Nov 29 2009
By: pridesh First Son 10 posts

Playing PAL (region Free) DVDs on PS3 in USA...

9 replies 57776 views Edited Nov 29, 2009

Hello,

I have a PAL format region free DVD which I am trying to play on my PS3 in US.

While doing so, I am getting the following message:

"Video in the PAL broadcast is not supported"

Is there any way, I can change the settings on ps3 to support the PAL format as well?

Please help.

I see in other forum threads that PAL (50Hz) & NTSC (60Hz) formats can be supported by  HDTV.

But this message is thrown by PS3.... so it seems like PS3 need to support both PAL and NTSC...

Please suggest way out... 

Message 1 of 10 (57,776 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
129 posts

Re: Playing PAL (region Free) DVDs on PS3 in USA...

Jan 3, 2010

The Playstation 3 is region-free for Blu Ray.

It is up to the developer of the media of blu ray to determine the region(s), if any, of the blu ray media.

The DVD is region locked for the Playstation 3.  Depending on the country the Playstation 3 system was originally sold will determine what region of DVD's can be played.

Even if the DVD's in one's possession are legitimate (not pirated, stolen, copied, etc.),  unless the DVD is of the region of the same country of where the Playstation 3 was sold, the DVD will not work in the Playstation 3.

Unfortunately, this means if one wanted to watch a DVD one has in his/her possession one would need to play the DVD not in the Playstation 3, but in a multimedia player that would have the ability of playing it (i.e., one of the Sony Playstation 3 system's competitors).

The other workaround is to find a regionless player.

Or if you don't support regionless players, feel free to buy the system from the country with the same region as your DVD, buy the proper cables, and convertors for the proper power system, and possibly buy a proper monitor as well.

I have been wanting to play the Beatmania and Dance Dance Revolution games on my North American Playstation 3, but I cannot.  The same rules apply to the games as do the movies.

On another note but related to the last comment made, I wish the Sony Playstation 3 was Universal Plug and Play, but some USB accessories just do not work.

I guess I will have to keep doing what I am doing and support the other country's system until there is a workaround.  Yes, I have been supporting another country's economy because of the region coding.  I am merely stating what I have done for my entertainment.

Edit:  Please don't misunderstand.  I am a firm supporter of Sony, and have been for the majority of my life.  I am not a supporter of region locking.

Message Edited by Bzrro20 on 01-02-2010 09:12 PM
My PSN handle is Bzrro20.
Message 2 of 10 (57,776 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19370 posts

Jan 3, 2010

Bzrro20 wrote:

The Playstation 3 is region-free for Blu Ray.

It is up to the developer of the media of blu ray to determine the region(s), if any, of the blu ray media.

The DVD is region locked for the Playstation 3.  Depending on the country the Playstation 3 system was originally sold will determine what region of DVD's can be played.

Even if the DVD's in one's possession are legitimate (not pirated, stolen, copied, etc.),  unless the DVD is of the region of the same country of where the Playstation 3 was sold, the DVD will not work in the Playstation 3.

Unfortunately, this means if one wanted to watch a DVD one has in his/her possession one would need to play the DVD not in the Playstation 3, but in a multimedia player that would have the ability of playing it (i.e., one of the Sony Playstation 3 system's competitors).

The other workaround is to find a regionless player.

Or if you don't support regionless players, feel free to buy the system from the country with the same region as your DVD, buy the proper cables, and convertors for the proper power system, and possibly buy a proper monitor as well.

I have been wanting to play the Beatmania and Dance Dance Revolution games on my North American Playstation 3, but I cannot.  The same rules apply to the games as do the movies.

On another note but related to the last comment made, I wish the Sony Playstation 3 was Universal Plug and Play, but some USB accessories just do not work.

I guess I will have to keep doing what I am doing and support the other country's system until there is a workaround.  Yes, I have been supporting another country's economy because of the region coding.  I am merely stating what I have done for my entertainment.

Edit:  Please don't misunderstand.  I am a firm supporter of Sony, and have been for the majority of my life.  I am not a supporter of region locking.

Message Edited by Bzrro20 on 01-02-2010 09:12 PM

The PS3 is not region free for bluray.  It is region free for PS3 games, but region locked for Bluray.

But that's irrelevant, as the OP said he has a region free disc (where the actual region lock exists).

But the bigger problem is your TV, I believe.  It is still afterall NTSC, not PAL.  HD wouldn't matter, but the the NTSC/PAL apparently still matters.

Message 3 of 10 (57,776 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
129 posts

Jan 3, 2010

Ah, about the ps3 and the bluray media (not games):  noted.  This would be the A, B, C regions for Blu Ray.  Thank you for clearing that part up

The video NTSC and PAL issue:  again, thanks.

Is it still an issue once it hits 720p output or higher?

My PSN handle is Bzrro20.
Message 4 of 10 (57,776 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19370 posts

Jan 3, 2010

Bzrro20 wrote:

Ah, about the ps3 and the bluray media (not games):  noted.  This would be the A, B, C regions for Blu Ray.  Thank you for clearing that part up

The video NTSC and PAL issue:  again, thanks.

Is it still an issue once it hits 720p output or higher?

Nope, it shouldn't be an issue at 720p.

The PAL and NTSC standards are different.  But HD was made as a standard resolution.

I know some BDs have HD content and SD content, and for those, even though the region lock did not exist, I could play HD content fine, but not the SD content (which was like bonus material, deleted scenes, bloopers, etc).

Message 5 of 10 (57,776 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
21 posts

Jan 15, 2010

Region Free PAL DVD on USA PS3:  doesn't work

PAL is 25 frames persecond video, USA NTSC is 29.97 frames persecond.

Although the REGION is allowed {Region free DVD} the system refuses to compensate for the difference in frames persecond rendered.

This is SONY being cruel and nothing more.  The PS3 can play almost anything else, in many other formats but won't convert simple frames?

Many super cheap offbrands even accomplish that.  My brothers new high end Sony BD player does not play PAL, but his xbox plays it fine. 

Also a computer should play it fine using VLC or MEDIA PLAYER CLASSIC

Side note:  cheap DVD player compensated frames by very briefly pausing every second.  BARELY noticable,but usable.  PS3 could easily accomplish this.

You can go to VIDEOHELP.COM and downlaod tools to allow you to convert your PAL to MP4 (? I think) and THAT can be played back on PS3

Message 6 of 10 (57,776 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Jul 30, 2012

Asian PS2 & PS3 (region 3) despite its browser is NTSC and only plays NTSC-J games but when DVD movies are concern can play both PAL & NTSC even without modification as long as the disc is region free. Even the European PAL PS2 & PS3 (region 2) can play both PAL & NTSC DVD movies and can even output true NTSC 3.58 for NTSC DVD movies (NTSC DVD must be region free). Only U.S. (region 1) and I think also Japan (region 2) has its PAL playback for DVD movies purposly disabled. I have a U.S. PS2 modified so that it will play PAL PS2 games (but still cannot play PAL DVD movies) and it can even output true PAL 4.43MHZ 50HZ video which means that the hardware is capable for that. My PS2 is SCPH50001 NTSC U/C (fat). I don't recommend modifying the console as malfunction sometimes do happened like what I encountered and have modechip removed. It will also void your warranty.

Message 7 of 10 (56,707 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16939 posts

Jul 30, 2012

Is this really an issue?

I thought if the PS3 is connected via HDMI to an HDTV you wont have an issue with a region locked disc

Furiously Chaosing
Message 8 of 10 (56,685 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1145 posts

Mar 24, 2013

The PS3 is not region free.  Sony is against it.  You can buy a Region free Blu-ray player that plays all regions, NTSC & PAL on eBay for $120.00 and up.  There is no way to convert your PS3.

Message 9 of 10 (46,461 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jul 3, 2015

Yea i just bought the documentry of Hellraiser: Leviathan from the kickstarter. I tried the DVD on PS3 and got the same message. I haven't tried it out on the blu-ray player in the living room yet. But Windows Media Player will play DVD's plus Pal versions as well. I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate Edition. Not sure if that makes a difference... 

Message 10 of 10 (13,768 Views)
0 Likes