PSVita Facial Recognition Demo

12 replies 39 views Edited Jul 1, 2011
Message 1 of 13 (39 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1268 posts

Re: PSVita Facial Recognition Demo

Jul 1, 2011

Nice!  I just hope they could do something about the blinking problem.  That's a little scary, but otherwise cool, lol.

Message 2 of 13 (39 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
169 posts

Jul 1, 2011

Yeah especially the doll, kind of creepy like something from a Chucky movie! lol

Message 3 of 13 (39 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
456 posts

Jul 2, 2011

This is AMAZING!! imagine talking to your friend and appearing as some weird cartoon character. Fun extra things like this makes the psvita, more worth buying. Cant wait until they release more info on the vita's amazing software!

Message 4 of 13 (39 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Jul 2, 2011

Most of the sources that have translated the original Japanese article have shared that the "cartoon video chat" app is simply a test demo of the PS Vita camera, sensors, etc and facial recognition software.

Sony showed off the head/face detection engine technology in March at GDC,

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2011/03/gdc11-ngp-preso-47.jpg

Within Sony's head/face detecting engine (pictures above) there are bars and text in the UI that show certain features which detail facial features. There is actually 'left and right eye closed/open' recognition but, due to the fact the software is limited to only a certain level of face recognizing intellect (and probably lighting, moving camera, etc) the software implementation will be slightly limited. Due to the fact the PS Vita camera is high enough quality resolution, can run up to the fps needed for smooth gameplay and, has descent sensors, this allows the software to be perfect for developers to use on the occasion that they need to.

There are actually also two boxes which indicate the volume of the face over all as well as how of axis the head is relative to the shoulder and neck.

If any game studio will be close with Sony on this kind of augmented reality software technology Novarama will need to use the technology. Due to the fact Novarama are primarly into AR and are now exclusive publishing partners with Sony, they will both have a say in certain aspects of the technology as well as using the tech in their future game titles.

Message 5 of 13 (39 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1268 posts

Jul 2, 2011

If I could be one of my favorite anime characters like Spike Spiegel, or Ein even (both from Cowboy Bebop, but you probably know that already), that would just be too awesome!

Message 6 of 13 (39 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Jul 2, 2011

ATRamos1652 wrote:

If I could be one of my favorite anime characters like Spike Spiegel, or Ein even (both from Cowboy Bebop, but you probably know that already), that would just be too awesome!

Oh, like a 3D avatar for VOIP chat?

Message 7 of 13 (39 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1268 posts

Jul 2, 2011

Wakefulness wrote:

ATRamos1652 wrote:

Maybe a cel-shaded 3D avatar if it had to come down to that, although I'd prefer the traditional hand-drawn 2D version.  This would probably be a little bit further down the line.

I'd even like to try and be Faye Valentine just for the hell of it, lol.

Message 8 of 13 (39 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Jul 2, 2011

ATRamos1652 wrote:

Wakefulness wrote:

ATRamos1652 wrote:

Maybe a cel-shaded 3D avatar if it had to come down to that, although I'd prefer the traditional hand-drawn 2D version.  This would probably be a little bit further down the line.

2D would seem the classic route but, there are good 3D model artists which can use the medium to capture the essence that 2D artist implied with the bonuses of working with 3D models. The cartoon video chat software to shown was merely a demo that Sony created in order to demonstrate the capability of the facial recognition software running on the Ps Vita.

Yeah, that is a funky cold medina and whatnot.

Message 9 of 13 (39 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1268 posts

Jul 2, 2011

Wakefulness wrote:

ATRamos1652 wrote:

Wakefulness wrote:

ATRamos1652 wrote:

2D would seem the classic route but, there are good 3D model artists which can use the medium to capture the essence that 2D artist implied with the bonuses of working with 3D models. The cartoon video chat software to shown was merely a demo that Sony created in order to demonstrate the capability of the facial recognition software running on the Ps Vita.

Yeah, that is a funky cold medina and whatnot.

It's very impressive for a demo, and I can't wait to see what they do with it.

Message 10 of 13 (39 Views)
0 Likes