MVP Support
11160 posts

Re: PS4 won't read PS3 disc, but what about digital games

May 16, 2013

fede01_8 wrote:
@BBurgSteve that's stupid. So when you sell an old cellphone you think of the money you're losing? No. The thing is old and used, you already squeezed everything out of it, you want a new and improved device. You don't really expect to get the same money for your old one as you paid when it was brand new.
Maybe some people like to keep and hoard old cell phones... what do I know...

Cellphones and Game Consoles are two completely different things.  

A cellphone only has a useful life of about 2-3 years, before the technology in it is obsolete.  Do you see anyone still advertising 2G mobile technology?  Why not?  It was the standard mobile technology 3-4 years ago...  typically, when you are done with a Cellphone, you either throw it away, or you give it to charity or something.  There is no real second-hand market for old cell phones.  Yeah, Verizon and AT&T sell 'refurbished' phones, but those are simply phones that the original buyer found to be faulty and returned to the store for an exchange.  They are still-current models of cellphones.

A game console is intended to be used for 10 years or more.  Some people decide to upgrade to a more recent model, selling their still-perfectly good and relevant Fat PS3 for a Slim or a SuperSlim.  They put their old PS3 up on Ebay (which they originally bought for about $700), and generally get about $230-250 for it.  They then turn around and buy a Slim PS3 for $30.  If it fails to sell on Ebay, they take it to Gamestop to trade it in directly toward the newer model, and they get about $90 for it.  Second-hand game & console sales is the primary reason places like Gamestop and DIsc Replay exist.

A PS3 that was originally bought in 2006 plays the exact same games as one bought in 2013.  There is nothing 'old' about a 60GB PS3, except through perception.

Message 21 of 31 (186 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
37763 posts

May 16, 2013

Jdurg wrote:

HiTmAN_90 wrote:

Jdurg wrote:
Just to nit-pick, the PS4 will be able to "read" the PS3 discs. It just won't have any clue what to do with it.

I can "read" Greek and know that what I'm reading is Greek, but it doesn't mean I can understand a single character of it. Smiley Tongue

i disagree that makes no sense at all

Just in case others are reading this I will explain it to you.

The PS4 will run on an x86-64 processor architecture.  This is the "language" that everything which runs on the PS4 must be written in.  We'll call this language "English".  The PS4 only understands English.  It doesn't understand other languages.

The PS3 runs on the Cell processor architecture.  This is the language that everything running on the PS3 must be written in.  We'll call this language "Greek". 

Both systems use a Blu-Ray player.  The Blu-Ray player is akin to our brain and our eyes.  It is able to "see" the disc and recognize what is on it.  We'll call the disc "a piece of paper".  You can write English or Greek on that piece of paper (the Blu-Ray disc) and anybody with eyes and a brain (the drive in the PS3/PS4) will be able to see that there is text on there.

The thing is, the PS4 is only able to understand "English".  It doesn't understand "Greek".  So when you put in a disc with the PS3 code on there (a piece of paper with Greek written on it), the system will see that it's written in Greek but it doesn't understand it.  If I put a piece of paper in front of you with text written on it in a language you don't understand, will you be able to see that it's not a language you know?  Yes, you will.  You just won't be able to understand it.

That is what I'm getting at by my "nit-picking".  The PS4 will be able to read (e.g. see the code of the PS3 software) but it won't be able to understand it and do anything with it.

you really went into detail about that whats the point if we wont be able to play the game? there is no benefit of that whatsoever so whats the point of all this greek stuff?

Message 22 of 31 (179 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

May 16, 2013
The point is so that people will actually take the time to understand the WHY behind the decision and not just stamp there feet on the ground and cry about it.

Learning stuff makes people better. If you don't want to take the time to learn about WHY something is the way it is and just want to stomp your feet like a toddler having a temper tantrum, then fine. You have every right to do that.

Look, there have been many times in life where I've done the same thing. Just ranted about why something wasn't possible without taking the time to investigate the WHY behind it. I then took the time to look into it and while the answer may not have been what I wanted to hear, at least I knew the reasoning behind it. I don't have to like it, but I do have the responsibility as a mature human being to make an attempt to understand it.

Stress levels have dropped considerably after doing just a little bit of research and learning something i didn't know before. It's just part of growing up.
Message 23 of 31 (177 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
37763 posts

May 16, 2013

I understand but i want backwards copatibilty whats so difficult to understand that? they can send rockts to space and do heart surgery surely they can pull off backwards capatibilty.

sony has been disappointing fans for years now. its no suprise all they want is to scrub off money off gamers. who cares about the greek language anyway?

Message 24 of 31 (176 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
54 posts

May 16, 2013
Wow have 5 ps3 discs and ps4 can't read them... Just greate...
Message 25 of 31 (171 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
37763 posts

May 16, 2013

BBurgSteve wrote:

HiTmAN_90 wrote:

So if i want to play my ps3 games i have to use my ps3? and then if i want to play my ps4 games i have to switch consoles? how stupid is that? why would i want so many consoles plus my tv only has 1 hdmi slot everytime i want to switch i will have to go to my tv and play with the cables??

STUPID

$10 to add an extra HDMI port to your TV.

Easy peasy.

It's not like trading in your PS3 is going to do you much good.  You'll be lucky to get $75-80 for it once the PS4 launches.

ohh great so on top of the $900 the ps4 will probably cost i will have to spend an extra 10$ for a stupid HDMI port?

i never said i want to trade in my ps3 things dont last forever you know

Message 26 of 31 (167 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
514 posts

May 16, 2013
To me, it's all a scam to sell us PS3 games all over again as "ps3 Classics" like they do now with PS2 games
Message 27 of 31 (160 Views)
Big Daddy
16918 posts

May 17, 2013

HiTmAN_90 wrote:

I understand but i want backwards copatibilty whats so difficult to understand that? they can send rockts to space and do heart surgery surely they can pull off backwards capatibilty.

sony has been disappointing fans for years now. its no suprise all they want is to scrub off money off gamers. who cares about the greek language anyway?

Think about it this way....

You're a politician who only speaks English. You have to talk with an ambassador of Finland who only speaks, Finnish. 
You're both in a nice luxurious room.... with NO translators..... How do you convey to one another how to delegate certain tasks in your policy to stimulate the local economy?

Or if you're a mathmetician genius.... try explaining quantum physics to a 5 year old, who can barely count to 50

Furiously Chaosing
Message 28 of 31 (145 Views)
Sackboy
455 posts

Oct 11, 2013

Hi, since we're near the PS4 launch date, any update on this?  So only a few PS3 disc based games are playable in PS4?  Is it the same thing with the digital games?  Are they all playable in PS4 on launch date?

Message 29 of 31 (67 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
6108 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 11, 2013

Edtorious wrote:

Hi, since we're near the PS4 launch date, any update on this?  So only a few PS3 disc based games are playable in PS4?  Is it the same thing with the digital games?  Are they all playable in PS4 on launch date?

This has been established already,  no disc based or digital PS3 games work on PS4. They are a handful that work for ONLY the upgrade program for the authentication of the disc so you don't sell the game to get the discount. Sell PS3 game for $20 - $40, but buy new PS4 game for $10 sounds like a bad business model, making you keep the old pose disc to authenticate the PS4 version sounds smart.

Gaikai will be your answer for backwards compatibility, Shuhei said they will look into trying to do something for those who bought their games digitally on PS4 but said he couldn't promise anything at the time he was asked.

Message 30 of 31 (60 Views)
0 Likes