Welcoming Committee
4404 posts

Re: PlayStation 4 premium service ideas/predictions

Mar 30, 2013

Updated OP with link.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 11 of 16 (93 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
6097 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 30, 2013

My Prediction is much more fathomable -

Everything will stay the same with Free online play/chat, purchasing games, access to apps for free just like PS3, and highly possible the share button will allow friends to access the game you play if you like and show what you recently played - shared video's may be limited per day/week basis so not to overload the servers.

PS+ will be revamped seeing as PSN purchases will not exist or a Digital PS1/PS3 library or strong PS4 library to go off of.

PS+ will taylor off of Gaikai by giving a few accessible streaming PS1, PS2, and PS3 games, Discounts off of PS4 digital games, and cloud Storage larger than it is now - this makes sense (discounted PS4 games) seeing as the Hard drive is mentioned to be "large" but saves will be in the cloud to help with space. You will also be given a "Channel" to keep all your streamed video's on file (for months/unlimited) with links to give to your friends.

Gaikai will be a two tiered service, one for "select" games library of games per month for PS+ members with the same "12 games from the start" and 11 additional per year of the PS+subscription . Two will be the Gaikai "Try, Rent, Buy" model they had on PC and what Onlive does for thier business model for people who wish to play PS1,PS2, and PS3 games - saves will work if you had transferred those over or had saves in the cloud. Repackaged goods is nothing new to any company, Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony, and many third party developers did this this gen with HD remakes and Collections.

Cloud gaming btw is the newest thing to jump on right now and Sony did the right thing in purchasing Gaikai - there's a bigger picture here that people just don't care to notice. While the PS4 will be the first console to do this testing ground - once the bugs, nuances, and it's up and running well - I'm sure due to it being a streaming videogame service it will go the way Netflix does things - put the service on as many devices as possible. Let's say you are playing a streaming PS3 game on your PS4 and have to leave but want to keep playing. So you leave but bring your controller with you as well as your smartphone. You install Gaikai on your Smartphone and keep gaming while you are on the go - this could work rather well for 4G unlimited members especially - could be the reason why we recently saw a recent 4G/HDMI patent for Vita BTW. Let's say you left to go to a friends house but your friend only has a 360/720 but also has a smart-TV (Sony or whatever) and has access to the Gaikai app - you can continue playing your game from thier TV, saves and all.

~NEVER STOP GAMING definition successful...

Message 12 of 16 (87 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Mar 30, 2013

The Ustream aspect is only dependent on the client (someones PS4) and the server (the actual Ustream service). 

This is not dependent on the PSN, but WHOLLY dependent on the upload speed of the person playing on their PS4 is going to be.

The integration of Ustream, what I think it does, is simply enable the user to toggle on/off their live stream. I am 100% certain that every PS4 is not going to be live-streaming their gameplay anytime someone is using their PS4.

Just as it is with COD Black Ops 2 having the ability to live stream gameplay.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 13 of 16 (77 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8191 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 20, 2013

HorrorGod wrote:

After the PS4 was announced in February, Jack Tretton had mentioned in an interview (can't find link) that he would be open to the possibility of the PS4 offering different tiers for their premium service, like their competitor (Microsoft)

EDIT: Found link of interview with Sony Worldwide Studio boss, Shuhei Yoshida. He mentions the tier system idea. Still can't find the interview I read with Tretton.

http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/news/a461615/all-ps4-games-available-to-download-sony-to-add-tiered...

If they choose to do this, they mentioned the tiers being modeled after their trophies. Here is what I think would be a great tier system.

Bronze: Free. Pretty much what we have now when you take a PS3 out of the box. (Free online, access to apps, messaging, etc.)

Silver: This would be what we call "PlayStation Plus." As well as maybe some other features. (maybe uStream your games?)

Gold: All of what you get with Silver, as well as maybe limited access to game streaming through Gaikai.

Platinum: Silver and Gold features, plus FULL access to all available games through Gaikai.

The reason I added the uStream feature as a premium service, is that I can't wrap my mind around that being FREE.

That is a LOT of bandwidth. I could see having people being able to hit the "Share" button to allow friends watch what they're playing, be free, but to allow them to stream it over the internet on to uStream for free? I hope I'm wrong, but we'll see.

And I'm only kidding myself if I think streaming old PS games through Gaikai will be free.

How about anyone else? Do you think Sony will use some kind of tier system for premium service? Stick to what they're doing now and just have PlayStation Plus? What would be your perfect tier system?

Hi you sent me here! Remember?

I see what your getting at, but think of this from a business standpoint. You pay people money to give your customers these free bonuses. So why would they add more plans and pay more for the people that are complaining. And if they have more plans it will end up costing more to get these free bonuses for the customers thus causing the plans to cost more. And none of these PS+ plans will be free.

Bronze: Free. Pretty much what we have now when you take a PS3 out of the box. (Free online, access to apps, messaging, etc.)

Silver: This would be what we call "PlayStation Plus." As well as maybe some other features. (maybe uStream your games?)

Gold: All of what you get with Silver, as well as maybe limited access to game streaming through Gaikai.

Platinum: Silver and Gold features, plus FULL access to all available games through Gaikai.

That would be the lowest plan. No doubt it will cost what it does now. What is it? $17.59 for 3 months and $49.99 for a full year subscription? Why pay more for other plans that supposely give you more features when what you can accept what they are doing now and pay the simple price of $17.59 for 3 months ( I think it is a better deal because it takes longer to pay off $49.99 ) The reason I think people are complaining is they arent accepting the fact that the PS+ isnt required for " Online " when they hear people shout " Online " they go straight to thinking that it will be like the XBL plans that are in act now and will always be in act.

What im getting here is that Bronze will basicly have no subscription at all. Why am I thinking this is beacuse there is no subscription once you get it out of the box.  

Cost = FREE * No addition features exept default *

Here is what you are saying will be what we have now. A monthly subscription of just $4.17, and in return you would get; Free games, Betas, Avatars, Dynamic Themes, etc.

Here is a link to the full details.

Streaming your games will most likely be free nomatter what. It is apart of the system. And im taking this as we have now no additional features.

Cost = $4.17 A Month * PlaystionPlus features as we have now *

Streaming games will most likely be free. But if it isnt here will be me guess on the cost. Remember you said silver + streaming

( The cost from now on will me my estimation since none of these exist )

Cost = $9.99 A Month * Silver + Streaming through uStream *

Here would obviously be the highest plan. This plan would include Gold + Silver features + full acces to all available games through Gaikai.

Cost = $15.99 A Month + Silver & Gold + Gaikai Streaming

No matter what you will be paying for multiplayer. No doubt what so ever no ifs ands buts about it. So the multiplayer will be included in the Silver plan. which is what we have now. So why not erase all of those other plans and have those features go with the Silver plan having it still cost the same price as PS+ will today? So now we are left with this.

Basic: PS4 Default as it out the box. Everything is able to be accesed except the Multiplayer features.

Cost = FREE * Everything available except Multiplayer *

The streaming is unknown to me but will most likely be free.

PlaystationPlus: Multiplayer access, Betas, Instant Game Collection, Avatars, and Dynamic Themes, etc.

Cost = $4.17 A Month * Everythinig is available *

Isnt this so much more simple?

FiveFourteen
Ask FiveFourteen,Twitter,Google+
"I am passionate, vigilant, motivated, and I am proud to be a part of the PlayStation Community."
Message 14 of 16 (58 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
4404 posts

Jun 20, 2013

FiveFourteen wrote:

Isn't that what I just said in the previous thread? Smiley Wink

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 15 of 16 (53 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8191 posts

Jun 20, 2013

HorrorGod wrote:

FiveFourteen wrote:

Isn't that what I just said in the previous thread? Smiley Wink

Re: online gaming should be free

FiveFourteen wrote:

HorrorGod wrote:

FiveFourteen wrote:

You kids needa stop complaining about what your parents give you money for. Get off your **bleep** and work. You mad that you have to pay $50 dollars forsomething that is completely worth getting? You should already have PlaystationPlus. You act like its the end of the world that you are paying for " Multiplayer. " Yes, " Multiplayer "  not " Online. " If it wasn't for this Sony wouldn't be able to give us a better online experience, or you can think of it like this. Monthly Multiplayer Fee = Used Games Support / No Monthly Multiplayer Fee = No Used Games Support. 

Thats my rant for the day.

You Wrote

It's a bit prejudice to assume everyone that has a negative opinion of Multiplayer costing money, is a kid.

I agree with some of the member's opinions.  I'm 30, married, and I own a house. I have other bills to pay.

But, video games are just about my only "hobby." Have been since I was a little kid. I don't buy toys, comics, or collectibles.

I buy/collect video games.

With that said, I've always liked that online gaming was free for PS3. I never bought a Gold membership for my 360, because I didn't think it was right to have to pay-to-play online.

I'm not mad that Sony is doing this for PS4. I agree, it will make the online service better (hopefully.)

My brother was joking with me over the weekend about how the voice-chat on PS3 sounds like we're trying to communicate through CB radios. Hopefully things like this are better on PS4. (he is used to the 360 chat, which is much more clear.)

I've been a PS+ subscriber since it launched. So, multiplayer being included doesn't effect me. What bothers me, is now PS+ is necessary (when it was originally not) in order to play online. Before, I could let my PS+ expire for a few weeks, if needed. My "Free' games would still be there, my saves would still be safely tucked away in the cloud, and all was good. Now, if I let it laps for even one day, I will not able to play multiplayer.

In my opinion, there were plenty of other ways Sony could have gone about charging for online features, while still keeping the basic free online multiplayer intact. Just my 2 cents. But, as I said. I am already a PS+ member, I plan to stay a PS+ member, and I will pay the $50 bucks a month to have multiplayer be part of that. Even if I don't have a positive opinion about it.

I Wrote

There really is no other way Sony could have gone about doing the fee for online. They did with it slightly by just doing it with multiplayer. You can never pay for PS+ and still beable to use your system online. All the apps will be usuable. Everything. The only way for them to change this is to add the fee to fully online base. Would you rather that? I dont think so.

You Wrote

Think outside the box.

I can think of a few things they could have done to charge for online features (to have the money go towards helping improve the overall online structure), while still keeping basic (keyword: basic) online multiplayer free.

I'm sure you could too.

I made a thread about ideas a few months ago. Before they announced multiplayer was part of PS+ at E3, and after they revealed the PS4 in February.

But, adding MP as a part of PS+ was a much more simple and easy way to go.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Man I have a bad memory.... Lets pretend I was saying that to everyone else Smiley Wink

*Feels Stuipid*
FiveFourteen
Ask FiveFourteen,Twitter,Google+
"I am passionate, vigilant, motivated, and I am proud to be a part of the PlayStation Community."
Message 16 of 16 (47 Views)