May 05 2013
By: Da_Almighty_Guy Naughty Paw 20022 posts

PlayStation 4's Share Button Expected to Have Limitations

12 replies 296 views Edited May 5, 2013

http://www.psu.com/a019296/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+PlayStati...

"The introduction of the Share button on the PS4 controller instilled in gamers the excitement of potentially sharing epic fights and kill streaks with friends at any time, but Yoshida indicates that developers have control over what gamers can share. Yoshida had this to say in regards to the Share button:

'There will be parts of a game that the maker does not want people to be able to see. For example, on Vita, developers can in certain scenes disable the feature that lets users take a screenshot, and (the Share function) will have a similar mechanism. The creator may not want to make video of the final boss sharable, for instance.'

It goes without saying that developers would rather have their content purchased and played rather than streamed from a Youtube account of some random fan, so the necessity for limitations makes perfect sense for Sony to implement. Better still, each developer will have full control over this function, so the team doesn't need to work around any built-in roadblocks that could have been built into the PS4 software.

Specific details on this aspect of the Share button were not disclosed, but the control that developers will have with the PS4 is admirable. These control schemes may allow developers to control pre-released content much easier, at least in terms of the content within the games themselves. For instance, early review copies could have limits on what journalists can record and use in their reviews, and then developers could lift those limitations once the game's release date arrives. Until further information is disclosed, this concept is pure speculation."

What are your thoughts on such restrictions? Do you like the idea that the developers will be able to limit what we share with our friends via the Share button?

Personally, I like the idea of locking some areas of the game for a certain amount of time after the game is released, but it should eventually become unlocked later via a patch or update. Having something like an easter egg or final boss locked from being Shared forever would be a bad decision, IMO.

So, what do you think of this. I just saw this update on Twitter and thought that you should share your thoughts on this. Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 13 (296 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28681 posts

Re: PlayStation 4's Share Button Expected to Have Limitations

May 5, 2013

Fine by me. Unfortunately it won't satiate the screaming hordes about how they don't want a "Facebook machine".

Message 2 of 13 (287 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3589 posts

May 5, 2013
I think its also so that the Devs wont accept things that are not of the game like mods and stuff to be shared because that can supposedly become known as "bad news" according to the Devs point of view and the games image..but, They shouldn't be able to limit the freedom of sharing the cool parts of the game, especially when sharing o new players that wonder what the game is like...maybe its also because of a potential exploit that might be made through the share feature and therefore the feature mist be blocked..who knows why..Anyways i think its absurd for devs to block that feature to their users
Message 3 of 13 (284 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2785 posts

May 5, 2013

I don't really cared a whole lot about the "share" button. I just wish they kept the start and slect button. I buy a gaming console for games, not to socialize. I already have a laptop for that.

Message 4 of 13 (279 Views)
Fender Bender
3589 posts

May 5, 2013
Yeah i wouldn't care for the button either as well Smiley Tongue.
Message 5 of 13 (277 Views)
Fender Bender
4292 posts

May 5, 2013

It makes sense to limit the sharing ability, atleast certain parts for a while before/after release.

Message 6 of 13 (261 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16939 posts

May 5, 2013

Doesn't matter to me.

This isn't going to prevent people who have youtube channels already who have the capture equipment already.....

Furiously Chaosing
Message 7 of 13 (229 Views)
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

May 5, 2013

Da_Almighty_Guy wrote:

http://www.psu.com/a019296/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+PlayStati...

"The introduction of the Share button on the PS4 controller instilled in gamers the excitement of potentially sharing epic fights and kill streaks with friends at any time, but Yoshida indicates that developers have control over what gamers can share. Yoshida had this to say in regards to the Share button:

'There will be parts of a game that the maker does not want people to be able to see. For example, on Vita, developers can in certain scenes disable the feature that lets users take a screenshot, and (the Share function) will have a similar mechanism. The creator may not want to make video of the final boss sharable, for instance.'

It goes without saying that developers would rather have their content purchased and played rather than streamed from a Youtube account of some random fan, so the necessity for limitations makes perfect sense for Sony to implement. Better still, each developer will have full control over this function, so the team doesn't need to work around any built-in roadblocks that could have been built into the PS4 software.

Specific details on this aspect of the Share button were not disclosed, but the control that developers will have with the PS4 is admirable. These control schemes may allow developers to control pre-released content much easier, at least in terms of the content within the games themselves. For instance, early review copies could have limits on what journalists can record and use in their reviews, and then developers could lift those limitations once the game's release date arrives. Until further information is disclosed, this concept is pure speculation."

What are your thoughts on such restrictions? Do you like the idea that the developers will be able to limit what we share with our friends via the Share button?

Personally, I like the idea of locking some areas of the game for a certain amount of time after the game is released, but it should eventually become unlocked later via a patch or update. Having something like an easter egg or final boss locked from being Shared forever would be a bad decision, IMO.

So, what do you think of this. I just saw this update on Twitter and thought that you should share your thoughts on this. Smiley Happy

Thats the dumbest thing I've ever heard...Do they not know that gamers and reviewers have been using 3rd party software for years to upload stuff to youtube? Why not make it more accessible? I promise that any game with these "un-sharable" sections, will still be on youtube, should they be significant enough to warrant help or guides.

Its like, lets take a good idea, and make it an annoyance, sometimes I really dont think the pencil pushers that come up with this stuff, really think if through.

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 8 of 13 (224 Views)
Wastelander
646 posts

May 6, 2013

Yeah, I don't see much purpose to this.  This content will be streamed and uploaded regardless of the developers' wishes.

Message 9 of 13 (204 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
MVP Support
6838 posts

May 6, 2013

I don't really care either way, but I agree with the last two posts.  The content will be "shared" anway, it just makes their share function less useful.  However, I think developers will realize that, so I don't see it being restricted in most cases.  

Message 10 of 13 (143 Views)
0 Likes