May 16 2013
By: PierceNPierce First Son 3 posts

PSP Turns off suddenly.... any ideas why?

7 replies 1553 views Edited May 16, 2013

Yo! Upon the realization that the PSP is pretty much a portable Playstation One (took me a few years, right?), I headed out and picked up a second hand 3000 from EB (Australia) and a couple of games (also second hand).

Was playing FF Tactics War Of the Lions yesterday when the machine just suddenly turned off. No warning, just an instantaneous power outage. Thinking I had maybe been holding the power button due to my right hand being in a funny position, I switched it right back on and continued where I had left off.

Later that night the exact same thing happened while I was trying to save my game (corrupting my 7.5 hour game file.... my soul was crushed), and this time I know for sure I was holding it correctly. No battery warning, nothing. May have been lying sideways in bed if that affects anything, can't remember.

Any ideas what could have caused this? The Final Fantasy UMD case has a few scratches on it but I think the disc itself looks to be fine... could a scratch cause this to happen? Either on the UMD or the lens of the PSP?

Am now playing Tactics Ogre and waiting to see if it happens again before exchanging/returning either the PSP or Final Fantasy, but it's frustrating waiting as who knows what could be the issue?

Any ideas? The PSP 3000 has a little Gran Turismo logo on it if there's any differences with that model.

Cheers,

Adrian

Message 1 of 8 (1,553 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
11942 posts

Re: PSP Turns off suddenly.... any ideas why?

May 16, 2013
Typically, if it's the game causing the shutdown, it will be preceeded by the game freezing. How secure is the battery? Nothing's chipped, and it fits in snuggly?
Message 2 of 8 (1,546 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4073 posts

May 16, 2013

I understand how it can turn off when you "hold it funny" ... I have had that happen time and again playing Loco Roco, so I stopped playing it. So NOT fun.

I would be holding it correctly and STILL it would turn off, just a tiny flick of your hand near it CAN cause that. I love my PS Vita, I can't turn it off accidentally while playing.

As mentioned previously a game freeze would be apparent, if it's the game. Battery door not on right (I've had to tape some on after awhile) and the battery itself: inspect it for cracks in the housing.

Do you play any other games? What happens?

Are you playing digital or UMD version?

And so on ... more detail is helpful.

Message 3 of 8 (1,534 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

[ Edited ]
May 16, 2013

Hey guys, thanks for the responses.

It's a physical UMD bought second hand... I can see scratches on the UMD case, not sure if there's any on the actual disk tho.

Hasn't happened with any other games yet... but having said that I only bought it a couple days ago second hand and the only other game I've played has only been for 2-3 hours so can't really make a judgement there.

No freezing before the sudden power outage, as far as I could detect. Having said that FF Tactics IS turn based so there might have been a minor one I just didn't notice? How many seconds would these freezes last for?

If there's no freeze is it possible to rule out it being the game, or are there other common "sympyoms?"

The system didn't come with a user manual.... will have to Google re: the battery cover, I don't even know where it's located on the machine!

Will do that now.

Cheers Smiley Happy

EDIT: 

Just checked - battery door is snug.

The only slight jiggle I noticed was with the UMD door, although it's EXTREMELY minor and I don't suspect it to be anything out of the ordinary as of course it's a moving part.

And also, wish I had more details myself. The lack of them is what has me so befuddled and frustrated. Have my fingers crossed I can reach a solution here.

...wish I had money for a Vita, aye!

Message 4 of 8 (1,527 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
98 posts

May 16, 2013

I have several PSPs and have never had that problem. Try playing while it is plugged into the outlet. My hunch is that you have a hardware issue. As mentioned before, if it were the game it would have frozen for a while and then shut off. If the UMD drive had problems, it would go to the "are you sure you want to quit?" screen.

Message 5 of 8 (1,522 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8179 posts

May 16, 2013
My old PSP 1000 had this issue. Turns out that the battery compartment does not hold the battery properly anymore.

Could you try having it on a charger?
Message 6 of 8 (1,518 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

May 17, 2013

^As it's second hand the charger's a little dodgy. Doesn't play nicely with movement so kinda have to leave it alone while charging.

But it switched off I believe when it was near full battery anyhow Smiley Frustrated

Message 7 of 8 (1,502 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
6939 posts

May 17, 2013

PierceNPierce wrote:

Yo! Upon the realization that the PSP is pretty much a portable Playstation One (took me a few years, right?), I headed out and picked up a second hand 3000 from EB (Australia) and a couple of games (also second hand).

Was playing FF Tactics War Of the Lions yesterday when the machine just suddenly turned off. No warning, just an instantaneous power outage. Thinking I had maybe been holding the power button due to my right hand being in a funny position, I switched it right back on and continued where I had left off.

Later that night the exact same thing happened while I was trying to save my game (corrupting my 7.5 hour game file.... my soul was crushed), and this time I know for sure I was holding it correctly. No battery warning, nothing. May have been lying sideways in bed if that affects anything, can't remember.

Any ideas what could have caused this? The Final Fantasy UMD case has a few scratches on it but I think the disc itself looks to be fine... could a scratch cause this to happen? Either on the UMD or the lens of the PSP?

Am now playing Tactics Ogre and waiting to see if it happens again before exchanging/returning either the PSP or Final Fantasy, but it's frustrating waiting as who knows what could be the issue?

Any ideas? The PSP 3000 has a little Gran Turismo logo on it if there's any differences with that model.

Cheers,

Adrian

replace the battery is my best guess..   when you   gt used  psp  always give the battery back to them and buy a new one at store or  order one(new). No more than  15$.   alo make the  power  button is lose or   locking up.

Mcbuttz78

vp-psn legioniaree group.

Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past, Wisdom is of the future

Message 8 of 8 (1,497 Views)
0 Likes