Highlighted
Aug 17 2011
By: Hikerakashiya First Son 10 posts

PSVita vs iPhone vs 3DS

12 replies 76 views Edited Aug 17, 2011

So I got into a discussion with a friend about the current market trends with mobile gaming and things got a little heated. It is starting to annoy me reading all these articles from people who have no idea about handheld gaming and making predications how the PSVita is going to be a "car wreck" and how iPhone is going to destroy everything. They are comparing apples to oranges. The 3DS didn't have a leg to stand on, not because of the price point, but because of the poor software selection when it was released. Yes, mobile phones have been great for mobile gaming but .99 games are not going to replace dedicated gaming handheld games. The experiences are totally different. The Angry Birds creator stated that Handheld Gaming was dead and the people from Heavy Iron Studio, who have made subpar games, don't know what they are talking about. So I don't get it ... What does this community have to say about things?

Note: I'm not always the best at articulating my thoughts nor getting into a debat. I just wanted to vent my current thoughts and wanted to hear what the community thinks!

Message 1 of 13 (76 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
456 posts

Re: PSVita vs iPhone vs 3DS

Aug 17, 2011

Well the IPhone/Ipod should be taken out of all of this. Its not a gaming system, it doesnt play AAA titles. The 3DS lacks almost every feature outside of gaming. Sure it has games, in 3d but thats the only good thing it has to offer, while the psvita has near, party, skype, facebook, twitter, foursquare, Tag(ill make a thread explaining tag soon.), skyhook/gps, movies, music and photos. The 3DS just has plain games music movies netflix and a browser. Spotpass and streetpass are like a crap version of near.

Message 2 of 13 (76 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
7644 posts

Aug 17, 2011

Weird, the "reply to original post" button didn't show up for me in this thread...Anyway, I don't think the handheld market is dying.  Sure, some will just play smart phone games, but I don't think those are the same people who would buy a handheld in the first place.  Personally, I would never replace my handheld until battery life on the phone is enough to last over a day without charging, and then, only if the games are at the same level.  I don't mind carrying more than one device since it lets me actually use them when and how I want.

Message 3 of 13 (76 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13861 posts

Aug 17, 2011

The problem I see with the Vita is that it's much like an iTouch: The closest thing you can get to a smartphone, without being a smartphone.

Many people have smartphones that have a data plan of some sort, so those people will  most likely be buying the Wifi version. As such, features like Skype, facebook, twitter, etc on the Vita are useless in the fact that the person could just use their phone (which will most likely be on them at all times, vs the Vita which can't really fit in a pocket).

So, yes, the Vita has all these great features. But I bet a lot will just be un-used due to some other device being able to do the same thing.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 4 of 13 (76 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1846 posts

Aug 18, 2011

Then there are people like me who hate everything Apple and Microsoft do, and has a father who's paying his cellphone bill and absolutely refuses to let me get any data plan at all, much less much of a smartphone. I am getting the 3G model and will actually use these features, as well as the browser. Will I ever get an iPhone? Absolutely hell no. Like I said, I don't particularly care for Apple products. I prefer Sony products most of all. The great thing is, I'm getting my own money to pay for the data plan myself.

I also despise cellphone games. Every single one of them. 99 cents for a stupid little dinky game I can finish in a minute versus 40 bucks for a deeper and more involved game. . . Hm I'll take the Vita thank you. Throw that game playing cellphone out the window.

Not everyone shares your opinion. I carry around more than one device anyway as it is, all the time. I use my PSP as my music player and my phone does what it's supposed to do, makes calls and texts. And that is all I use it for. I would love to have dedicated apps for twitter and facebook. Thing is I can never have those on my phone. Oh well. I'd much rather use the Vita for them anyway.

Smartphones do not deserve to be compared here.

Get your Portable ID!
Motorstorm 80GB Bundle w/ 320GB HDD
Message 5 of 13 (76 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
73 posts

Aug 18, 2011

Shadelon wrote:

Then there are people like me who hate everything Apple and Microsoft do, and has a father who's paying his cellphone bill and absolutely refuses to let me get any data plan at all, much less much of a smartphone. I am getting the 3G model and will actually use these features, as well as the browser. Will I ever get an iPhone? Absolutely hell no. Like I said, I don't particularly care for Apple products. I prefer Sony products most of all. The great thing is, I'm getting my own money to pay for the data plan myself.

I also despise cellphone games. Every single one of them. 99 cents for a stupid little dinky game I can finish in a minute versus 40 bucks for a deeper and more involved game. . . Hm I'll take the Vita thank you. Throw that game playing cellphone out the window.

Not everyone shares your opinion. I carry around more than one device anyway as it is, all the time. I use my PSP as my music player and my phone does what it's supposed to do, makes calls and texts. And that is all I use it for. I would love to have dedicated apps for twitter and facebook. Thing is I can never have those on my phone. Oh well. I'd much rather use the Vita for them anyway.

Get your Portable ID!

Not to mention...if you buy LBP Vita, you will have every single hand held game right at your fingertips.

Message 6 of 13 (76 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1846 posts

Aug 18, 2011

Well I don't particularly care for LBP, even though I own the digital version on my PS3. But yeah there's that. There's also the fact that I've been meaning to get a tablet (anything that is NOT an iPad) and the Vita feels a lot like one to me. Much smaller screen than other tablets, but I don't care. This is one I'd use. Now all I need is a couple of reader apps for Kindle and Nook, and I'll be all set. Those might not come for a while, I know, but here's to hoping they come.

Get your Portable ID!
Message 7 of 13 (76 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13861 posts

Aug 18, 2011

Shadelon wrote:

Get your Portable ID!

I'm not in support of smartphone games, I'm just pointing out something I was thinking about earlier. The only time I play any games on smartphones is if the battery of my 3DS or PSP is dead or I wasn't allowed to bring it (like, at work or something).

Although I don't see how you're gonna pay the data plan if you can't even afford a smartphone bill. $25mo really adds up over time (I'm going to safely assume that's the price for the bigger data plan, and that it's the only one that's even feasible for use).

Sure, you don't have a smartphone, but everywhere I go there are people waving around their little iPhones (I hate apple) or their Droids. I'm just saying that anyone who has the ability to pay for the Vita won't get the 3G and probably won't need the apps. They're just there to say "we can do this".

Still getting a Vita, I just won't be using any of those features. It's a game system first and foremost, and that's what I'm buying it for.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 8 of 13 (76 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1846 posts

Aug 18, 2011

glaciusx25 wrote:

Shadelon wrote:

Get your Portable ID!

I'm not in support of smartphone games, I'm just pointing out something I was thinking about earlier. The only time I play any games on smartphones is if the battery of my 3DS or PSP is dead or I wasn't allowed to bring it (like, at work or something).

Although I don't see how you're gonna pay the data plan if you can't even afford a smartphone bill. $25mo really adds up over time (I'm going to safely assume that's the price for the bigger data plan, and that it's the only one that's even feasible for use).

Sure, you don't have a smartphone, but everywhere I go there are people waving around their little iPhones (I hate apple) or their Droids. I'm just saying that anyone who has the ability to pay for the Vita won't get the 3G and probably won't need the apps. They're just there to say "we can do this".

Still getting a Vita, I just won't be using any of those features. It's a game system first and foremost, and that's what I'm buying it for.

I have what could be called a wimpy smart phone compared to all those droids and iphones. It's a Samsung touchscreen, forgot the model name. And it has some apps. But it's not iOS, or Windows Mobile or Droid. It's Samsung's own proprietary OS.

Anyway. I didn't have a job before. Now I do. I'll be able to afford the data plan on my own. And in choosing between a data plan for my wimpy smartphone or the Vita, I simply chose Vita. My girlfriend is getting me the Vita for christmas/anniversary (she doesn't care when it comes out) and she told me she'll shell out the extra $50 for the 3G model if I want it. It's either that or a game. I have a job so I can get games myself (just preordered NHL 12). So I went with the 3G model. I just think, for me, it'd be nice to be able to use the dedicated facebook and twitter apps, not have to keep using the texting. And it'd be really nice to be able to have a good web browser on the go. And that browser for the Vita, from what we've seen, however little that is, looks pretty nice and does indeed seem to have Flash.

So that's a look into my thought process. I do have a method to my madness, I assure you. I am a writer, so I always have a method to my madness. It comes with the job.

Get your Portable ID!
Message 9 of 13 (76 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6444 posts

Aug 18, 2011

Playstation Vita all the way. No contest.

Check out my PlayStation dedicated blog, PlayStation Persuasion! playstationpersuasion.tumblr.com

PSN: ScreamAimFire999
Message 10 of 13 (76 Views)
0 Likes