May 16 2010
By: Cormier6083 Fender Bender 4326 posts

PlayStation 3 Blu-Ray Ribbon Cable clip broke; not reading disks

10 replies 2502 views Edited May 16, 2010

Hi there folks. In the past I have gotten a couple of YLoD and had to reflow the board. Not a big deal to me anymore. But the last time I did it, I broke the clip on the logic board that connects the ribbon cable to the motherboard. This seems to happen to a lot of people. So, I taped it down and wedged it in tight. Luckily, it connects and it ejects disks as normal. Only problem is it does not read the disks. It does nothing but spin the disk up and... thats it. Now I'm thinking it's something to do with the drive board because my downloaded games are not working. Meaning it's not reading the checksum. And I'm not sure if this is to do with the board or the connection between the logic board and the ribbon cable. 

If someone could give me some theories or things to try, I would greatly appreciate it. 

Photobucket
Message 1 of 11 (2,502 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8172 posts

Re: PlayStation 3 Blu-Ray Ribbon Cable clip broke; not reading disks

May 16, 2010

I fixed a PSP with a broken LCD cable clip. What I did is that I applied a piece of electrical tape on the opposite side of the FFC's connector. Then using some force, I jammed the thickened FFC cable into the damaged slot, careful not to break or bend the pins. Then a piece of tape is used to hold the FFC in place.

Message 2 of 11 (2,502 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4326 posts

May 17, 2010

Tried, but no cigar. 

I'm ordering a new ribbon cable to be safe. The one I have now I trimmed some of the end off because a couple were broken but I find it's a little too short. So I'll try again with the new cable. But, blue light, ejecting disk. It's just not reading it. 

Photobucket
Message 3 of 11 (2,502 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

May 17, 2010
Hi, I have the similar problem as yours just my ribbon cable is fine. Did you try insert a CD or DVD to play. My test result is here, please take a look http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-General/Reading-disc-problem-after-fixed-the-YLOD-p...
Message 4 of 11 (2,502 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
71 posts

May 17, 2010
Woo this is dangerous...

I suggest you either send in to Sony and pay for repair fees if not go ahead and get PS3 Slim and transfer the data over ^^
Final Fantasy XIII Lighting Edition PS3
Message 5 of 11 (2,502 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
705 posts

May 17, 2010

Is the clip like broken in 2? If its still in one peice and just the holding tabs on the two ends are broken you should be able to sit the clip in place and it should hold. I broke the other one and had a rough time tring to get it to sit properly (don't use any force), but eventually got it. Even sat my ps3 vertical and its still holding.

INFORM YOURSELF
Watch:
Secret Space
Zeitgeist Final Edition
The Obama Deception
Network
Run From the Cure
Invisible Empire
Police State 5
Message 6 of 11 (2,502 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
30 posts

May 18, 2010
Same problem is occurring with my ps3 now too. I checked the motherboard, and I found a slight burn on the top side of the board next to the 3 thermal pads.

Only thing I can figure is up. My blue light doesn't even come on though.
Message 7 of 11 (2,502 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4326 posts

Jul 2, 2010

Update: I never bought another ribbon. I tried again today, but all I get is the blue light flashing either three or four times, turning off, and turning back on. It's still not letting me play games and it tries to eject, but stops after half a second.

And I lost the clip (facepalm) to the thing. Otherwise I wouldn't be in this.

The easiest thing is to buy a new PlayStation, but I'm not sure if I can financially justify buying a new one. 

Photobucket
Message 8 of 11 (2,502 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4326 posts

Aug 30, 2010

Update: So I decided to call Sony and the offered to let me trade my system for a 120gb slim system for $120. Not too bad. So I think I'll go with that; just not sure if they'll take my system. Everything is the same on the system. It's just that the clip is broken. They'd have to put another mobo anyways it's bound to YLoD. Anyone think they would reject my system?

Photobucket
Message 9 of 11 (2,502 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 27, 2012

51S4yeCIXTL._SL500_[1].jpg51S4yeCIXTL._SL500_[1].jpg 

what is the name of this thats circled in red. need to buy the clip for this any one know where to get it,its for ps3 system.does anyone know what this would be called?

Message 10 of 11 (2,432 Views)
0 Likes