First Son
6 posts

Re: Paying for remote play

Mar 27, 2012

I would...  The prospect of being able to play my ps3 from bed, or in the basement while the kids watch barney on the bigscreen is a fantastic idea to me.  having one large decent TV in the house, this would be an instant purchase for me.

as for the original poster's comments, why on earth would it take any further input or investment from software developers?  Remote play essentially causes the vita to become a controller, all buttons mapped to sixaxis buttons, and the ps3 streams it's video and audio through the local wireless network.  this is all on the hardware end, and would have nothing to do with software developers.

from what i've seen, the network speed tends to hold the video back, and lag would be an issue when playing visually intensive games.  I would still love this feature, and buy a vita today if this option was available AS IS.  flaws and all.

Message 11 of 24 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
281 posts

Mar 27, 2012

Wow that was just a mess of text.

After reading it though (straining my eyes) I have to disagree with you. Why charge the consumer more money to play the same game they have already paid for? I mean that would jusat spark riots. I would love to see remote play working as well as they said it would but unfortunately we are just going to have to give it time.

Be patient young padawan

Message 12 of 24 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
193 posts

Mar 27, 2012

I COMPLETELY disagree with pretty much all of the original post. While not implicitly promised, it was directly implied (in most all of the advertising for the Vita) that the remote play of PS3 games would be a feature of the Vita.

By now everyone has seen it, either on youtube with the hacked PS3 or the Sony rep playing Killzone 3. Due to the "uncontrollables" involved with the internet which are outside of Sony's hands, Remote Play on your own private network (in your house) may be as good as it gets, but that would still be a huge benefit for many people.

Making someone pay for a feature that their devices are already capable of and/or for games they already own is simply ludacris.

As far as anyone losing money, that is not true at all. I fully believe this feature would increase the sale of PS3's, PS3 games, and PS Vitas. Folks who own a PS3 may see the added value of not being tied to their TV even in their own house for a plethora of reasons and may actually invest in the Vita. Folks with a Vita but no PS3 may see that as an opportunity to greatly increase the amount of gaming they can do on their Vita, and folks like myself, with the PS3 and the Vita AND other consoles, may see the ability to play their games with some level of freedom as the deciding factor of which console to purchase a particular game on.

Message 13 of 24 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
694 posts

Mar 27, 2012

what do you think the WiiU is going to do? if a person wants to watch tv and you are playing your game, wouldn't it be nice to be able to pause your game, pick up your handheld and continue playing from where you left off?? they can keep WiFi Remote Play in the works for right now but Private Remote Play with PS3 Game accessability should already be implemented.  I should already be able to stream my games on my home network to my Vita.

Message 14 of 24 (9 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11160 posts

Mar 27, 2012

It is unknown at this point what N has in mind for the touchscreen controller.  Most of the demos I've seen use the screen on controller in the same capacity a DS/3DS uses its touchscreen.

I haven't seen a single YouTube video that convinces me that it is not faked, and the vita used in the Sony tech demo was a vita that was built by Sony specifically for that demo.

I, too, would love to be able to play PS3 games on my Vita, but I just don't see it happening any time soon.

Let's get PSOne and full PSP functionality working first (you know, things that WERE actually promised).

Message 15 of 24 (9 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Mar 27, 2012

I think we are in presence of the greatest case of false advertising in the modern videogames times!

We all saw that Killzone promotional video!

I truly believed that it could be done with my Vita and my PS3 day one

Message 16 of 24 (9 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11160 posts

Mar 27, 2012

If you want to consider a 'tech demo' as advertisment, you might have something there...

Message 17 of 24 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
193 posts

Mar 27, 2012

I definitely view tech demos as a form of advertising. Look at the buzz that tech demo created (remote play specifically.) It was all over the web like wildfire. That's not unintentional. Like I said before if it was not said it was definitely implied.

Message 18 of 24 (9 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13655 posts

Mar 27, 2012

OptimusC wrote:

what do you think the WiiU is going to do? if a person wants to watch tv and you are playing your game, wouldn't it be nice to be able to pause your game, pick up your handheld and continue playing from where you left off?? they can keep WiFi Remote Play in the works for right now but Private Remote Play with PS3 Game accessability should already be implemented.  I should already be able to stream my games on my home network to my Vita.

Yes, but you wouldn't have to PAY for that feature. It's just there as part of the system.

I would never PAY for such a feature. That was the point of my post.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 19 of 24 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
291 posts

Mar 27, 2012

To the OP, and any who agree with that mindset, I just don't understand why you would want to encourage Sony to charge extra for something that is already free? They already gouge us in every way imagineable (yes, I know the PSN is free, etc., but hearing this kind of thing is exactly why they might one day reconsider and want to start charging for services or features that are already free), and Sony is greedy. If you tell them they aren't taking enough of your money, don't you think they will jump on the chance to take more of it? They make money hand over fist from gamers, and then treat us like they are our "dealer" and they know we will pay whatever it takes to get our fix.

I for one, do not want something that is already (or hopefully soon to be) a free service or feature costing me any more out of my pocket when I've already paid for the hardware and the software, just because someone else doesn't care if they pay more. Maybe you can afford to pay to get whatever you want, but others can't, and Sony should not be encouraged to gouge their customer base even further. The only thing that will come of that is that the few who can afford it will pay, and the majority who can't won't, and pretty soon you've no games, no services, no Playstation because Sony has priced themselves out of the gaming market, thinking they need to charge more and more and more for anything they can.

Message 20 of 24 (9 Views)
0 Likes