Highlighted
Jul 16 2010
By: InfinitiProject Uncharted Territory 1569 posts

PlayStation+ Items You Can & Can't Keep After Subscription *READ*

14 replies 558 views Edited Jul 16, 2010

There's quite a bit of sites (including the PS Blog) that are questioning whether or not add-ons, games, themes, and avatars from PlayStation Plus are yours to keep if you decide to end your subscription. I recently came across a site that shows you what items you downloaded under your PSN and also shows you if the item you purchased is yours to keep or not.

1. Go to Qriocity (This is Sony's newest service which brings Video on Demand)

2. Login with your PSN ID

3. Near the top, click on "Media"

4. Here you will see your Download History of your PS3 and/or PSP items, including PlayStation+ downloads

The screenshots below are from my download history which shows what's to keep and what isn't.

In this screenshot, you can see Hulu being a trial for Plus Members. I have a 3-month subscription which ends October 3, 2010, which is shown on the far right of the item. Dynamic themes shown in the screenshot has no date set on the far right so that means they're mines to keep.

In this next screenshot, you can see the free PlayStation Plus game "Rally Cross" and the Mini "Age of Zombies" is mines to keep until my subscription ends. Now here's where some are confused with. The DLC you see in here are free for Plus members. Again, on the right is an expiration date. This means that the DLC are not yours to keep if they're FREE.

In this screenshot you see the game "Super Stardust HD" and the addons for it that i've purchased using the Plus discount. Some people (for whatever reason) are still going around saying that any game you buy on discount are not yours to keep. This here shows that YOU DO keep the games and addons you buy with your own money on discount!

And finally, this screenshot shows the rest of the DLC that are free for PlayStation Plus members which are not yours to keep once your subscription ends. Also shown here is the themes and avatars which you can keep after your ended subscription.

Hopefully this clears everything up about what's actually yours, what isn't, and hopefully clear threads of questions on various sites about it all.

Again, if you want to check your downloads, follow the steps above to see for yourself in your Download History.

Message 1 of 15 (558 Views)
Lombax Warrior
245 posts

Re: PlayStation+ Items You Can & Can't Keep After Subscription *READ*

Jul 16, 2010

Yeah I was pretty sure that at E3 they said you keep all your Themes, Avatars AND Add-ons forever. W/E, none of the DLC thats free right now i am not really interested in anyways. But hopefully they give us discounts on Bioshock 2 DLC.

Message 2 of 15 (558 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4536 posts

Jul 16, 2010

SUMMARY: So basically Anything that is free, you don't keep...Unless it's avatars and Themes.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 3 of 15 (558 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1569 posts

Jul 16, 2010

Lapwner wrote:

Yeah I was pretty sure that at E3 they said you keep all your Themes, Avatars AND Add-ons forever. W/E, none of the DLC thats free right now i am not really interested in anyways. But hopefully they give us discounts on Bioshock 2 DLC.

At first I thought we could keep the free DLC but since you can't check the expiration date on DLC their alternative site helped out on that issue. I don't even know why I downloaded those since I don't have the games for any of them.

halowars7 wrote:

SUMMARY: So basically Anything that is free, you don't keep...Unless it's avatars and Themes.

Exactly

Message 4 of 15 (558 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1982 posts

Jul 16, 2010

Thanks for finding this.  I'll update my thread later today or early tomorrow now that it's clear.  It'll look a little barren without all the DLC.  Do you think I should add in everything to the post while still only totaling up the "keep permanently" stuff?  Actually I think I'll ask that over there.

I kudoed you!

Message 5 of 15 (558 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5987 posts

Jul 16, 2010

Unless makes major changes to the there PS3 operating system.... I don't think the system is capable (atm) of determining which DLC is valid or expired (once installed).

Most DLC is merged with the data files. In fact I think is one of the reason for EA separate login system (starting with DragonAge) is to try and micromange the DLC where Sony couldn't.

I can see them removing the DLC from your download list when it's expired however. 

Games PS1 (100+), PS2 (140+), PS3 (100+), PSP (34+)
My PS3 Website - http://sites.google.com/site/etempestps3/
Message 6 of 15 (558 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
191 posts

Jul 16, 2010

Sony said DLC would be ours to keep. They have some explaining to do

Message 7 of 15 (558 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
9842 posts

Jul 16, 2010

They wouldn't remove them from your download list, because they have already said, if you resubscribe at anytime, all items you previously downloaded for free can once again be downloaded for free if you deleted it. so if they remove them from the download list then they would have to put it back if you resubscribe.

Message 8 of 15 (558 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
188 posts

Jul 16, 2010

Funny that the Playstation Plus service does not have an end date.

Message 9 of 15 (558 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1038 posts

Jul 17, 2010

Damn, that sucks, I thought DLC would be ours to keep.  Ah well, just means I gotta get the trophies before I stop subscribing to PSN+ (roughly 5-6 years from now).

Message 10 of 15 (558 Views)
0 Likes