Mar 30 2013
By: HorrorGod Welcoming Committee 4404 posts

PlayStation 4 premium service ideas/predictions

[ Edited ]
15 replies 565 views Edited Mar 30, 2013

After the PS4 was announced in February, Jack Tretton had mentioned in an interview (can't find link) that he would be open to the possibility of the PS4 offering different tiers for their premium service, like their competitor (Microsoft)

EDIT: Found link of interview with Sony Worldwide Studio boss, Shuhei Yoshida. He mentions the tier system idea. Still can't find the interview I read with Tretton.

http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/news/a461615/all-ps4-games-available-to-download-sony-to-add-tiered...

If they choose to do this, they mentioned the tiers being modeled after their trophies. Here is what I think would be a great tier system.

Bronze: Free. Pretty much what we have now when you take a PS3 out of the box. (Free online, access to apps, messaging, etc.)

Silver: This would be what we call "PlayStation Plus." As well as maybe some other features. (maybe uStream your games?)

Gold: All of what you get with Silver, as well as maybe limited access to game streaming through Gaikai.

Platinum: Silver and Gold features, plus FULL access to all available games through Gaikai.

The reason I added the uStream feature as a premium service, is that I can't wrap my mind around that being FREE.

That is a LOT of bandwidth. I could see having people being able to hit the "Share" button to allow friends watch what they're playing, be free, but to allow them to stream it over the internet on to uStream for free? I hope I'm wrong, but we'll see.

And I'm only kidding myself if I think streaming old PS games through Gaikai will be free.

How about anyone else? Do you think Sony will use some kind of tier system for premium service? Stick to what they're doing now and just have PlayStation Plus? What would be your perfect tier system?

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 1 of 16 (565 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
18896 posts

Re: PlayStation 4 premium service ideas/predictions

Mar 30, 2013

I don't like it.

SONY should keep it simple. PSN & PS+  Any other tiers and PSN will go down the toilet & dry.

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Message 2 of 16 (550 Views)
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Mar 30, 2013

i dont like it either..sounds the way of another system...

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 3 of 16 (546 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1042 posts

Mar 30, 2013
I agree they should keep the Free and PS+ option, if it aint broken......
The "share" option could be free but limited, like say, only being able to use once every two hours, of course PS+ users don't have that limit.
Message 4 of 16 (540 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2609 posts

Mar 30, 2013

Well while a premium service sounds possibly bad, without a source I can't believe that there is a premium service and thus it is taken as a rumor to me.

Deadly Neurotoxin!
 photo rsz_1rsz_11rsz_1000px-fpsword_zps44b9ca31.png
Message 5 of 16 (530 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
263 posts

Mar 30, 2013
I think because IGC is limited they ad the streaming of a netflix or hulu+. Until a decent library builds for IGC
Message 6 of 16 (520 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
4404 posts

Mar 30, 2013

Bulletpainpills wrote:

Well while a premium service sounds possibly bad, without a source I can't believe that there is a premium service and thus it is taken as a rumor to me.

I didn't say there IS a premium service. I said Jack Trenton mentioned he was "open to the idea of."

As of right now, the only premium service available on PS3 is "PlayStation Plus."

But, I have a feeling that may change with the PS4. With all the features they are showing off / talking about, I doubt they will be FREE, nor just PS+ exclusives.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 7 of 16 (512 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
4404 posts

Mar 30, 2013

Xuchilbara wrote:

I don't like it.

SONY should keep it simple. PSN & PS+  Any other tiers and PSN will go down the toilet & dry.

Doubtful. It has been proven that it works. See Microsoft.

I'm sure playing online will still be free. If they were to add premium service tiers besides PS+, it would more than likely be features "casual gamers" could live without, while more die-hard gamers wouldn't mind paying a little extra for. (i.e. streaming/recording games directly from your PS4 to your uStream account.)

Message 8 of 16 (511 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
336 posts

Mar 30, 2013

I am hoping E3 will clarify any intentions Sony has for tiers.

Message 9 of 16 (492 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2785 posts

Mar 30, 2013

I am very curious about these subscription services. 

Message 10 of 16 (486 Views)
0 Likes