Highlighted
Dec 27 2010
By: Mgs1_Snake Lombax Warrior 148 posts

PSP System Activation; please help,

7 replies 82 views Edited Dec 27, 2009
I am trying to put one of my digital PSP games on an additional PSP system. There are 5 PSP systems that have ever been activated with my account. Although I have deactivated at least two of them, I am not able to activate an additional PSP system (a 6th one, mind you). I have a few questions about this.

Does the same rule apply to the PS3? Is there any way to activate a PSP that was not one of the original 5 (two of which, once again, are deactivated)? What is the point of deactivating a system if you cannot activate another system in it's place? 

Thanks, in advance. I would appreciate some insight.
Message 1 of 8 (82 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5189 posts

Re: PSP System Activation; please help,

Dec 27, 2009

Mgs1_Snake wrote:
I am trying to put one of my digital PSP games on an additional PSP system. There are 5 PSP systems that have ever been activated with my account. Although I have deactivated at least two of them, I am not able to activate an additional PSP system (a 6th one, mind you). I have a few questions about this.

Does the same rule apply to the PS3? Is there any way to activate a PSP that was not one of the original 5 (two of which, once again, are deactivated)? What is the point of deactivating a system if you cannot activate another system in it's place? 

Thanks, in advance. I would appreciate some insight.

You can upto 5 PSPs and 5PS3 active on one account, deactivating 1 should free up another spot. How long ago did you deactivate them, it takes a few minutes for it to take effect. Also how often have you been activating and deactivating, Sony may see this as you sharing your account with friends and blocked you from your account or just stopped anymore activations.
Message 2 of 8 (82 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
148 posts

Dec 27, 2009
  If it takes a few minutes, then I might not have a problem at all and I might be able to do what I planned to do next time I try. I have a couple more questions now though. One: if a friend activates a PSP with his/her own account, thus negating your activation of his/her PSP, does this count as you deactivating it or do you still have to manually deactivate his/her system in order to remove that system from your list of 5 activations? In my experience, you still have to deactivate it manually; but I don't know for sure. 

Two: wasn't game sharing marketed as a feature of the PS3/PSP? There are restrictions controlling which games you can share and which games you can lend (the more expensive games can be played on one system at a time per day), so it's obvious that they could stop you from sharing games if they wanted to. I'm sure that Sony know that people are sharing games with their PSN friends at their own risk. In fact, there are some games that people buy mostly because they know that they can share/play it with a PSN friend. That makes Sony more money (perhaps not as much as they LOSE from game sharing, but still). I see game sharing as an incentive to buy certain games (knowing your friends will get to enjoy them too) and I see game lending as an incentive for my friends to buy their own copy of a game that I've lent them so that we can play together.

That's all I'm wondering about right now. Thanks for the tip, CaptainHuggyface. Also, to answer your question, I game share often; I just don't see that as something Sony frown upon.
Message 3 of 8 (82 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
510 posts

Dec 27, 2009

In my experience, I've had to deactivate the other systems.

As for how the psp/ps3 was marketed, of course they want to make it look like it will be the most fun possible for as many people as possible, but in the business world, game companies don't want their games to be played by more than one person. They want everyone that plays it to buy it, so they can get the most money.

Game lending is a great way for friends to try out a game before they make a buy, and in my opinion is a great tool for gaming in general.

Message 4 of 8 (82 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
29365 posts

Dec 28, 2009

You have to log on to PSN from the PSP, and explicitly deactivate the PSP, in order to get the slot back.  Just over-writing the activation with another one won't recover an activation.

The game-sharing feature of the PSP refers to the ability of two or more PSPs to play a game in multi-player mode when only one PSP has a copy of the game.  The game-sharing that is prohibited is when multiple people not in the same household share a PSN account for the purpose of accessing Playstation Store content purchased by another person.   Sharing a PSN account for any purpose is prohibited, and especially so if it is being shared so that multiple unrelated persons can download one person's Playstation Store purchases.  Sony has no problem with sharing games on UMD, and they have no legal right to stop you even if they did.

GKP

GKP
Message 5 of 8 (82 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5189 posts

Dec 28, 2009

Mgs1_Snake wrote:
  If it takes a few minutes, then I might not have a problem at all and I might be able to do what I planned to do next time I try. I have a couple more questions now though. One: if a friend activates a PSP with his/her own account, thus negating your activation of his/her PSP, does this count as you deactivating it or do you still have to manually deactivate his/her system in order to remove that system from your list of 5 activations? In my experience, you still have to deactivate it manually; but I don't know for sure. 

Two: wasn't game sharing marketed as a feature of the PS3/PSP? There are restrictions controlling which games you can share and which games you can lend (the more expensive games can be played on one system at a time per day), so it's obvious that they could stop you from sharing games if they wanted to. I'm sure that Sony know that people are sharing games with their PSN friends at their own risk. In fact, there are some games that people buy mostly because they know that they can share/play it with a PSN friend. That makes Sony more money (perhaps not as much as they LOSE from game sharing, but still). I see game sharing as an incentive to buy certain games (knowing your friends will get to enjoy them too) and I see game lending as an incentive for my friends to buy their own copy of a game that I've lent them so that we can play together.

That's all I'm wondering about right now. Thanks for the tip, CaptainHuggyface. Also, to answer your question, I game share often; I just don't see that as something Sony frown upon.

I believe the other posters covered this, but lending a UMD is beyond Sony's control, but 'Game Sharing' as marketed by Sony and as it is present on the XMB under the Game section is where on person has a copy of the game and then selects in the menu to multiplay and 'Game Share' the other person put their PSP into 'Game Sharing' mode and they recieve part of the game, one track or level that you both can play against or with each other. I tried this with a friend when I had my first PSP1000 with a version of Burnout, there are not many games that support it and I do not know if this function still works with PSN purchases.

Also as has been mention sharing your account details with people who are not from the same family or household is against the terms of service that you agree to with Sony when you sign up to the PSN, this is basically allowing many peopel to play content they haven't paid for (in a family you don't expect everyone to buy their own copy of a book or movie), although in the past you could just swap UMDs it meant that only one person was playing the purchased game, with downloaded distribution of games the legality gets a lot more complicated, one house has paid for the right to play the game not the whole neighborhood (or something like that).

Message 6 of 8 (82 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Dec 30, 2011

can anyone hlp me? i download stuff from my other acc on my psp and i lost its acc info and i made a new one and i wnt the stuff i got for my first acc to my second acc does an1 know how can i move the games and stuff i bought toward my other acc and i hve another memory card

Message 7 of 8 (82 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
7089 posts

Dec 30, 2011

Contact Sony to recover your first account or buy them again.

Message 8 of 8 (82 Views)
0 Likes