Jul 27 2013
By: gravediggaz79 Sackboy 547 posts

PSN Games not Backwards Compatible?

16 replies 243 views Edited Jul 27, 2013

I just traded in my PS3 for my PS4 but I have a extra 80 B/C PS3 laying around. Is it 100% true that PSN downloadable content will not work on PS4. I bought Tomb Raider and a bunch of other games and avatars and wanted to confirm if it will not work on PS4. Is it official that it will not work on the new system?

gravediggaz79>Games:MetalGearSolid4,Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2,Batman Arkham Asylum, LittleBigPlanet,Burnout Paradise,Killzone 2,Resident Evil 5,Street Fighter IV Edition.Resistance 2,Grand Theft Auto IV
Message 1 of 17 (243 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
5187 posts

Re: PSN Games not Backwards Compatible?

Jul 27, 2013

Disc and digital based PS3 games will NOT work on the PS4.

The is no information on the avatars or themes.

Consumer Services and Technical Support 1-800-345-7669
Mon - Fri, 8:00AM - 8:00PM PST

Live Chat
I don't work for Sony. Just a gamer helping others.
Message 2 of 17 (238 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
39433 posts

Jul 27, 2013

Correct.

Although some, but I think in very limited quantities, at least initially PS1/2 & 3 will be avaialble to play on the PS4 via Sony's new strreaming service.

BRIT-KO

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Message 3 of 17 (237 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
547 posts

Jul 27, 2013
How will these games be streamed? Directly from the internet? or with the connected device? It kind of sucks I will not even be able to play PSN games I downloaded. I mean why can't they allow that. I can see the discs not being able to play for downloadable games. They are just trying to get over on us. One more way they can find a way to charge us for games we already bought. I still have my PS3 but would just like to at least use my downloadable games.
gravediggaz79>Games:MetalGearSolid4,Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2,Batman Arkham Asylum, LittleBigPlanet,Burnout Paradise,Killzone 2,Resident Evil 5,Street Fighter IV Edition.Resistance 2,Grand Theft Auto IV
Message 4 of 17 (220 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
5187 posts

Jul 27, 2013

gravediggaz79 wrote:
How will these games be streamed? Directly from the internet? or with the connected device? It kind of sucks I will not even be able to play PSN games I downloaded. I mean why can't they allow that. I can see the discs not being able to play for downloadable games. They are just trying to get over on us. One more way they can find a way to charge us for games we already bought. I still have my PS3 but would just like to at least use my downloadable games.

We don't know yet. Likely directly from their servers. 

Because the PS4 is a completely different architecture the PS3. Please read through this Link. It will explain it in more detail.

No they're not.

Live Chat
Message 5 of 17 (211 Views)
Fender Bender
2599 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 27, 2013

Absolutely NO content on ANY current platform will work on PS4. I still dont understand why people dont get that fact yet. Sony is NOT obligated to provide B/C. 

They are entirely different platforms. If you want to play your PS3 games, keep your PS3. Dont sell it.

B/C is bad anyways. Sony lost lots of money on the PS3 because of B/C. The emotion engine chip in the PS3 fat caused them to lose lots of money. (It was around $150 per chip to produce). This made us have such high prices and we also lost out on lots of things that could of been done if they had the money. Now with PS4 not having to worry about that, we are good. Also not the mention: The PS3 units with the emotion engine tended to overheat. This was because the chip got hot. (Seriously, open a PS3 and feel the chip. Its very hot for being so small). This is why the power consumption of the PS3 80GB Fat and later models were lower and thus stayed cooler. Removing B/C was the best thing to happen. Id rather have a RELIABLE console than a broken console just because i wanted to play my OLD games. Im buying a PS4 to PLAY NEXT GEN GAMES. Not play old games. 

Message 6 of 17 (209 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

Jul 27, 2013

gravediggaz79 wrote:

So let me ask you this question.  What is the difference between a PSN game and a physical disc game, disregarding the method of delivery?  (E.g. downloaded versus disc).

As an example, what is the difference between the download version of MLB The Show '13 and the physical game disc when it's played in your PS3?

Message 7 of 17 (190 Views)
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
9334 posts

Jul 27, 2013

gravediggaz79 wrote:

Here is a E3 video that explains Gaikai and PS4 backwards compatibility.

muppet-going-crazy_70.gif

Here's symbols to copy & paste into your friends list comment. ℡ № ª
⇒⇔ ¹ ² ³ ® ™ ‰ © ½ ¼ ¾ ←↑→↓ψ † ‡ ※♪♭♯★ ☆▲▼△▽◆ ◇ ○ ◎ ● ■ □ 回 〓 √∞♂♀ 웃 유
Ω ①②③④⑤⑥⑦⑧⑨⑩⑪⑫⑬⑭⑮⑯⑰⑱⑲⑳ ㎎ ㎏ ㎜ ㎝ ㎞ ㎡ ㏄ ≒ Æ æ η α β ε α₩£ ≡ » « ¶ † εïз ∵
∴ #’〈 〉《 》「」『 』【 】〔 〕ミ 彡 ッ シ!#@ $ %
&()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz[\
]^_`{|}~¢£ㄻ ㄼ ㄽ ㄾ ㄿ ㅁ ㅂ ㅄ ㅅ ㅆ ㅇ ㅈ ㅊ ㅋ ㅌ ㅍ ㅎㄱ 을 ㄺ卍∃⊥ ∀ Ξ Σ Π 文 ≒≠ ≡≦
≧ⅠⅡⅢ Ⅳ Ⅴ Ⅵ Ⅶ Ⅷ Ⅸ Ⅹ ⅰ ⅱ ⅲ ⅳ ⅴ ⅵ ⅶ ⅷ ⅸ ⅹ¬ ̄ ±∂∩∀∇∠∧∨∩∪∫∬⊂⊃⊥⊿⌒─│┌┐└┘├┤┬┴┼─
━│┃┌┏ ┐┓└┗ ┘┛├┝┠┣ ┤┥┨┫┬ ┯ ┰ ┳ ┴ ┷ ┸ ┻ ┼ ┿ ╂ ╋
Message 8 of 17 (177 Views)
Sackboy
547 posts

Jul 27, 2013
Anyone can talk about architecture and chips all day. But they need to make the online service worth it. There are still games I need to go back and finish and some people don't want to have two consoles if they can have one that does it all. I'm not upset about the discs not working. Its the downloadable games that I might have to repurchase. They can't even been downloaded from my account and paid on the PS4. Say whatever you want but its still not legit and explaining architecture doesn't make up for it. They haven't even explained which games will be on Gaikai anyway. If they give us a good library then i'll be ok with it. But will I have to buy the games I already spent money on? A bunch corporate monopoly if you ask me!!
Message 9 of 17 (157 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
5187 posts

Jul 27, 2013

gravediggaz79 wrote:
Anyone can talk about architecture and chips all day. But they need to make the online service worth it. There are still games I need to go back and finish and some people don't want to have two consoles if they can have one that does it all. I'm not upset about the discs not working. Its the downloadable games that I might have to repurchase. They can't even been downloaded from my account and paid on the PS4. Say whatever you want but its still not legit and explaining architecture doesn't make up for it. They haven't even explained which games will be on Gaikai anyway. If they give us a good library then i'll be ok with it. But will I have to buy the games I already spent money on? A bunch corporate monopoly if you ask me!!

Some people don't want to pay $700 for a backwards compatible game system.

We don't know yet. It could be downloaded through Gaikai.

Gaikai is not launching until next year. They annot announce anything about specific games until closer to launch.

Sony tried to get it to work, but they couldn't and apologized for it.

Live Chat
Message 10 of 17 (152 Views)