Reply
First Son
Registered: 09/07/2007
Offline
32 posts
 

Re: PSN movies show 5.1 audio but PS3 only plays 2.0 audio

Jul 12, 2010

 


xonant wrote:

While the movie is playing, press triangle for options, scroll to audio options and press enter, that should switch the sound from ACC 2ch, to ACC 5.1 ch.


When I try this, the audio stops playing until I hit the triangle again.  It seems to cycle between 2 channel and nothing.

 

"My actions are not revenge...they are punishment..."
PSN: EvilPeppard
Message 11 of 24 (1,533 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 08/05/2006
Online
7032 posts
 

Re: PSN movies show 5.1 audio but PS3 only plays 2.0 audio

Jul 12, 2010
The audio is AAC 5.1 if included in the file.

HDMI = yes AAC 5.1 decoded to PCM 5.1

Optical = No to AAC 5.1 decoded to PCM 2.0.

The limitation is the optical connection and has been this way EVER since the PSN 5.1 audio tracks started.

The US stores users stopped bothering to post about it.


SIEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester
I use Game Capture HD II to capture and upload videos on to youtube

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

 View forum in Full Desktop Power or Mobile Mode


 

Message 12 of 24 (1,533 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 09/07/2007
Offline
32 posts
 

Re: PSN movies show 5.1 audio but PS3 only plays 2.0 audio

Jul 12, 2010

 


GraphiteGB wrote:
The audio is AAC 5.1 if included in the file.

HDMI = yes AAC 5.1 decoded to PCM 5.1

Optical = No to AAC 5.1 decoded to PCM 2.0.

The limitation is the optical connection and has been this way EVER since the PSN 5.1 audio tracks started.

The US stores users stopped bothering to post about it.


 

Well, this answers my questions.  I have been searching for this information for some time and glad someone clarified it.  Thank you.

 

I'm not sure why you added the part "The US stores users stopped bothering to post about it." I am from the U.S. stores market and was posting because I could not find any information on this particular subject. 

 

I hope this thread serves helpful to others like me who were looking for this information.

"My actions are not revenge...they are punishment..."
PSN: EvilPeppard
Message 13 of 24 (1,533 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 08/05/2006
Online
7032 posts
 

Re: PSN movies show 5.1 audio but PS3 only plays 2.0 audio

Jul 12, 2010
Sorry. there has been a mass upload of Canadians on the boards lately, Sorry.

SIEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester
I use Game Capture HD II to capture and upload videos on to youtube

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

 View forum in Full Desktop Power or Mobile Mode


 

Message 14 of 24 (1,533 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 09/07/2007
Offline
32 posts
 

Re: PSN movies show 5.1 audio but PS3 only plays 2.0 audio

Jul 12, 2010

 


GraphiteGB wrote:
Sorry. there has been a mass upload of Canadians on the boards lately, Sorry.

No prob.  Thanks again for the info.

 

"My actions are not revenge...they are punishment..."
PSN: EvilPeppard
Message 15 of 24 (1,533 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
Registered: 12/03/2004
Offline
12346 posts
 

Re: PSN movies show 5.1 audio but PS3 only plays 2.0 audio

Jul 13, 2010

EvilPeppard wrote:

 


leukoplast wrote:

EvilPeppard wrote:

Nope.  I have not found a resolution to this.

 

I was told your amplifier needs to be able to decode the AAC format and not many receivers have this capability.  Not sure if that part is true or not.


The next test would be for me to upgrade my receiver to one with HDMI support and use only the HDMI from the PS3 to the amplifer and see if I get Dolby 5.1 over 2.0


There's your problem. Optical audio cannot carry lossless/uncompressed 5.1 audio, only HDMI can do that. Optical can only carry 2 channels of uncompressed audio.

And seeing as you are downloading a HD movie from the PS store, more than likely they have the DTS-MA or Dolby Digital True HD audio setups by default. Therefore you can only utilize 2 channels of that uncompressed audio awesomeness.

Also take note that in order to utilize 5.1/7.1 uncompressed audio your receiver must be able to handle it as well.

 

If that is the case, why do my Blu Ray discs and Blu Ray games decode in 5.1 over the same optical cable to the amplifier?

 

Also, I have my Xbox Elite connected to the same amplifier with an optical connection and get 5.1 audio from both games and dowloaded movies just fine.


I didn't say optical cannot carry a 5.1 signal.. I said it cannot carry a 5.1 UNCOMPRESSED/LOSSLESS signal. There is a HUGE difference. The 5.1 you get from optical is lossy, IE compressed. Like a MP3. Lossless/uncompressed is how it sounds... uncompressed, like CD quality sound.



When you watch a blu-ray movie on disk, it has many audio options. Usually it will have a uncompressed option (Like Dolby Digital true HD/DTS-HDMA) and then a regular compressed Dolby Digial/DTS option which works with optical. I assume, when you download a movie from the PS store, they only give one audio option, which is uncompressed. So since optical can only handle 2 channels of uncompressed audio, it is forced to do only 2 channels.

Message 16 of 24 (1,533 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 09/07/2007
Offline
32 posts
 

Re: PSN movies show 5.1 audio but PS3 only plays 2.0 audio

Jul 14, 2010

 


leukoplast wrote:

EvilPeppard wrote:

 


leukoplast wrote:

EvilPeppard wrote:

Nope.  I have not found a resolution to this.

 

I was told your amplifier needs to be able to decode the AAC format and not many receivers have this capability.  Not sure if that part is true or not.


The next test would be for me to upgrade my receiver to one with HDMI support and use only the HDMI from the PS3 to the amplifer and see if I get Dolby 5.1 over 2.0


There's your problem. Optical audio cannot carry lossless/uncompressed 5.1 audio, only HDMI can do that. Optical can only carry 2 channels of uncompressed audio.

And seeing as you are downloading a HD movie from the PS store, more than likely they have the DTS-MA or Dolby Digital True HD audio setups by default. Therefore you can only utilize 2 channels of that uncompressed audio awesomeness.

Also take note that in order to utilize 5.1/7.1 uncompressed audio your receiver must be able to handle it as well.

 

If that is the case, why do my Blu Ray discs and Blu Ray games decode in 5.1 over the same optical cable to the amplifier?

 

Also, I have my Xbox Elite connected to the same amplifier with an optical connection and get 5.1 audio from both games and dowloaded movies just fine.


I didn't say optical cannot carry a 5.1 signal.. I said it cannot carry a 5.1 UNCOMPRESSED/LOSSLESS signal. There is a HUGE difference. The 5.1 you get from optical is lossy, IE compressed. Like a MP3. Lossless/uncompressed is how it sounds... uncompressed, like CD quality sound.



When you watch a blu-ray movie on disk, it has many audio options. Usually it will have a uncompressed option (Like Dolby Digital true HD/DTS-HDMA) and then a regular compressed Dolby Digial/DTS option which works with optical. I assume, when you download a movie from the PS store, they only give one audio option, which is uncompressed. So since optical can only handle 2 channels of uncompressed audio, it is forced to do only 2 channels.


Ok, thank you for clarifying.  I hope the PSN will get onboard with Amazon Video on Demand and Xbox's Zune network and start delivering 5.1 audio movies.  I love watching movies on my PS3, but I hate the 2.0 audio.

 

"My actions are not revenge...they are punishment..."
PSN: EvilPeppard
Message 17 of 24 (1,533 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 12/21/2010
Offline
1 posts
 

Re: PSN movies show 5.1 audio but PS3 only plays 2.0 audio

Dec 21, 2010

Try This ... it works for me

 

In your PS3 go to Sound settings - Audio Digital Settings - Optical Digital ... and remove option 'ACC' and keep the rest checked - save and exit.

 

 

Message 18 of 24 (1,533 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 09/07/2007
Offline
32 posts
 

Re: PSN movies show 5.1 audio but PS3 only plays 2.0 audio

Dec 21, 2010

I'll check the settings again.  Thanks.

"My actions are not revenge...they are punishment..."
PSN: EvilPeppard
Message 19 of 24 (1,533 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 01/16/2011
Offline
1 posts
 

Re: PSN movies show 5.1 audio but PS3 only plays 2.0 audio

Jan 16, 2011

You need to go into settings - video settings - BD/dvd Audio Output Format (HDMI) or Optical.   Change PCM Linear to Bitstream.

AND DOLBY DIGITAL u get!!!

Message 20 of 24 (1,533 Views)
0 Likes