First Son
30 posts

Re: PS4 won't read PS3 disc, but what about digital games

May 13, 2013

I agree, having to accumulate all these different Sony systems to play previous and new gen games is kinda lame.  Anways, to answer your question, Sony might allow people to transfer their digital downloads to their streaming service called Gaikai. There is not enough information about it yet.

Message 11 of 31 (555 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6987 posts

[ Edited ]
May 16, 2013

fede01_8 wrote:

This is something that really worries me because i mainly buy digital games. The majority of my games are downloads except for the ones that are not in the PSN Store.

What's the point of keep buying digital if they are gonna become useless? At least i'm still gonna be able to sell my disc as used games!

And don't suggest me to keep my PS3. Not everyone has money to throw away. My plan was selling my PS3 and games to pay the least possible on the new PS4. Besides it would not make sense for me to keep something to gather dust on a shell and play an old game once a month or so

We have to  see how sony explains  and does with the  gaikai  thing which they bought, which is online gaming streaming company.. E3 should give some insight ont hat also later down  the line  in the year .. SO   just sit  tight  with a  hopefull and open mind,  and wish for best in that area of concern

Mcbuttz78

vp-psn legioniaree group.

Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past, Wisdom is of the future

Message 12 of 31 (549 Views)
Uncharted Territory
2032 posts

May 14, 2013
PS4 can NOT play PS3 physical OR digital games. it can only emulate them through gaikai (whenever sony announces that service).
Message 13 of 31 (539 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

May 14, 2013
Just as an addendum to this, if you are buying games digitally, you should know that you cannot "re-sell' those games. It's buy once, and that's it. So if you were to trade in your PS3, you will get ZERO credit for the downloaded games you have bought.

If you sell your PS3 to someone and let them use the games you've downloaded, you will need to give them your e-mail address and password that you used to create your PSN Account, and thus give them 100% full access to your PSN Account. That would be stupidity to the ultimate degree, and is against the TOS of the PSN that you already agreed to when you signed up. Sony can, and WILL, perma-ban your PSN account if you do that.
Message 14 of 31 (512 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8191 posts

May 14, 2013
Message 15 of 31 (508 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
37305 posts

May 16, 2013

So if i want to play my ps3 games i have to use my ps3? and then if i want to play my ps4 games i have to switch consoles? how stupid is that? why would i want so many consoles plus my tv only has 1 hdmi slot everytime i want to switch i will have to go to my tv and play with the cables??

STUPID

Message 16 of 31 (484 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

May 16, 2013
Just to nit-pick, the PS4 will be able to "read" the PS3 discs. It just won't have any clue what to do with it.

I can "read" Greek and know that what I'm reading is Greek, but it doesn't mean I can understand a single character of it. Smiley Tongue
Message 17 of 31 (474 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
37305 posts

May 16, 2013

Jdurg wrote:
Just to nit-pick, the PS4 will be able to "read" the PS3 discs. It just won't have any clue what to do with it.

I can "read" Greek and know that what I'm reading is Greek, but it doesn't mean I can understand a single character of it. Smiley Tongue

i disagree that makes no sense at all

Message 18 of 31 (473 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

May 16, 2013

HiTmAN_90 wrote:

Jdurg wrote:

i disagree that makes no sense at all

Just in case others are reading this I will explain it to you.

The PS4 will run on an x86-64 processor architecture.  This is the "language" that everything which runs on the PS4 must be written in.  We'll call this language "English".  The PS4 only understands English.  It doesn't understand other languages.

The PS3 runs on the Cell processor architecture.  This is the language that everything running on the PS3 must be written in.  We'll call this language "Greek". 

Both systems use a Blu-Ray player.  The Blu-Ray player is akin to our brain and our eyes.  It is able to "see" the disc and recognize what is on it.  We'll call the disc "a piece of paper".  You can write English or Greek on that piece of paper (the Blu-Ray disc) and anybody with eyes and a brain (the drive in the PS3/PS4) will be able to see that there is text on there.

The thing is, the PS4 is only able to understand "English".  It doesn't understand "Greek".  So when you put in a disc with the PS3 code on there (a piece of paper with Greek written on it), the system will see that it's written in Greek but it doesn't understand it.  If I put a piece of paper in front of you with text written on it in a language you don't understand, will you be able to see that it's not a language you know?  Yes, you will.  You just won't be able to understand it.

That is what I'm getting at by my "nit-picking".  The PS4 will be able to read (e.g. see the code of the PS3 software) but it won't be able to understand it and do anything with it.

Message 19 of 31 (467 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11016 posts

May 16, 2013

HiTmAN_90 wrote:

So if i want to play my ps3 games i have to use my ps3? and then if i want to play my ps4 games i have to switch consoles? how stupid is that? why would i want so many consoles plus my tv only has 1 hdmi slot everytime i want to switch i will have to go to my tv and play with the cables??

STUPID

$10 to add an extra HDMI port to your TV.

Easy peasy.

It's not like trading in your PS3 is going to do you much good.  You'll be lucky to get $75-80 for it once the PS4 launches.

Message 20 of 31 (465 Views)
0 Likes