Highlighted
Sep 08 2011
By: MJB2348765 Fender Bender 3995 posts

PSP internet Vs PS3 internet

9 replies 8 views Edited Sep 8, 2011

why does the psp cannot go on  websites, or play videos while on the internet, but the ps3 can ?

Message 1 of 10 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
414 posts

Re: PSP internet Vs PS3 internet

Sep 8, 2011

MJB2348765 wrote:

why does the psp cannot go on  websites, or play videos while on the internet, but the ps3 can ?

Well I can't do anything but wonder the same thing.  I ask myself the same question every time I use the internet on my PSP, and I really wish there were an update that would enable it to use the lastest version of flash on both the PS3 and PSP.  And the PSP can go on websites; it's just very limited to what it can show and do.

Knowledge is power,
Ignorance is bliss,
Abstenence is control.
Don't go around trying to know and do everything.
Message 2 of 10 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Sep 8, 2011

The PSP web browser was an afterthought. Originally it was meant to be used from within a game, but Sony made it available for use outside a game with all of the restrictions intact. Browsing in 4 MB of RAM requires patience or a greatly simplified webpage.

Message 3 of 10 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
414 posts

Sep 8, 2011

potatobreath wrote:

The PSP web browser was an afterthought. Originally it was meant to be used from within a game, but Sony made it available for use outside a game with all of the restrictions intact. Browsing in 4 MB of RAM requires patience or a greatly simplified webpage.

Yeah; I usually wait, and sometimes it tells me the image quality must be lowered, or that there isn't enough memory to display the page, and to change the "conserve memory" to "on", and even when I do it doesn't work.  So I just mainly use my PSP for music and watching Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood since I have an 8GB Memory Stick.

Knowledge is power,
Ignorance is bliss,
Abstenence is control.
Message 4 of 10 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Sep 8, 2011

It's doable if you turn off JavaScript, because the web browser really starts to struggle running modern JavaScript. I used my PSP to surf the web until I got a smarter phone with wifi.

Message 5 of 10 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
414 posts

Sep 8, 2011

potatobreath wrote:

It's doable if you turn off JavaScript, because the web browser really starts to struggle running modern JavaScript. I used my PSP to surf the web until I got a smarter phone with wifi.    

Really?  I thought I was supposed to keep Javascript on.  And what about watching videos?  I'm pretty sure there's no way to do that.

Knowledge is power,
Ignorance is bliss,
Abstenence is control.
Message 6 of 10 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Sep 8, 2011

JavaScript is simply scripting to add menus and other forms of user interaction to a webpage. If you turn it off, then those features stop working. I used my PSP mostly to browse Wikipedia and complete online assignments, so losing JavaScript wasn't a big deal. Some websites have simple JavaScript and won't affect PSP speed noticeably with the option on. Other websites have elaborate JavaScript (sometimes used to display huge annoying ads) and brings the PSP to its knees.

No, I don't watch web videos on my PSP. If it's interesting enough, then I'll haul myself out of bed or off the couch and use YouTube on my PC.

Message 7 of 10 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
414 posts

Sep 8, 2011

potatobreath wrote:

JavaScript is simply scripting to add menus and other forms of user interaction to a webpage. If you turn it off, then those features stop working. I used my PSP mostly to browse Wikipedia and complete online assignments, so losing JavaScript wasn't a big deal. Some websites have simple JavaScript and won't affect PSP speed noticeably with the option on. Other websites have elaborate JavaScript (sometimes used to display huge annoying ads) and brings the PSP to its knees.

No, I don't watch web videos on my PSP. If it's interesting enough, then I'll haul myself out of bed or off the couch and use YouTube on my PC.

I don't think you can anyway.  I've seen online in many places that people cannot watch youtube or any other types of videos on their PSP via internet.  They should change that.  I figured it would be better on PSP because it's mobile, but it doesn't work at all.

Knowledge is power,
Ignorance is bliss,
Abstenence is control.
Message 8 of 10 (8 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
7424 posts

Sep 9, 2011

Yeah, there just isn't enough RAM given to it and it's very outdated to do a lot of things I'd like to.  I only use it to sign into a wifi network which needs your account/password, in order to use other online features.  I have watched online videos on my PSP, but only via remote play.

Message 9 of 10 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
414 posts

Sep 10, 2011

JERM7 wrote:

Yeah, there just isn't enough RAM given to it and it's very outdated to do a lot of things I'd like to.  I only use it to sign into a wifi network which needs your account/password, in order to use other online features.  I have watched online videos on my PSP, but only via remote play.

Well then, if you had to use remote play, might as well just use the PSP.  Unless you can use remote play and watch videos while playing video games on the PS3, which I don't think you can, right?    

Knowledge is power,
Ignorance is bliss,
Abstenence is control.
Message 10 of 10 (8 Views)
0 Likes