Jan 15 2012
By: AULT_MY_GOSH First Son 2 posts

PSN Card - Scratch Carefully in Canada

11 replies 6951 views Edited Jan 15, 2012

So what happens when you get a PSN Card and you just get so excited that you just scratch too hard and you end up damaging the code underneath and cannot read the entire voucher?

Well... If you live in the US, just call support and let them know and then you will email them a scan of the front and rear of the card and a copy of your store receipt. And when they get the email with the pictures of your card and receipt, they will add the funds directly to your account for you.

So what's the problem with Canadian PSN Cards? 

Well if you look at the pictures below, you'll notice the US card has two barcodes; a regular UPC code at the top right, and a second mystery code directly underneath the voucher code.  Thats the barcode the retailler needs to scan to activate the card.  When you send a scan of the PSN card to tech support, all they are looking for (other than proof that you have the card) is the last ten digits of that other barcode (which are also the ten digits at the very bottom of the card).  With that number they can find you're voucher code, whether or not it's activated, whether or not it's been redeemed, and all that.

USA

50065214_org.v1284898125.jpg

The Canadian card has no such barcode; only the UPC code at the top right and some five digit number at the bottom which doesn't tell support anything.  Therefore, if you're voucher code is unreadable, Sony cannot help you, because they cannot find your code for you, and they can't check if the code was used by you or not, etc.

Canada                                                                           

2gt17aa.jpg

And I love how the US card says scratch "gently", but the Canadian card doesn't... and it's really the Canadian card that requires extra precaution when scratching.

The thing I'm not sure about is if all Canadian cards are like this, or if some of them actually have the activation barcode on them.  I'm thinking no, but I'm not sure.

So.  If the card has no barcode (or magnetic strip) under the voucher "scratch off" area, then be extra careful when scratching.

Message 2 of 12 (6,951 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1362 posts

Re: PSN Card - Scratch Carefully in Canada

Jan 15, 2012

I don't get why people have a problem with this.  I mean heck I use the sharp edge of a key and I've never scratched off any part of the code.  And I scratched off over 30 Nexon Cash cards last year with the same key.  No problems.

Message 1 of 12 (6,951 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jan 15, 2012

Well... it's mostly the younger kids that run into this problem.  But ya... it doesn't happen often.

Message 3 of 12 (6,951 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jun 30, 2012

it happened to me while using a coin. i guess some cards are stronger than others. luckily it was only one digit so I had to find out if it was 1 T I or 7.

Message 4 of 12 (6,950 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Jul 1, 2012

I used my finger nail........ never an issue

Furiously Chaosing
Message 5 of 12 (6,932 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
9685 posts

Jul 1, 2012

Double_Jay01 wrote:

it happened to me while using a coin. i guess some cards are stronger than others. luckily it was only one digit so I had to find out if it was 1 T I or 7.

That's somewhat true. Some of them are more resistant. But if anything shouldn't support be able to credit you if you have proof of purchase?

Message 6 of 12 (6,926 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Aug 2, 2012

i just did that, now i have 2 digits gone, i think ones a t. the other i have noi clue

Message 7 of 12 (6,621 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
11942 posts

Aug 2, 2012
It's strange because the old cards (black, with something like Warhawk on them) were hard for me to scratch. I never ruined the code though. Since they introduced the new ones (white-ish, with the PSN logo on the front) I found that they are significantly easier to scratch, with the exception of one I bought last week. Fascinating, huh?
Message 8 of 12 (6,613 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Aug 3, 2012

coming back to this thread, i think the issue is more of people being too aggressive.....

I remember a local news article about a young married couple claiming they won a $50k scratch off, but because they scratched a few areas so hard, it made it near impossible for the lottery company that issued the ticket to verify the validity of their claim.

The only thing they could be for certain was that the ticket was purchased at the store the couple mentioned and was verified by the company.

And because it was more of a waiting game to see if anyone else stepped forward to rightfully claim the winnings, the story was ran for 2 months off an on for a 30second update on the TV and a few lines in the paper.

The lottery company finally paid up because there was no substantial evidence to prove or disprove the couples winnings.

A week later the news had a section on how to properly scratch off lottery tickets, which was produced by the state lottery comission.

I can admit that i've been a bit aggressive with scratch offs, using different objects..... thats when I realized that using my fingernail was the best way

Furiously Chaosing
Message 9 of 12 (6,602 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3317 posts

Aug 3, 2012

i have yet to see a card here in the U.S. where im at that says scratch off gently but i have never had any issue using a penny or nickle,works everytime..

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 10 of 12 (6,599 Views)
0 Likes