Oct 27 2009
By: valerydb First Son 5 posts

PSP Go: Unable to format system storage.

30 replies 2984 views Edited Oct 27, 2009

Hey,

I was trying to download a game to my PSP Go using Media Go, when the PSP just randomly shut down during the process. It took ages for it to start up again, and it told me the system storage needed to be formatted. When I went to do this, it came up with the following error:
"Format Failed.
(802E1002)"

Is there ANY way to reset the PSP Go, or should I take it back to the store where I got it from..?

Thanks in advance,

Valery

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 31 (2,984 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5189 posts

Re: PSP Go: Unable to format system storage.

Oct 27, 2009

valerydb wrote:

Hey,

I was trying to download a game to my PSP Go using Media Go, when the PSP just randomly shut down during the process. It took ages for it to start up again, and it told me the system storage needed to be formatted. When I went to do this, it came up with the following error:
"Format Failed.
(802E1002)"

Is there ANY way to reset the PSP Go, or should I take it back to the store where I got it from..?

Thanks in advance,

Valery

I hope you get an answer to this, is does sound like a problem to me. With the PSPgo do you have a choice whether to format an M2 card or internal storage? Maybe it is trying to format a card that isn't there?
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 31 (2,984 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
633 posts

Oct 27, 2009
You can always use a computer to format it as well. It won't add all the folders you need, but after you format with a computer, let try to format again on your PSP and see if it lets you (back up your data first)
-insert cool sig here.
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 31 (2,984 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5539 posts

Oct 27, 2009

valerydb wrote:

Hey,

"Format Failed.
(802E1002)"

Thanks in advance,

Valery

Okay I never experienced this specific problem or heard of it, but it sounds like it should be fairly easy to fix. Before you take it back to the store, let me try to lead you through a few things:

First try plugging the PSP go into your computer, deleting EVERYTHING in the device, including all folders. Then unplug it and try formatting it. 

I'm pretty sure this will work. If it doesn't, tell me and I'll have you try a couple more things.

Oh yeah, welcome to the forums! 

Message Edited by GTAMOBSTERX4 on 10-27-2009 05:15 PM
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 31 (2,984 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3024 posts

Oct 27, 2009
Put it in USB mode, open up the disk utility, and format it logically. Or will it let you put it in USB mode?
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5539 posts

Oct 27, 2009

nathanuc1988 wrote:
You can always use a computer to format it as well. It won't add all the folders you need, but after you format with a computer, let try to format again on your PSP and see if it lets you (back up your data first)
That was gonna be my second suggestion
Since my second is already posted, I'll just give you the third:

The third thing you can do is manually format the PSP go after formatting with the computer and then format using the PSP go.

Anyhow, you, the OP, should do them in the order I posted. 

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 31 (2,984 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3675 posts

Oct 27, 2009

If GTAMobster's suggestion doesn't work you could try contacting Sony customer service for an alternate solution.

If that fails too just get a replacement from the store.

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 31 (2,984 Views)
First Son
5 posts

Oct 28, 2009

hello,

thanks for all your fast responses.
I tried to format it via PC, but here is the thing.
When I plug in my psp go to my PC the system does not fully recognize the psp.
It brings up 2 removable hard drives but neither one can be accessed, and when going to properties it cannot read the disk.
Even mediaGo does not recognize the presence of the psp.
Trying to update the psp did not work, and even restoring default settings brings up a screen saying installation data is corrupt after that it reboots and gives the message system storage not accessable please format(which of course is not working).
I realy hope somebody knows how to try and fix this because im starting to get afraid that I will have to return it to the shop or follow and endless repair procedure with sony.

Thanks for your effort,

Valery

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 31 (2,984 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2820 posts

Oct 28, 2009

valerydb wrote:

hello,

It brings up 2 removable hard drives but neither one can be accessed, and when going to properties it cannot read the disk.
Trying to update the psp did not work, and even restoring default settings brings up a screen saying installation data is corrupt after that it reboots and gives the message system storage not accessable please format(which of course is not working).
I realy hope somebody knows how to try and fix this because im starting to get afraid that I will have to return it to the shop or follow and endless repair procedure with sony.

Thanks for your effort,

Valery

You can always try resetting your PSPgo to factory settings by doing

XMB > Settings > System Settings > Restore Default Settings

If you manage to reset your settings, try formatting it with the methods above. If not, I suggest you just return it for another.

And to CaptainHuggyFace, in the System Settings folder, there are two choices, Format Memory Stick and Format System Storage. It'll say that there is no Memory Stick inserted if you choose that option and you don't have one inserted, not the OP's error. Annoying that the the storage and memory stick are separate...you even have to choose whether to save it on the storage or MS when saving stuff online

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 31 (2,984 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5539 posts

Oct 28, 2009

valerydb wrote:

hello,

Thanks for your effort,

Valery

Hmm. Try going to system settings and restore default settings. Then try formatting it. If that doesn't work, and no one else has any other suggestions, I'm afraid you will have to do a exchange. Where did you get it from? If you bought it from say Best Buy, it will be a lot easier to take back and exchange than something like Gamestop.
Also, when did this problem first occur. Like what were you doing? By telling us, we might be able to do the opposite to correct the problem.

Lastly, if you have or have access to a memory card and you don't have the latest firmware, try updating your PSP via the memory card and go from there. 

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 31 (2,984 Views)
0 Likes