Mar 24 2012
By: Psyper Sackboy 482 posts

Paying for remote play

23 replies 83 views Edited Mar 24, 2012

I totally understand that having remote play for free between the PS3 and Vita would loose money for everyone but the consumer, the developers would have to pay to go back in and implement remote play compatability. And standing on that argument, I would agree, why do it? with the sales not being where they would like them to be, hardly seems worth it. So why not charge for the feature, or better yet, charge per game. They are already selling online passes for used games, which infuriated me for a while until I understood, you figure buying a fairly new used game from your local game retailer saves you 5, 10, 15 bucks tops from a new game, the online pass, costs $10 give or take, why not just by new? but I get it, we need to continue to make money to develop more, and if I can pay 5-15 dollars for a stupid app on my phone, 10 wont kill me to play online. so this brings me to the point of this discussion, why not charge for the remote play feature, make it optional, make it affordable, make it convenient. Sell a bundle, PS3 game + Remote play pass for an additional $20, PS3 game only $60. yes I know that this would mean $80 plus tax per game, it sounds horrendous, but, you don't have to do it. New games could have the option, like with the PSVita wi/fi and 3G+wi/fi, except one will cost $20 more than the other, or sell the remote play pass via the PSN. PS2 games could cost $10-15 and PSone games $5-10 Most limited edition games that come out cost more than that and what do you get, a T-shirt that you only wear while playing the game, oh or better yet, a treasure chest that is more appropriate for your child's play room. I would love to play my PS3 games on the go, in my house, in the bathroom, on a car ride, on my lunch break, I cant exactly lug my PS3, 42in. TV and all my cables with me where ever I go to play uncharted 3 or battlefield 3 or twisted metal, but I can carry my Vita and I want the developers, the big wigs, and anyone else who is looking for the best way to make a buck, I would be completely satisfied with paying $20 per game to be able to play my ps3 games on my Vita, I have roughly 15 games at the moment, that I would play on the go, that's an additional $300 dollars, FROM ONE CONSUMER! I know I am not the only one, and I know that more people would be inclined to buy the Vita if they new they had the option to play their PS3 titles on their handheld. That is my take on remote play, you have my approval, charge for remote play!

Message 1 of 24 (83 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3658 posts

Re: Paying for remote play

Mar 24, 2012

im not even gonna attempt to read that wall of text

this is my signature
Message 2 of 24 (83 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1670 posts

Mar 24, 2012

Can you please edit, it seems interesting but I keep reading the same line because it is so close together.

Message 3 of 24 (83 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
115 posts

Mar 25, 2012

Okay, I do see where you're coming from on this and I understand your view. Unfortunately, I disagree to a great degree, it isnt right to pay AGAIN for the same game, remote play has been promised to be free since the PS3 was first released, it was specifically designed to play/view/interact with the PS3 through the PSP and the PS Vita. And this time around, Sony has promised that PS3 games will begin to become cross-compatible "soon". I feel as though you're just being impatient, and if you really agree with what you're saying, then you are throwing your money away. But I do agree with you on the rediculous online passes that they have on the store now, might as well just buy the game new. Back to my point, you're being impatient, im sure they'll come out... technically remote play and cross-compatibility are already active, im sure most of you have aready seen that youtube video of that Hispanic person playing both Battlefield 3 and Modern Warfare 3 on hos Vita, definitely not a fake either. all in all, DO be patient young one, and do not throw your monies away.

Message 4 of 24 (83 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5047 posts

Mar 25, 2012

No thank you. They all make enough money off of me as it is. They wouldn't be getting anymore from me doing that.

Message 5 of 24 (83 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
10998 posts

Mar 25, 2012

"Cross-compatibility" is not "coming soon."  Cross play is a feature that exists and allows multiplayer between PS3 and Vita players with certain games.  Beyond that, Sony never 'promised' anything like remote play of PS3 games.  Certainly not *all* PS3 games.

Sony showed a tech demo of what might be possible with the Vita, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's feasible.  The youtube videos showing other ps3 games being played are either hacked ps3s or are faked.

If it happens, it happens.  As it is right now, there are other, more important issues for Sony to resolve with the Vita, such as being able to play PSP and PSOne games, fixing the store so everyone can make purchases and add funds to their wallets and other various performance and security issues.

As for the topic.  There is no reason that Sony should ever charge for using a feature that is built into the PS3 and has always been free.

Message 6 of 24 (83 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
9600 posts

Mar 25, 2012

I totally understand that having remote play for free between the PS3 and Vita would loose money for everyone but the consumer, the developers would have to pay to go back in and implement remote play compatability. And standing on that argument, I would agree, why do it? with the sales not being where they would like them to be, hardly seems worth it. So why not charge for the feature, or better yet, charge per game.

They are already selling online passes for used games, which infuriated me for a while until I understood, you figure buying a fairly new used game from your local game retailer saves you 5, 10, 15 bucks tops from a new game, the online pass, costs $10 give or take, why not just by new? but I get it, we need to continue to make money to develop more, and if I can pay 5-15 dollars for a stupid app on my phone, 10 wont kill me to play online.

so this brings me to the point of this discussion, why not charge for the remote play feature, make it optional, make it affordable, make it convenient. Sell a bundle, PS3 game + Remote play pass for an additional $20, PS3 game only $60. yes I know that this would mean $80 plus tax per game, it sounds horrendous, but, you don't have to do it. New games could have the option, like with the PSVita wi/fi and 3G+wi/fi, except one will cost $20 more than the other, or sell the remote play pass via the PSN.

PS2 games could cost $10-15 and PSone games $5-10 Most limited edition games that come out cost more than that and what do you get, a T-shirt that you only wear while playing the game, oh or better yet, a treasure chest that is more appropriate for your child's play room. I would love to play my PS3 games on the go, in my house, in the bathroom, on a car ride, on my lunch break, I cant exactly lug my PS3, 42in.

TV and all my cables with me where ever I go to play uncharted 3 or battlefield 3 or twisted metal, but I can carry my Vita and I want the developers, the big wigs, and anyone else who is looking for the best way to make a buck.

I would be completely satisfied with paying $20 per game to be able to play my ps3 games on my Vita, I have roughly 15 games at the moment, that I would play on the go, that's an additional $300 dollars, FROM ONE CONSUMER! I know I am not the only one, and I know that more people would be inclined to buy the Vita if they new they had the option to play their PS3 titles on their handheld. That is my take on remote play, you have my approval, charge for remote play!

Message 7 of 24 (83 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13615 posts

Mar 25, 2012

Emerald_Swords wrote:

I totally understand that having remote play for free between the PS3 and Vita would loose money for everyone but the consumer, the developers would have to pay to go back in and implement remote play compatability. And standing on that argument, I would agree, why do it? with the sales not being where they would like them to be, hardly seems worth it. So why not charge for the feature, or better yet, charge per game.

They are already selling online passes for used games, which infuriated me for a while until I understood, you figure buying a fairly new used game from your local game retailer saves you 5, 10, 15 bucks tops from a new game, the online pass, costs $10 give or take, why not just by new? but I get it, we need to continue to make money to develop more, and if I can pay 5-15 dollars for a stupid app on my phone, 10 wont kill me to play online.

so this brings me to the point of this discussion, why not charge for the remote play feature, make it optional, make it affordable, make it convenient. Sell a bundle, PS3 game + Remote play pass for an additional $20, PS3 game only $60. yes I know that this would mean $80 plus tax per game, it sounds horrendous, but, you don't have to do it. New games could have the option, like with the PSVita wi/fi and 3G+wi/fi, except one will cost $20 more than the other, or sell the remote play pass via the PSN.

PS2 games could cost $10-15 and PSone games $5-10 Most limited edition games that come out cost more than that and what do you get, a T-shirt that you only wear while playing the game, oh or better yet, a treasure chest that is more appropriate for your child's play room. I would love to play my PS3 games on the go, in my house, in the bathroom, on a car ride, on my lunch break, I cant exactly lug my PS3, 42in.

TV and all my cables with me where ever I go to play uncharted 3 or battlefield 3 or twisted metal, but I can carry my Vita and I want the developers, the big wigs, and anyone else who is looking for the best way to make a buck.

I would be completely satisfied with paying $20 per game to be able to play my ps3 games on my Vita, I have roughly 15 games at the moment, that I would play on the go, that's an additional $300 dollars, FROM ONE CONSUMER! I know I am not the only one, and I know that more people would be inclined to buy the Vita if they new they had the option to play their PS3 titles on their handheld. That is my take on remote play, you have my approval, charge for remote play!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Free userbars
p

Assuming, of course, they could actually get a GOOD remote play working.

You know, one that works over WIFI. Not just a local connection. Without input lag.

The demo they showed of KZ3, that wasn't through Wifi, was it?

Message 8 of 24 (83 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
9600 posts

Mar 25, 2012

Connecting through a private connection is alot more stable when using remote play.

Message 9 of 24 (83 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13615 posts

Mar 25, 2012

Yeah, but what's the point of that? Wifi would be the only really useful part, who would pay $20 to play the same game while in the same building as their PS3 just to play it on the Vita instead?

Message 10 of 24 (83 Views)
0 Likes