Apr 21 2010
By: EvilPeppard First Son 32 posts

PSN movies show 5.1 audio but PS3 only plays 2.0 audio

[ Edited ]
23 replies 5180 views Edited Jul 28, 2014

I have seen this question asked on these forums and in other places, but no answer has really been given. I have a first generation PS3 (fat PS3). Blu Ray movies and games all play in 5.1 surround sound just fine on my sourround sound system. When I download an HD movie from the Playstation Store, it only plays in Dolby 2.0. I have verified the specifications of the movie show both 2.0/5.1 audio available, but I cannot get the downloaded movies to play in anything but 2.0. I have tried hitting the triangle to change the audio, but the signal never changes. Is this some limitation with the first generation PS3? Does the PS3 slim handle downloaded movies and audio different?

Do HD movies downloaded from the Playstation Store that list 5.1 audio actually play in 5.1? I cannot understand why the movies would list 5.1 surround and not play in that mode. The size of the download (5 - 7GB) obviously shows the HD audio is included.

I have an XBOX 360 Ultra that we also watch downloaded movies on. Those play in 5.1 audio just fine. I would watch more downloaded movies on our XBOX but the Zune library is still fairly limited on what is available. I really like the PSN library because it is much more vast and seems there are always new movies to download, they just don't play in 5.1 audio, which sucks since I have a large surround sound system.

Any feedback would be much appreciated on my questions. Thanks in advance for your time.

Mod Edit: Updated label. Click here for more info on labels

Thanks!   ~lovely1rainbow

"My actions are not revenge...they are punishment..."
PSN: EvilPeppard
Message 1 of 24 (5,180 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Re: PSN movies show 5.1 audio but PS3 only plays 2.0 audio

Jun 23, 2010

I have been searching for an answer for this for awhile now myself.  It's quite frustrating to say the least.  Please reply if you've found an answer since your original post.  Thanks!

Message 2 of 24 (5,180 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
32 posts

Jun 23, 2010

Nope.  I have not found a resolution to this.

I was told your amplifier needs to be able to decode the AAC format and not many receivers have this capability.  Not sure if that part is true or not.

The next test would be for me to upgrade my receiver to one with HDMI support and use only the HDMI from the PS3 to the amplifer and see if I get Dolby 5.1 over 2.0

Message 3 of 24 (5,180 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
501 posts

Jun 23, 2010

have you tried using a optical cable from your ps3 to your home theatre? dont know if that will do it but it might. i use one for mine and everything sounds so much better.

Message 4 of 24 (5,180 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
32 posts

Jun 24, 2010

An optical cable is how I have my PS3 connected to my amp.  I have also gone into the audio settings of the PS3 and ensured the optical settings have AAC enabled for 5.1 output.  Still, only disc-based games and Blu Ray play in 5.1.  Any downloaded movies do not.

Message 5 of 24 (5,180 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jun 24, 2010

Did you tried to set your PS3 with only 5.1 audio and disabling any 2.0?

This way you can try to force 5.1 audio

Message 6 of 24 (5,180 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
32 posts

Jun 24, 2010

Not sure where I would disable any 2.0.  Any tips?

I guess where I am going with this thread is to see if anyone else has actually downloaded a movie from PSN and had it play in Dolby 5.1?

Can anyone answer this?  That way we all don't have to do messing with settings until we prove the movies actually play in digital 5.1.

Thanks.

Message 7 of 24 (5,180 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Jul 11, 2010

While the movie is playing, press triangle for options, scroll to audio options and press enter, that should switch the sound from ACC 2ch, to ACC 5.1 ch.

Message 8 of 24 (5,180 Views)
Last Guardian
12346 posts

Jul 11, 2010

EvilPeppard wrote:

I was told your amplifier needs to be able to decode the AAC format and not many receivers have this capability.  Not sure if that part is true or not.

The next test would be for me to upgrade my receiver to one with HDMI support and use only the HDMI from the PS3 to the amplifer and see if I get Dolby 5.1 over 2.0

There's your problem. Optical audio cannot carry lossless/uncompressed 5.1 audio, only HDMI can do that. Optical can only carry 2 channels of uncompressed audio.

And seeing as you are downloading a HD movie from the PS store, more than likely they have the DTS-MA or Dolby Digital True HD audio setups by default. Therefore you can only utilize 2 channels of that uncompressed audio awesomeness.

Also take note that in order to utilize 5.1/7.1 uncompressed audio your receiver must be able to handle it as well.
Message 9 of 24 (5,180 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
32 posts

Jul 12, 2010

leukoplast wrote:

EvilPeppard wrote:

There's your problem. Optical audio cannot carry lossless/uncompressed 5.1 audio, only HDMI can do that. Optical can only carry 2 channels of uncompressed audio.

And seeing as you are downloading a HD movie from the PS store, more than likely they have the DTS-MA or Dolby Digital True HD audio setups by default. Therefore you can only utilize 2 channels of that uncompressed audio awesomeness.

Also take note that in order to utilize 5.1/7.1 uncompressed audio your receiver must be able to handle it as well.

If that is the case, why do my Blu Ray discs and Blu Ray games decode in 5.1 over the same optical cable to the amplifier?

Also, I have my Xbox Elite connected to the same amplifier with an optical connection and get 5.1 audio from both games and dowloaded movies just fine.

Message 10 of 24 (5,180 Views)
0 Likes