Highlighted
Jan 16 2014
By: mochuuu SIEA 1490 posts

PlayStation Community Forum Changes Coming Next Week

[ Edited ]
303 replies 6026 views Edited Jan 22, 2014

1/21 Update: http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/PS-Community-Forums-Update-1-21/td-p/4278...

Hi everyone,

We have some important announcements regarding the PlayStation Community Forums that we’d like to share with you.

Our goal is to establish the PlayStation Community Forums as the best place for PlayStation gamers to talk about games, without getting lost, or fracturing conversations across multiple boards, with better community management, moderation, and bigger, more useful threads that are more fun to participate in and contain the information that helps you as a gamer.

So with that in mind, please check out what we’ll be changing; with many changes starting this Tuesday, 1/21. 

Closing All 1st and 3rd Party Forums that don’t have an Official Community Manager presence

We’re focusing on creating the best place to discuss games from our 1st Party World Wide Studios like Naughty Dog (creators of games like The Last of Us), Santa Monica Studios (creators of games like God of War), and more, while also offering up a new community structure that enables you to find fellow gamers who are interested in all the other awesome games from our friends across the 3rd party landscape. The issue now is that not every game has its own board, and for those that do, new members of the community are confused on where they should be posting conversations on those games.

To make things cleaner, and providing a community platform with tons of great content, we will be closing 3rd party sub forums as well as genres, however third party boards with official community management presence will remain, and we will create more dedicated sub-forums if and when developers request their creation and commit to maintaining a presence within.

After this change, the following boards will remain:

-          PlayStation General

-          Support

-          Off-Topic

-          God of War

-          The Last of Us

-          PlayStation All Stars

-          Sound Shapes

-          LittleBigPlanet

-          PlayStation Home

-          Uncharted

-          Gran Turismo

-          Blacklight Retribution (Zombie Studios)

These changes will start on 1/21 and be completed on 1/23.

To offset this major change, we’re implementing new functionality to the PlayStation General board to help you find the types of conversations you want (see below for more info on this).

Dedicated Threads for Games

We still want the community to be able to find others who share interests in a specific game, even though there won’t be a dedicated board for it. We’re working with the PlayStation MVPs and other members of the community to create dedicated threads on specific games. Many of these already exist in some form, but these threads will now be known as [INFO] threads and will help keep all conversation about specific titles in one place. This means less duplicate threads on the same topic, and more gamers finding gamers to discuss their favorite games.

These types of threads are already being created across the community and we’ll be ensuring that they are Labeled as the official [INFO] thread for that game.

If you’re interested in assisting in creating [INFO] threads for the community, PM me for more information. We’ll be creating a central listing of all [INFO] threads so that you can find them, even if they’re not at the top of the page on PlayStation General.

Thread Migrations

But before we get to the new functionality, a quick note: Even though we’re closing some boards, we know that there are a lot of great conversations in those sections that we don’t want to lose. Any major threads or current threads that are in active discussion will be migrated to PlayStation General. The rest will be archived. If there’s a thread that didn’t make the move and you want it migrated, just PM PSForumMods with “Thread Move Request” in the title. We’ll get it taken care of.

When we do these operations, you may notice a slight influx of threads in to PlayStation General. These threads will likely appear as unread as well, but should be sorted in chronological order of last replied.

These changes will start on 1/21 and be completed on 1/23.

Introduction of Labels

To assist our community in finding content that is relevant to your interests, we will offer you a new feature called “Labels” in the PlayStation General forum.

You can actually use them right now. In the new changes though, Labels will be a pre-determined descriptor that only the creator of a thread can apply to their thread. When you create a thread, you’ll be asked to select a Label type:

Games & Platforms (only PlayStation CMs and MVPs will be able to utilize this Label)

Feedback & Ideas

Debate & Opinion

Events & Activities We decided to change this to "Compete & Connect"

News & Announcement

Ask the Community

You’ll be able to sort conversations in PlayStation General board by clicking on the Labels so you can browse the conversation types that you’re interested in. This will be an evolving function and we’re looking forward to getting your feedback on this new feature.

Labels will be in effect starting on 1/21 and will be continually evolving from there. I'll have a seperate post on Labels on Tueday 1/21. 

Better Management of Conversations

With the focus on PlayStation General, we want to be better about managing conversations. To ensure high conversation quality, we are increasing the number of moderators in PlayStation General who will have a focus on content moderation. This includes moderators renaming threads to be more descriptive, adjusting for capitalization, merging duplicate threads, as well as taking a more active stance on threads that spin out of control or have run their course. We will not have moderators edit actual post content, and or edit content that is critical of our products. We always welcome feedback, positive or negative, and only ask that you be constructive with your feedback and respect others with different viewpoints.

We’ll be here alongside you all while these changes take effect. If you notice anything strange, please post in the Forum Support section or PM PSForumMods.

So let us know your thoughts on these changes. We’ll be responding to questions on this thread as much as possible, but we’re looking forward to continuing to build the PlayStation Community with you.

Message 1 of 304 (6,026 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1209 posts

Re: PlayStation Community Forum Changes Coming Next Week

Jan 16, 2014

This should be wonderful.....

Message 2 of 304 (6,006 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5477 posts

Jan 16, 2014

By and large, these changes sound to be very much for the positive.  I know that folks who post in the departing forums may be initially upset, but, with dedicated threads, the existing thread migration, and, most of all, the label feature, I think we're in for something that may streamline more than it truncates.

In other words, I am cautiously optimistic that this will, in fact, be the bee's knees.

Thanks for the heads up.

Grindhead_Jim

Message 3 of 304 (5,998 Views)
Uncharted Territory
2032 posts

Jan 16, 2014
i guess that means the elder scrolls and cod pages are gone. This is going to be really exciting for the general forums
Message 4 of 304 (5,969 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3345 posts

Jan 16, 2014

I'm sure there will be plenty of immediate criticism for the changes, but I'm hoping everyone takes time to get acquainted with the changes before rushing to conclusions. I look forward to seeing how all of this is implemented come next week.

Message 5 of 304 (5,953 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
13100 posts

Jan 16, 2014
Change number 4
Bring back colored ranks
Are you a WWE fan? click here to join the discussion

Thanks Saviorsixtysix for the sig
Message 6 of 304 (5,942 Views)
SIEA
1490 posts

Jan 16, 2014

ToXiC_Skiils wrote:
Change number 4
Bring back colored ranks

Would you mind letting us know how specifically you would like to see it changed? The more detailed feedback we have, the better we can understand how we can continue to build the PlayStation Community Forums with you guys. 

Thanks! 

Message 7 of 304 (5,920 Views)
MVP Support
9038 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 16, 2014

Feedback? i know a lot of these things won't happen but might as well suggest then

Custom colored ranks=Bring back ranks with special colors like when people won contest etc.Having custom colors makes the MVP's stand out more a lot of people were not happy with that change.I think the reason why the MVP's were confused as moderators was because their name color was almost the same.If they bring back custom colored ranks just make the MVP's a specific color and not similar to the one's our moderators or community managers and have an exclusive color for all special ranks if they don't want a lot of confusion.

Custom avatars=Seriously the EU forums have custom avatars why cannot we have then here as well?

More signature space=The amount of signature space we have here is very limited that i have to resize my signature.More signature space would be nice.

KANE-FIRE

Message 8 of 304 (5,897 Views)
MVP Support
13312 posts

Jan 16, 2014

KANE-FIRE wrote:

Feedback? i know a lot of these things won't happen but might as well suggest then

Custom colored ranks=Bring back ranks with special colors like when people won contest etc.Having custom colors makes the MVP's stand out more a lot of people were not happy with that change.I think the reason why the MVP's were confused as moderators was because their name color was almost the same.If they bring back custom colored ranks just make the MVP's a specific color and not similar to the one's our moderators or community managers and have an exclusive color for all special ranks if they don't want a lot of confusion.

Custom avatars=Seriously the EU forums have custom avatars why cannot we have then here as well?

More signature space=The amount of signature space we have here is very limited that i have to resize my signature.More signature space would be nice.

I'd love to see the custom colored ranks come back too.

As for custom avatars, I remember asking about that awhile ago and hearing that they were taken away due to people using inappropriate ones. So I think a good balance would be to have some default ones for people to choose from (whether they have a system or not). And if you wanted to use more, access the change avatar setting on your system.

Sig space... I remember being on Nintendo's boards years ago and the most we got was around 200 px wide by 48 px tall. So what we have here is pretty good. It's similar to what Sages, Mods and Admins got on there. Yea it would be nice to be able to have slightly bigger sigs, but we don't need overly large ones either.

smdedspace2.png

Smiley HappyRobot Happy/FAQ and Rules & Conduct//FAQ about reports/Forum Team info/Robot Very Happy/WC Forum Resources/ PSN friends thread/Life and Gaming -- My blog

Playstation customer support numbers: 1-877-971-7669 (for billing and Playstation Network); 1-800-345-7669 (for technical support)
Message 9 of 304 (5,882 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
370 posts

Jan 16, 2014

I really can't wait to see how this plays out. I'm excited but I don't understand why the Games & Platforms Label can only be used by PlayStation CMs and MVPs but anyone could use the News & Announcements label. Shouldn't that be the other way around?

Playstation Money
SHAREfactory 5x1
Message 10 of 304 (5,872 Views)
0 Likes