interesting changes coming
Message 71 of 152 (336 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4501 posts

Re: PlayStation Community Forums Changes Incoming

Aug 18, 2013

How 'bout we go back to Jive...

Still think the last forum merge was a stupid idea. Who came up with that idea in the meeting?

Keep on ruining the fourm, guys! We only use it more then you people do.

YB

Message 72 of 152 (326 Views)
Treasure Hunter
7613 posts

Re:

[ Edited ]
Apr 30, 2015

Message 73 of 152 (308 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8661 posts

Aug 18, 2013

Oh jeez. This is going to be awful. These guys aren't just getting rid of forums, they are getting rid of individual communities within these forums. Just look at the MGS forum for example, a tight knit group of users that have been here for years, they want to talk with other people that are knowledgeable about the series. They aren't going to want to wade through a bunch of other stuff to get to MGS discussions. I imagine it will be the same for users of a lot of the other sections that are being cut.

This is just going to turn people off from coming here. Smiley Mad

Message 74 of 152 (293 Views)
Treasure Hunter
7613 posts

Re:

[ Edited ]
Apr 30, 2015

Message 75 of 152 (282 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8703 posts

Aug 18, 2013

VR_F0X wrote:

Oh jeez. This is going to be awful. These guys aren't just getting rid of forums, they are getting rid of individual communities within these forums. Just look at the MGS forum for example, a tight knit group of users that have been here for years, they want to talk with other people that are knowledgeable about the series. They aren't going to want to wade through a bunch of other stuff to get to MGS discussions. I imagine it will be the same for users of a lot of the other sections that are being cut.

This is just going to turn people off from coming here. Smiley Mad

**Editors note**: Please realize what I have to say is not out of malice, even though I'm pretty bad with wording my stuff so it sounds like I am pretty buttmad at all times. But I like this place, and especially the MGS forum. So I have a lot of emotional stock invested here. I have a respect for this place, but what I say down below is what I truly believe in that will either help this place, or not. I mean no ill will towards anyone, but what has been said, had to have been said. Thank you.

I only come to this site for the MGS forum anyway. My very first post on this forum was raging about the MGO beta being exclusive to Japan. 99% of my posts are posted there. All of my friends, no... extended family, are there. If I wanted to talk about MGS, I'd talk about it in its own forum.

Not to mention very few idiots ever end up posting there. All that's going to happen when everything is merged is "Hey guys, hear that new MGS info?" "MGS IS FOR STUPIDS LOLZ RATE MY SIG". Because that filter is gone. These people spam other forums that they go to, and that's fine, but now we're forced to post somewhere else instead of discussing it in its own home where any and all MGS discussions are welcome.

Just look at this thread. People say "This is a bad move, please rethink it!" other people come in, screaming "DON'T LIKE IT, WELL GO TO ANOTHER FORUM! RATE MY SIG!". It's bullheaded and ignorant to force us all together. I don't want to be here with these people. I want to be in the MGS forum with my people, because that's a game that people relate to in their own specific way, maybe exactly the opposite of something like Dead Space. And, again, dude. There are 2 MGS games coming out, alongside an MGS movie. Why, oh why, segregate us now?

Also, Dark Souls? Really? There's another one coming out next year. Dark Souls is a very specific game and people will need very specific info on that. So when someone posts up a "Hey guys, need some help here" and gets flooded with "SORRY BRO I PLAY DEAD SPACE! RATE MY SIG!", they're going to wonder, gee, I wish there was a place for Dark Souls fans to get together and discuss Dark Souls.

In closing, I have a couple of things to say.

This is NOT how you go about making this the best place for Playstation fans to talk about things. This is how you sugarcoat it to get people on board without actually saying or doing anything. It's smarmy. "Hey guys, let me be the first to say, you're the greatest. The best! Better than the rest! Okay? Good. Now, we're shutting everything down." Involve us in a dialog here. Give us some respect and maybe we will agree and accept the changes even if we don't like them. If you're willing to involve us with these decisions, then we can see you obviously care for what we want.

Perhaps, run these ideas by the community first? Give us a heads up? Or, ask us what would make this site "the best place for the PlayStation Community to talk about, well whatever you guys want to talk about"?

As a matter of fact, that very quote is also smarmy. "best place for the PlayStation Community to talk about, well whatever you guys want to talk about"? Well I want to talk about MGS. So, yeah, go ahead and not close that down. That entire opening line is built to sham us into believing you guys are hip and out to "understand us". I honestly read it and expected to see "So, what suggestions do you guys have for us? Here's what we're thinking, and let's see what you guys need, thanks!". That's how you do it. That's how you manage a community. You don't make changes for the sake of making changes. You involve your community in a dialog and better understand their wants and their needs.

This is what happened when you killed the forums the first time. This place used to be VERY, VERY ACTIVE. Even these "smaller/about to be shut down for inactivity" boards were booming. Then, something called Jive came along and made this site so complicated, everyone left. People even posted traffic reports for this site to see just how much of a hit it took. And if that wasn't good enough, well, the site was dead. Boards that were active were now inactive because they were so hard to find. We had to jump through hoops just to get back to where we were before. Why? Change for the sake of change. That's it. Nothing was wrong with lithium. You look at any other forum site and it was pretty much the same. Boards, discussions, users. But we had to be "hip"(I mean "Jive"? Seriously?)

Look at something like GiantBomb.com. That place has, in my opinion, the PERFECT forum. You go over to the forum tab and it expands a drop menu where you can see the popular forums for the day, but by clicking on the forum tab, you are brought to the main forum, where you can see every topic from every forum when it is bumped. I guess you can call it a "Forum for forums". Like some sort of "overwatch". But the best part about them, they have specific forums as well. They have an entire database dedicated to being the biggest and best user-run wiki on the internet, and so each individual item on the database has its own forum. They don't care about traffic, or what gets the most hits, because it would be disingenuous to force people to post on the same things in the same area with a database so big and so to, a forum for everything in it.

That's a pretty good concept, and they execute it masterfully. There are no issues with the site, there are no issues with the forums there, and most importantly, there is a sense of community that doesn't have to live in fear of having a forum shut down.

Oh, and rate my sig.

Take back the future
Message 76 of 152 (274 Views)
Treasure Hunter
7613 posts

Re:

[ Edited ]
Apr 30, 2015

Message 77 of 152 (269 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
39152 posts

Aug 18, 2013

chickenbonetom wrote:

^ Talk about overkill lol

At least CR has a view & explained it pretty well, better than just saying something like 'this is dumb' & leaving it at that.

BRIT-KO

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Message 78 of 152 (266 Views)
Treasure Hunter
7613 posts

Re:

[ Edited ]
Apr 30, 2015

Message 79 of 152 (249 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
5977 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 18, 2013

Would like to say some of the changes have already started. I'm starting to get emails of the threads I've participated in or at least the ones I created. Never received emails like that before but it's goofs though.I now know when someone adds to the PS4 thread.

Message 80 of 152 (234 Views)
0 Likes