△▽◆ ◇ ○ ◎ ● ■ □ 回 〓 √∞♂♀ 웃 유
Ω ①②③④⑤⑥⑦⑧⑨⑩⑪⑫⑬⑭⑮⑯⑰⑱⑲⑳ ㎎ ㎏ ㎜ ㎝ ㎞ ㎡ ㏄ ≒ Æ æ η α β ε α₩£ ≡ » « ¶ † εïз ∵
∴ #’〈 〉《 》「」『 』【 】〔 〕ミ 彡 ッ シ!#@ $ %
&()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz[\
]^_`{|}~¢£ㄻ ㄼ ㄽ ㄾ ㄿ ㅁ ㅂ ㅄ ㅅ ㅆ ㅇ ㅈ ㅊ ㅋ ㅌ ㅍ ㅎㄱ 을 ㄺ卍∃⊥ ∀ Ξ Σ Π 文 ≒≠ ≡≦
≧ⅠⅡⅢ Ⅳ Ⅴ Ⅵ Ⅶ Ⅷ Ⅸ Ⅹ ⅰ ⅱ ⅲ ⅳ ⅴ ⅵ ⅶ ⅷ ⅸ ⅹ¬ ̄ ±∂∩∀∇∠∧∨∩∪∫∬⊂⊃⊥⊿⌒─│┌┐└┘├┤┬┴┼─
━│┃┌┏ ┐┓└┗ ┘┛├┝┠┣ ┤┥┨┫┬ ┯ ┰ ┳ ┴ ┷ ┸ ┻ ┼ ┿ ╂ ╋
Message 3 of 15 (491 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
193 posts

Apr 4, 2012

I feel like there are so many other variables that come into play that it would be difficult to accurately answer. You must also understand that like cars, even a great and reliable car company may have one come off the assembly line that just fails. That is always a possibility with nearly every consumer electronic.

In my opinion, the number of days you play would not affect it as much as the duration of each playing session without a break. In theory, overheating being the biggest issue/cause of damage to the system, then playing for one hour a day 7 days a week would do less damage (if that's what you'd call it) than 7 hours in one day during the week. It is the same amount of playing time over that given period, but less stress to the system's components and less exposure to heat.

If you were asking if it would be affected more if you played it 7 hours a day, 7 days a week versus 7 hours on Saturday alone, then obviously yes. The more you use something, the higher likelihood that it will eventually fail. Hours of gaming are a lot like miles on a car, in that they do accumulate and as components age, their integrity will degrade.

This does not mean that you could not play it 24x7 for 5 years... Perhaps you can. (Just wouldn't recommend it )

Message 4 of 15 (491 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
775 posts

Apr 4, 2012

Ive heard playing with it to much will make u go blind....

Photobucket
Message 5 of 15 (491 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
193 posts

Apr 4, 2012

I believe you are referring to the wrong analog stick...

Message 6 of 15 (491 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
40614 posts

Apr 4, 2012

PRIMERAaskals wrote:

Hey there guys and gals!

Question Would it be ok to play with the PS3 everyday? from morning to night? What are the effects on this on the console? and the difference playing the PS3 once a week(like weekends) depending on your availability; will this help the PS3 last long and safe?

Appreciate your response.

Thanks.

I'm pretty much in agreement with all of the above, I use my PS3 every day, but I don't play it for "extended" periods of time, maybe 3/4 hours then I give it a break for a couple of hours then go back to it again.

As others have said there are so many variables in this, where the PS3 is situated, is it kept clean, is the room it's in kept clean, is the room cool or hot, do you vacuum the vents regularly, I could go on, see what I mean.

Don't fret about it too much, just enjoy using your PS3 & make a back-up of your saved data in case something should go wrong in the future.

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Customer Service - 1-800-345-SONY (7669)
Account & billing Support -1-877-971-SONY (7669)
Available Mon to Fri 8am - 8pm PST
Message 7 of 15 (491 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Apr 4, 2012

When I was unemployed, I played my PS3 as if it the world had ended.....

I regularly played between 6-14+ hours a day and it never skips a beat. Then i'd get bored and watch a movie or nap.

doesnt hurt the PS3 to play for extended periods.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 8 of 15 (491 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Apr 5, 2012

It only hurts the 20,40,60,80gig playstatons so if you have one of those ps3 yeah your playstation will get the yellow lights of death and it can't really be fixed when you get the ylod your ps3  is dead

Message 9 of 15 (491 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
17 posts

Apr 5, 2012

The PS3 should be fine as long you take care of it.

Things should do to your PS3:

1. Clean your PS3 Often

2. Keep it in a room of normal temperature

3. Vacuum the vents at least twice per month.

4. Clear a 3-inch space around the console. This will allow air to flow around the console and leave room for cleaning

5. When playing straight hours of non-stop, you should allow a break to your PS3 to rest at least 15 minutes.

6. One last thing, ,make sure you turn off your PS3 properly.

Good Luck! Hope this helps.

Message 10 of 15 (491 Views)
0 Likes