Nov 11 2012
By: DrifterDave First Son 16 posts

Personalization Recommendation for Store

[ Edited ]
3 replies 85 views Edited Nov 11, 2012

This is an idea I've had for awhile, but maybe with the new store it would actually be possible.  I'd like to know what others think.

What if the store could check your game data - see what games are installed on your system - and provide a personalized list specifically tailored to those games?  Perhaps even allow you to reorganize or remove games from that list, if you've completed and 'retired' them.  It would make it extremely easy to find the add-ons for games you own, and if taken another step, would be ideal for marketing as well.  If the store can identify what genres or series you typically play, it may be able to make recommendations of similar games available, or upcoming releases.  The marketing would need to be kept unobtrusive, but I know I'd certainly be tempted to take a peek if there were a category for such things.

Message 1 of 4 (85 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
18927 posts

Re: Personalization Recommendation for Store

[ Edited ]
Nov 11, 2012

They've all the data they need.

• They keep a history of everything you download, as well as, everything you have purchased.
  • How many times you sign into the PSN.
  • Your trophy data, which btw, says more than what many user imagine.
  • All of this associated to your PSN account down to hardware [PS3]

Targeted marketing has always fallen in the gray line. Many like the strategy, while others,  due to privacy concerns, completely reject it. In this case, since it is a closed ecosystem & the fact that it will be handled by one company [SONY]  then I would be fine with it. All I ask out of SONY what I've always ask of them: Don't screw us, stand up for your consumers/fans & above all, protect our data with your life. On the funny side, SONY is not going to put a cookie in me and track me from console to console Smiley LOL

PSN has passively use this data for marketing. For example, I have received official PSN PMs letting me know that based on my interest for a game demo [downloaded] that the full game is/will be available for purchase on the PSN. I've also receive other official PSN PMs with sales offers and whatnot.

Official PSN PM

On the previous stores, SONY had implemented "Recommendations" and this worked pretty well for me. This recommendations were primarily based on the item you were currently viewing but the recommendation worked fine and helped in introducing the user to different games.

Now, in the way you approach this "What if the store could check your game data - see what games are installed on your system" For this direct access I see no purpose nor reason. I would hate it and it would be my last day with SONY if I were to get messages like "Xuchilbara, we notice you uninstalled Hanna Montana. Don't you want that platinum?" Smiley Very Happy Smiley Indifferent On the real, they are getting all the data they need and more all without having to "infiltrate" our system more than they redundantly can.

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Message 2 of 4 (74 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Nov 11, 2012
sounds cool i 2nd that !
Message 3 of 4 (67 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
16 posts

Nov 13, 2012

A very valid point, Xuchilbara.  So perhaps not an 'infiltration' of the system, as you put it.  But even just using your uploaded trophy data that they already have, and even if they do not use it for marketing, I would simply love to see in the store an option to see add-ons, etc., specifically for my games - or other/upcoming games in the series.  Perhaps, at the very least, if they let players build their own personal list that was available from a tab in the store upon subsequent visits - so they can choose which games they want or do not want in there, and always have it easily accessible.

If you've ever been a member of Gamestop's 'pro' club, they have a database of games from every system, and you can select "own it" "want it" "had it" etc., if options like these were available for players in the store, it would be quite convenient.  Perhaps the created list could be stored locally, so no server space would be required on Sony's side, and only that list is checked when accessing the store rather than a whole check of your system.  It's just a thought - regardless of how exactly implemented, a streamlined option like this would be a nice addition in my opinion.

Message 4 of 4 (54 Views)
0 Likes