MVP Support
13655 posts

Re: PSP Games/PS1 Games look heavily pixelated on VIta. Is there a fix?

Feb 11, 2013
Go play a ps1 game on an HDTV, now THAT'S pixelation.

The games are running on psp resolution but it's on a Vita screen, so of course it will be pixelated. The Vita doesn't upscale.

Same with ps1.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 11 of 26 (1,714 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1628 posts

Feb 12, 2013

I HAAAAAAAATE it when people whine about this. It's retarded. Games don't get more pixelated. They are the **bleep** same. If I stick my nose on the screen playing my PSP, that doesn't mean the game got more pixelated. I'm just being a dumba$$ playing 1-inch from the screen.

That said, they did add Bilinear Filtering, which is pretty cool. Use it.

Still bad? Play PS3 games. Be sure to only buy ones that say 1080p on the back. Wouldn't want any pixelation.

Message 12 of 26 (1,705 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1628 posts

Feb 12, 2013

Oh and if higher resolution is what you expected... that'd be stupid too. PS1 games would then look like N64 games and you'd then be whining about how everything looks like polygons.

Message 13 of 26 (1,704 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
21 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 12, 2013

They are not the same. You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. I am apparantely not the only one who has noticed this since I've done a few searches on google and others have noticed that  ps1/psp games ported over to the Vita suffer visual clarity loss. It's probably an emulation issue, which makes no sense to me because the PS3 emulated PS2/1 games just fine. In fact, on the PS3 games actually looked much better because the PS3 had a fantastic full screen filter that made the games actually look better than they would if played on a PS1/2. Biliner helps give the games more visual clarity but it's not as clear as it would be on a PSP/Playstation 1. I notice a pretty significant difference in visual quality even with the Biliner filter and that's enough to bother me quite a bit, even if it is retarded. A poorly programmed emulation for the Vita, Sony really could have done much better. Not to say I don't like the Vita, I do. A lot. I guess I'm just being picky, but I really expected the games to not look all super jagged when ran on the Vita emulation.

Message 14 of 26 (1,695 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
351 posts

Feb 12, 2013
The sprites look fine on my Vita however my expectations of the old generation games is pretty forgiving... I don't see a big variance between PS1 games on the PSP and the Vita...
Message 15 of 26 (1,669 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4158 posts

Feb 12, 2013
Dude, the Vita screen is bigger than the PSP, even with Bilinear enabled, you still might experience more jagged edges and noticeable pixels. PSP games weren't that clear on the PSP anyway. Gow GoS was probably the only HD psp game.

Plus when you play older games on a newer system(emulation) the graphics are not going to get better. That's a no brainer.
Message 16 of 26 (1,666 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
21 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 12, 2013

Why did the PS3 emulate PS1/2 games just fine then (they actually look better on the PS3) while the Vita cannot emulate PS1/PSP games without visual degredation? FInal Fantasy 7 looks far better on my PS3 even on a 36 inch screen compared to the Vita. It's an emulation issue, not a screen size issue. An inch bigger screen should not cause that much pixelation. Hell, FF7 looks great on a big screen when using a PS3, and PS1 games have small resolutions.

Message 17 of 26 (1,660 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4158 posts

Feb 12, 2013
I can't stand to play PS1 games on 1080p. It's looks terrible. Don't trick yourself thinking the system is making the game look better. It's all in the screen. OLED and psp/PS1 don't bode well together.
Message 18 of 26 (1,647 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
129 posts

Feb 12, 2013

Well, ps vita's screendefinition is higher than psp's (2 or 4 times, I dont really remember)  so with the same image, psp would looks "smoother" but not vivid as psv. After all, you should blame the Blinear filltering for not being able to solve this.

Message 19 of 26 (1,634 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
891 posts

Feb 12, 2013

I don't have any complaints playing PSP games on my Vita but it's been a few years since I touched a PSP so maybe I would notice a big difference. The games do seem a bit darker but it's fine IMO. As for why PS1 games look good on the PS3, it may be because you enabled "smoothing" in the options which softens and makes the picture look better. I haven't tried changing any screen settings on the Vita though but it would be nice to adjust PS1 games to have a larger screen size. It's hard playing Mobile Light Force with a small screen.

photo wizard_zps4173ab5c.png
Message 20 of 26 (1,619 Views)