Feb 11 2013
By: NeverGivUpHope22 First Son 21 posts

PSP Games/PS1 Games look heavily pixelated on VIta. Is there a fix?

[ Edited ]
25 replies 5321 views Edited Feb 11, 2013

I am so extremely disappointed that non Vita games look so bad on the Vita. Vita games look great, and I notice no pixelation. I have Metal Gear Solid HD and it looks fantastic. I have purchased Final Fantasy 7 and Final Fantasy Dissidia Duodecim 012 on the PS Store and downloaded those two to my Vita. I noticed when I started playing FF7 that the game looked heavily pixelated, it looked far better on the original Playstation, and I'd know the difference since I played this game numerous times on my original playstation, and in comparison it looks much better compared to how it looks on the Vita. Duodecim is the same... very pixelated, and it hardly even looks HD as there is so much pixelation. The PS3 had great backwards compatibality and it played FF7 and old PS1 games very well and they all look great, even better because the PS3 had a full screen filter option. Why does the Vita have horrible backwards compatability? This sucks man. I feel regretful ever purchasing a Vita at this point. Is there something I can do about this? I tried turning on and off biliner filtering on the Vita and it doesn't make it look much better.

Message 1 of 26 (5,321 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2536 posts

Re: PSP Games/PS1 Games look heavily pixelated on VIta. Is there a fix?

Feb 11, 2013
PSP / PSOne Classics aren't HD games, they are emulated games. Of course they won't look on par with PSV games, if you expected them to look HD-ish then I'm afraid you didn't do your reseach. It's the same result you get on a PS3 / PSP~.
Message 2 of 26 (5,314 Views)
First Son
21 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 11, 2013

Bro, I owned a PSP before purchasing a Vita, and I also owned Duodecim for the PSP. On the PSP is looked absolutely great, I noticed no pixelation. On the Vita it looks terrible. I know what I'm talking about. Why does Duodecim look so much better on the PSP-3000 and not on the Vita? Something is wrong. There is pixelation there that shouldn't be there. Like I said, PS3 emulated PS1 games fine, why isn't the Vita able to do so as well?

Message 3 of 26 (5,312 Views)
Survivor
2536 posts

Feb 11, 2013
Actually, it's the exact same emulation. If there's a stretching going on it's because, of course, the PSV's screen is considerably bigger than the PSP's. Though, to be honest, of all the PSP games I've played, none look pixelated like you claim to be~.

You said "and it hardly even looks HD as there is so much pixelation", it's not supposed to look HD. It's a PSP game running emulated on an OLED screen, that doesn't automagically turn a game into HD. It's still a PSP game, and it'll be slightly stretched. With bilinear filter on I honest to God haven't experienced any of your quarrels~.
Message 4 of 26 (5,305 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
21 posts

Feb 11, 2013

I guess I shouldn't of said "HD" I should of just said that it doesn't look as good as it should. I have both a Vita right here and a PSP-3000 and I compared how they both look playing Duodecim on both portables and I must say it looks less pixelated on the PSP-3000. I have a feeling that something is faulty with my Vita system. The screen isn't much bigger than a PSP-3000's and it shouldn't cause that much pixelation. You can especially notice the pixelation in the text. On the PSP-3000 they look smooth, very smooth edges and it looks good, on the Vita they look pixelated and don't look at all as good as the PSP-3000's.

Message 5 of 26 (5,296 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1033 posts

Feb 11, 2013

@NeverGivUpHope22 did you try changing the settings because by default its supposed to look pixelated given the size of the screen

Message 6 of 26 (5,293 Views)
Treasure Hunter
3915 posts

Feb 11, 2013

NeverGivUpHope22 wrote:

Bro, I owned a PSP before purchasing a Vita, and I also owned Duodecim for the PSP. On the PSP is looked absolutely great, I noticed no pixelation. On the Vita it looks terrible. I know what I'm talking about. Why does Duodecim look so much better on the PSP-3000 and not on the Vita? Something is wrong. There is pixelation there that shouldn't be there. Like I said, PS3 emulated PS1 games fine, why isn't the Vita able to do so as well?

I have Duodecim on my Vita and it desn't look as bad as you're describing. Sure, it's a bit pixelated. But it's not terrible at all. In fact, it's hardly that noticable. To me, at least.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 7 of 26 (5,290 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1508 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 11, 2013

I don't think it looks any worse playing on the Vita, looking at these videos.

Maybe your Vita is having problems. The PSP games I've purchased (Puzzle Quest, GoW: CoO, Crimson Gem Saga, Castlevania, etc...) look fine on mine.

Btw, while there are past Sony titles I'd like to play on my Vita, to say you shouldn't have got one because of this is just ridiculous.

PSP gameplay.

PS Vita gameplay.

Message 8 of 26 (5,286 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3209 posts

Feb 11, 2013
If you press and hold your finger on the screen, the settings menu will pop up. PS1 games - go to other settings. Select and check the box for Bilinear Filtering. PSP games - Bilinear Filtering is the top 1st setting. Check the box. It helps with the smoothing of the textures and graphics. Hope this helps.
PSN: Deaofly
60 GIG Ps3 Owner Since January 21, 2007
500GB Ps4 Owner Since November 22, 2014
1000 Model PSP Owner, PSP Go Owner and PS Vita Owner
PS1 and PS2, Both Original Systems.
Message 9 of 26 (5,274 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
21 posts

Feb 11, 2013

I can't even make out the faces too well at all on the characters in Duodecim, all of them look that pixelated the detail on the faces are awful during battles. It's that bad, I'm not kidding. Also, I do have biliner filter enabled. I wonder what's wrong?

Message 10 of 26 (5,260 Views)
0 Likes