First Son
22 posts

Re: PSN Pass = Bad Business Move

Jul 13, 2011

Single-player or multi-player, it doesn't matter.  If I don't want to play it anymore, the guy I give, loan, or sell it to shouldn't have to pay more to play a game I've already purchased the rights to play...  They're saying it's to recoup money to keep the servers up, but that cost is included in my $59.99 or better purchase price and shouldn't be gained a second time by a second/third/fourth/etc. purchaser.  It's kind of ridiculous.  And, used games already cost too much.  Most of them cost about $5 less than brand-new.  When you add on the $10 online pass price, who's going to pay $5 more than retail for a used game??!?!?

Used Game Cost > New Game Cost = DEAD Used Game Market.....

Message 21 of 37 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
547 posts

Jul 13, 2011

It's not ignorant it's different than your opinion so therefore you don't like it. I could just as easily say your ignorant in your stance. So please lets not go there. Since you wish to continue to talk money lets do that. I work 8-10hrs a day, my girlfriend and I stay together with her 3 kids, I also have 2 kids of my own from a previously failed marriage which I pay child support for. I don't make a lot of money. I am actually in the lower middle class bracket if you wish to get technical. The thing is I manage my money I have a hobbie and that is gaming so I make sure that I can maintain my habit. I also got my kids into gaming and even though my exwife gets nearly $800 a month from me in CS payment I still buy them all their games because I'm daddy and those are my babies. If you really think that this is going to effect Sony's sales then you're only fooling yourself. Like I also stated if you can fight the big bad companies by not spending your money witrh them. Also I didn't know this was a thread to be posted in by people that only agree with you. We shall just agree to disagree and I'll move on. No hard feelings

Message 22 of 37 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
38 posts

Jul 13, 2011

And as unfair as the used game market currently is, it still supports new game purchases, which are what makes publishers & developers their money. So to kill something that helps move new game sales in the process, however unfair it is currently, is not a smart move for SONY or the industry. This is just a way for them to justify a pay to play service......which they are too afaraid to introduce even though it would be more honest. $10 per used game is insane and alot more than say a $60 a year pay to play network.

Message 23 of 37 (7 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
17 posts

Jul 13, 2011

Absolutely it will slow the sale of new games. I buy many new games each year (currently have $515.00 in existing preorders for games and hardware to be released this year). However, the only way I can afford this luxury is to sell my completed games on eBay to offset the cost of purchasing games new. But now, the value of the games I sell will be reduced by $10.00 each. Those reductions will add up and result in me purchasing fewer games over the course of the year – thus hurting developers and publishers. It’s not exactly rocket science – less money in a consumer’s pocket, the less money he or she can spend.

Message 24 of 37 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
38 posts

Jul 13, 2011

Hey I'm honestly not trying to be a prick, my bro has 3 kids and works insane hours as well. I'm just saying that as a gamer, you have to see that this isn't motivated by anything but greed. It's not going to help the developers or the publishers or us. So I can't support it, and yes I will disagree with you. The money IS the arguement though. There are plenty of people in your situation that don't have that extra $10 or the ability to buy new. I'm all for earning what you got, but where has that line gone? I think it's a bit blurred. I think consumer laws need to be looked at, especially in the online space....therefor I can't in clear conscience support anything that seems like a sketchy or covert business practice. I'm not mad at you as much as I'm disappointed that you don't see the picture from my perspective. I don't have hate for anybody. I make my opinions and views in the benefit of the greater good. Like I said, Ive been gaming since Intellivision in 1979........and I buy new just like you. In all my years I'd bet my life that less that 10% of my game purchases were used games. I'm thinking solely for the people that can't afford to buy new & the entire used game market that helps keep the industry afloat.  So absolutely no hard feelings honestly, we just disagree.

Should people in used cars have to pay extra to use the highway systems & the radio?

Message 25 of 37 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Lombax Warrior
200 posts

Jul 13, 2011

KONFLIKT wrote:

Should people in used cars have to pay extra to use the highway systems & the radio?

People who buy used cars have to pay for the roads through tolls and taxes.  Also, if the car has satellite radio they have to pay for that, gas, insurance, maintence, and dice to hang off the mirror.

Also, the people who buy used cars are allowed to go offroad and use roads not owned by the manufacturer of their car.

Comparing this online pass and used games to cars is kinda annoying me already.

Message 26 of 37 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2922 posts

Jul 13, 2011

DANG! This discussion is getting hot, hot, HOT!

Anyway...

As long as this "pass" is just for online play, I should have no worries. I only rent games for their story and buy games for their multiplayer.

Metallica Pinball Sig photo LONG-LIVE-PLAY-METALLICA-PINBALL_zps397a82cb.jpg
Gameplay -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gzxc59Y6GcA
Message 27 of 37 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8540 posts

Jul 13, 2011

used game sales prolong the time publishers have to support online play.

used game buyers should share the cost of keeping the servers up beyong the time they would be used by original purchasers.

who else should pay for the extended life of the game? tack it on to the original price? thats not really fair.

i dont have a problem paying on used games.

Photobucket
Message 28 of 37 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3334 posts

Jul 13, 2011

i agree, also netflix.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicHEAVY WEAPONS GUYImage and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 29 of 37 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
959 posts

Jul 13, 2011

i agree and i also buy new games and then trade them in to help fund buying more new games.

the only thing you left out is, now trading in those games with online pass' will be devalued upon trade in, giving me less money to buy new games

Message 30 of 37 (7 Views)
0 Likes