Keyblade Wielder
9581 posts

Re: PlayStation Store: STOP TAXING ME TWICE!

Feb 11, 2010
You shouldn't pay tax for a PSN card when you purchase it from a store, it should be flat out $20. As for your state/country charging tax when you purchase off PSN its really up to your state if you get taxed or not. I know where I live in Texas I get charged off PSN when I puchase a $4.99 game its around $5.
Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 18 (21 Views)
Survivor
2712 posts

Feb 11, 2010
I was going to say they don't/shouldn't tax PSN cards. I used to buy tons of iTunes prepaid cards with no sales tax involved.
Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 18 (21 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
93 posts

Feb 11, 2010

Alright, so I shouldn't be charged at the retail joint is what I took out of this, i'll keep an eye. Thanks guys.

Still, getting charged tax on the store, even if it's neccesary, creates an annoying situation for prepaid customers. I couldn't find any cards smaller than $20, and I thought buying a $20 card would buy me a 19.99 game. I guess not

Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 18 (21 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
135 posts

Feb 11, 2010
Taxes on the PSN store are specific to your state/province.  Sony does not require tax to be collected for online purchases but if your states does, you will have to pay that tax and make things harder when they cost $19.99.
G.A.P. Member since 2005

United States Navy
Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 18 (21 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
9353 posts

Feb 11, 2010

The_Remover wrote:

Scenario:

I find games I want to buy on the playstation store. They cost a total of 19.99 or 19.98 depending which I go with. 

I proceed to purchase a $20 playstation network card at a nearby store. I pay the stupid 13% sales tax.

I come home, add the $20 to my account, and go to purchase my choice of game(s) and discover that PSN wants to charge me 13% sales tax on the item.

The $20 card I bought (and paid tax on already) is now no longer enough to buy the 19.99 game which now comes to a total of 22.59.

So I have to go and buy another $20 card to pay $2.60 worth of tax? Kind of a convoluted way about things, but that's typically how these prepaid card systems work.

But more importantly - why do I have to pay tax AGAIN?

PLEASE add-in a system to detect purchases being paid with prepaid PSN cards. 

26% tax to buy digital content is ridiculous and not at all condusive to the advancement of digital distribution.

Thanks

PS - I know it's only a couple of bucks, it's the principle being discussed here and business inconsistancies. It makes no difference whether it was 50 cents or 500 bucks.

PSS - brand new PS3 owner. I bought it to play MAG among other things. Very happy with it!

Message Edited by The_Remover on 02-10-2010 03:45 PM

and this is the playstation stores fault how?
Yo dawg I heard you liked quantum mechanics so I didn't do anything, and I did something at the same time.
Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 18 (21 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1156 posts

Feb 11, 2010
It appears that there is a simple lack of coordination between Sony and the local retailer regarding the tax policy here.  Since Sony has implemented a system by which to collect the required sales tax for any specific reason the retail should not be charging any tax.  Many retailers fearing getting in trouble for tax evasion will decide on the side of caution when they are not sure whether or not to tax the sale of a particular item like PSN cards for example.  Though the "card" could be considered physical merchandise which usually would be taxable in this case the card is simply a token for which the retailer is not the final point of sale.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 18 (21 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Feb 11, 2010
your being ripped off but not by sony. I buy cards here in canada, if the card says 50 bucks on it thats all i pay. i pay taxes on the games i download though but im only taxed once.
Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 18 (21 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Mar 17, 2011

i disagree with this altogether. 2 other companies that sell gaming cards both charge sales tax in store for buying the card and do not charge tax for purchasing points or the digital download you want.

Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 18 (21 Views)
0 Likes