Wastelander
673 posts

Re: PlayStation Vita’s Operating System May Compete with Apple’s iOS

Feb 20, 2012

drakma678 wrote:

i was walking outside with my vita and it was really windy and the main menu on my vita went all crazy....the touch is to sensetive....

Wow seriously? That blows...

Message 11 of 64 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5697 posts

Feb 20, 2012

There were tons of us that begged for an app store for the PSP waaaaaay before apple had one. SONY failed to realize the potential billions to be made off 99 cent apps. They dropped the ball on the most impressive hand held at that time. We'll soon find out if they've learned from their mistakes or not. Once again, SONY is offering the most advanced hand held on the planet, now show us what it can do besides be sexy hardware.

And anything is possible, but iOS has appealed to so many demographics and accidentally realized how much money can be made off casual gamers. I'm getting a vita, but I bet my iPhone will still spend more time in my hand during the day. And I'm in the wrong forum to say which device I'd have to choose if I could only get one.

And the vita's screen is quite impressive, but pixel density is still a bit higher on the retina.

i113

RIP Michael Jackson 8-29-58 - 6-25-09
Message 12 of 64 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
605 posts

Feb 20, 2012

drakma678 wrote:

i was walking outside with my vita and it was really windy and the main menu on my vita went all crazy....the touch is to sensetive....

Yeah if i hover my finger too close to the screen it sometimes counts as a touch, totally catches me off gaurd

Twitch Channel
Message 13 of 64 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
129 posts

Feb 20, 2012

I heard and read on many different web sites that the ps vita will have a developer kit sent out for free to developers but im not entirely sure about when or to what country, but it would be very nice to see an actual app store on ps vita because it has the power to provide full power games like Gears of war, and other Unreal SDK games, if the ipod touch can then the ps vita can times 2 because the ipod and even ipad has dual core but the ps vita has a quad core so i think it would be really amazing, and maybe even some PORTAL type games in the future??? never know Lets cross our fingers!!!!!!!!!

Message 14 of 64 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1470 posts

Feb 20, 2012

to different categories really should not be compared.

Message 15 of 64 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
129 posts

Feb 20, 2012

First of all How is the Ps vita and the ipod or (IOS) in different categorys, its like saying that windows and OSX are different categorys... the ps vita is a touch screen interface with mobile capapbilities, like 3g, and wifi, just like an ipod touch or android mobile device, and it is supposed to have a dev kit sent to developers for free in the near future... IGN.com had info on it, maybe game informer too... and both devices (Not 100% sure but im pretty sure) are very fast and use "Apps" and both have stores with movies, and games, and both have netflix and facebook apps, they both use on screen keyboards that work seemlessly... and they both sport screen size and resolution close to the other (ps vita has bigger OLED screen, and Ipod touch has a resolution about 10 pixels larger give or take a few) so i see no way that you could say they are in different categorys.... can someone explain the difference in categorys to me because from what i have seen on both devices they are pretty much the same...

Message 16 of 64 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
922 posts

Feb 20, 2012

The reason people don't want them to be compared to each other is because one is phone that has apps and happens to play some games. The other is a gaming console that happens to use some apps. Too many people compare the Vita to iphones and ipads when they're nothing alike outside of sharing a touch screen and a few apps. The quality of games is in an entirely different league when you compare the two devices and that's why they shouldn't be compared.

Message 17 of 64 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
129 posts

Feb 20, 2012

okay but the ipod touch is not a phone, it was designed for games because the 4th gen had an upgraded core just like the ipad its not a phone but upgreaded to an a9 core just like the ps vita but the vita has a quad core while the a9 in the ipad is a dual core, but it is the operating system in question not the device that the operating system is on... but i see where you say that the psvita is a gaming system with apps and the iphone is a phone with game apps, well the ipod touch 4g, and 2nd gen ipad are made for gaming, just like the android acer tablet... but anywayz, the two devices are similar and i devices are not made for games but usually the Ipod or IOS devices are made for speed and Gaming systems are made for gaming but are usually not as fast well now the ps vita have the best of Both worlds!!!

Message 18 of 64 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
922 posts

Feb 20, 2012

Still the quality of games on the ipod touch are no where near what is possible on the Vita. Most gamers don't want to play a game where their fingers cover most of the screen. They want to be able to see what they're doing and use analog sticks and buttons. Can you imagine playing a game like Call of Duty in multiplayer where the entire thing was played on a touch screen? You would miss a lot of the action due to your fingers being in your line of sight.

Message 19 of 64 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
373 posts

Feb 20, 2012

xander8869 wrote:

okay but the ipod touch is not a phone, it was designed for games because the 4th gen had an upgraded core just like the ipad its not a phone but upgreaded to an a9 core just like the ps vita but the vita has a quad core while the a9 in the ipad is a dual core, but it is the operating system in question not the device that the operating system is on... but i see where you say that the psvita is a gaming system with apps and the iphone is a phone with game apps, well the ipod touch 4g, and 2nd gen ipad are made for gaming, just like the android acer tablet... but anywayz, the two devices are similar and i devices are not made for games but usually the Ipod or IOS devices are made for speed and Gaming systems are made for gaming but are usually not as fast well now the ps vita have the best of Both worlds!!!

Edit: The iPod Touch has an A4 chip, which is an ARM Cortex-A8 chip. The Vita has an ARM Cortex-A9 chip.

Um...no...the iPod Touch was not "designed" for games. It was designed as an mp3 player that functions similarly to an iPhone. Games are an afterthought on iOS devices. While on the Vita, they are the main focus with the other functions as extra. The iPod Touch (or as douchebags call it, an iTouch...ugh) is a semi-decent mp3 player that just so happens to be able to play mobile games like Angry Birds.

I actually wouldn't be surprised to see Angry Birds released for the Vita.

Message 20 of 64 (8 Views)
0 Likes