Highlighted
Mar 02 2011
By: DigitDood Uncharted Territory 1447 posts

PSP + Water = Dieng. Help pls?

8 replies 21 views Edited Mar 2, 2011

Title would say it all, I was enjoying a relaxing evening shower with some tunes playing on my PSP, and when I grabbed it, slipped out of my hand and into the water it went.

Wouldn't turn on for the rest of the night so I let it be. Morning came and when I turned it on, the screen would go surging bright and dim and off, so I have no idea what to do.

I've heard of the "take apart the system and put it in a bowl of rice" trick but I don't wish to dissassemble it.

Any advice from my PSP bros?

Message 1 of 9 (21 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
60 posts

Re: PSP + Water = Dieng. Help pls?

Mar 2, 2011

just buy a psp2 NGP its alot better than psp its coming this holday season

Message 2 of 9 (21 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Mar 2, 2011

You should wait much longer. Use a hair dryer. If in doubt, don't turn it on and wait some more.

If you dropped it in water, then you should be fine once everything dries out. Leave the battery and Memory Stick out. Leave the UMD door open. Let it sit.

Message 3 of 9 (21 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1447 posts

Mar 2, 2011

potatobreath wrote:

You should wait much longer. Use a hair dryer. If in doubt, don't turn it on and wait some more.

If you dropped it in water, then you should be fine once everything dries out. Leave the battery and Memory Stick out. Leave the UMD door open. Let it sit.

Oh alright, it hasnt been long since it's happened so I'll let it sit for a few days, thanks.

@jon I don't want to spend~ $300 a new portable, it's neat and all but I'm good with what I have.

Message 4 of 9 (21 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8191 posts

Mar 3, 2011

Sorry, but you *must* disassemble the thing and stick the parts into a bowl of rice.

Message 5 of 9 (21 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5189 posts

Mar 3, 2011

DigitDood wrote:

Title would say it all, I was enjoying a relaxing evening shower with some tunes playing on my PSP, and when I grabbed it, slipped out of my hand and into the water it went.

Wouldn't turn on for the rest of the night so I let it be. Morning came and when I turned it on, the screen would go surging bright and dim and off, so I have no idea what to do.

I've heard of the "take apart the system and put it in a bowl of rice" trick but I don't wish to dissassemble it.

Any advice from my PSP bros?

First thing is never touch your PSP when you are in a shower, bath, etc..

Also if it does get wet never turn it on, take out the battery and do not let any power get to it until you are sure it is dry.

Applying power could damage components and probably already has, water will make current go to parts of chips and other components that were not supposed to get it at the time or on certain pins.

Even if you do dry it out now you may have already done the damage.

Good luck.

Message 6 of 9 (21 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
33 posts

Mar 7, 2011

You should have not tried to turn it on... it is most likley fried.  I have saved 2 cel phones by taking out the batteries and letting them dry out for a few days til I saw no condensation.  Both worked. Only one needed a battery replacement.  Oh and don't take a shower with your PSP anymore.k?

Message 7 of 9 (21 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
40 posts

Mar 20, 2011

ill sell you my PSP for $90

Message 8 of 9 (21 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1680 posts

Mar 20, 2011

Man this is scary.....I have a PSP Go and have my NGP on Pre Order paying it off as the months go by.....but dude never reach for the PSP while in the shower.....NEVER.....it's like rule number 71 in Playstation do's and don't's....it's as essential as Double Tap in Zombie Land

But it is like Huggy said that initial turn on may have done it wait a week and see what hapens...then buy a Go and step up your game get a bomb diggy Sony Blu Tooth headset for it and get DLC games so when the NGP hits you'll be good

Here's my head set and Go

DSC02594.JPGSony BLutooth headset.png

Cause When Your NGP Brothers Your NGP 4 LIFE!!!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Message 9 of 9 (21 Views)
0 Likes