Mar 20 2011
By: Wakefulness I Only Post Everything 1306 posts

@PharmBoY044 gets confirmation from Jeff that NGP has "click" analogs:

18 replies 28 views Edited Mar 20, 2011

From the PS blog,

@PharmBoY044  asks,

Hey Jeff,
Congrats on the redesign of the blog. I’m liking what I’m seeing.
While browsing the Playstation Flickr page I noticed that you guys had the NGP at the recent SXSW event and were demoing it to a few celebrities. I had one quick question regarding the hardware.

Do you happen to know if the analog sticks click in like the Dualshock 3?

I’ve read all hands on impressions and no one has actually mentioned this. Any info regarding this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Jeff Rubenstein responds,

They do click in, yes.

This may either be a confermation that the click will tranlate over to some mapped controled function or, that the analog simply 'clicks in'. There maybe moreon this in the future.

Message 1 of 19 (28 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6512 posts

Re: @PharmBoY044 gets confirmation from Jeff that NGP has "click" analogs:

Mar 23, 2011

Nice.

Message 2 of 19 (28 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1680 posts

Mar 26, 2011

Yes L3 and R3 !!!!!!!!

Lets just as well hope that the back touch pannel can act as L2 and R2 as well

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Message 3 of 19 (28 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
369 posts

Mar 26, 2011

Nice

Message 4 of 19 (28 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5189 posts

Mar 27, 2011

Yes it could mean they click in to fit flush with the front so that you can slide it in a pocket more easily.

Message 5 of 19 (28 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1680 posts

Mar 27, 2011

this is a good point huggy....I beleive that would be a good feature being as in the pics those sticks look like they would get broke quick...put I'ma keep my fingers crossed it is for L3 & R3 and the move outta the way feature

sony-psp2-ngp-11-640x466.jpg

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Message 6 of 19 (28 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Mar 27, 2011

CaptainHuggyface wrote:

Yes it could mean they click in to fit flush with the front so that you can slide it in a pocket more easily.

Jeff definitely must confirm that. To be true to the question, he did likely mean "click in" just like the DS3 controller. Personally, I have not seen any sort of feature which would allow the analog sticks to go in and out of the device. Seeing as how a small tactile clicks of the analog would be more subtle, the odds are that is what is within this bad boy. Even so, a small click still does not confirm or deny that the action would be mapped for controls.

relative to the discussion, here is something I found interesting. It's from Hustle Kings on the NGP,

http://pspmedia.ign.com/psp/image/article/114/1149301/hustle-kings-ngp-20110211050814509_640w.jpg

Notice the L2/R2 on the bottom right half of the picture? Very interesting since NGP dev kits are designed to be self contained. Why would L2/R2 feature along with other tactile buttons on an NGP game? This could be another hint that the NGP will feature dual analog click.

Message 7 of 19 (28 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1680 posts

Mar 27, 2011

Wakefulness wrote:

Notice the L2/R2 on the bottom right half of the picture? Very interesting since NGP dev kits are designed to be self contained. Why would L2/R2 feature along with other tactile buttons on an NGP game? This could be another hint that the NGP will feature dual analog click.

Shoot Wake I'm hoping the analogs click in for R3 and L3 and the back touch panel will have the ability to be used as touch motion and R2 and L2 at the same time.....much like a laptop touch mouse has it's touch pad made where the right side acts as a scroll and and the bottom of the touch pad acts as mouse click left and right

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Message 8 of 19 (28 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Mar 29, 2011

StuByph wrote:

Wakefulness wrote:

Shoot Wake I'm hoping the analogs click in for R3 and L3 and the back touch panel will have the ability to be used as touch motion and R2 and L2 at the same time.....much like a laptop touch mouse has it's touch pad made where the right side acts as a scroll and and the bottom of the touch pad acts as mouse click left and right

I thought up an idea like that a few days ago. It was kind of tough because I wanted to make sure people got to use the touch display and back touch pad as much as possible so, I kind of thought up a way to inorperate a little bit of both. What I took into consideration was RTS games and perspective they where in. Of course, that was along with translating mouse commands over to the NGP's touch/back-touch controls. The end product would make a really awesome kind of game. I think of it a bit like holding a living board game in your hands. All the pieces in the game move when you touch and move them and you're looking down at it and the images are flat or 3/4 tilted in 3D space.

I will be honest, if I where building an NGP game; I would be over the moon with all the stuff it offers. I would almost not know where to start but, given the basic outline of a game, would know where to narrow it down. The good thing is, developers don't even really have to narrow their imaginations because the NGP can make so many ideas turn from hypothetical and in the mind into actual tangible aspects within a game.

Message 9 of 19 (28 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
26 posts

Apr 8, 2011

This is nice.  There'll be more options for buttons.

Message 10 of 19 (28 Views)
0 Likes