May 13 2013
By: fede01_8 Sackboy 514 posts

PS4 won't read PS3 disc, but what about digital games

30 replies 1495 views Edited May 13, 2013

This is something that really worries me because i mainly buy digital games. The majority of my games are downloads except for the ones that are not in the PSN Store.

What's the point of keep buying digital if they are gonna become useless? At least i'm still gonna be able to sell my disc as used games!

And don't suggest me to keep my PS3. Not everyone has money to throw away. My plan was selling my PS3 and games to pay the least possible on the new PS4. Besides it would not make sense for me to keep something to gather dust on a shell and play an old game once a month or so

Message 1 of 31 (1,495 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
4404 posts

Re: PS4 won't read PS3 disc, but what about digital games

May 13, 2013

fede01_8 wrote:

This is something that really worries me because i mainly buy digital games. The majority of my games are downloads except for the ones that are not in the PSN Store.

What's the point of keep buying digital if they are gonna become useless? At least i'm still gonna be able to sell my disc as used games!

And don't suggest me to keep my PS3. Not everyone has money to throw away. My plan was selling my PS3 and games to pay the least possible on the new PS4. Besides it would not make sense for me to keep something to gather dust on a shell and play an old game once a month or so

Nobody knows the answer you are looking for.

But, I honestly doubt it. Sony has already said that the PS4 is meant to join the PS3 -- Not replace it. (at least, any time soon.)

So, it's not the answer you want, but KEEP YOUR PS3. Don't fall into the GameStop trap.

In the end, you're just spending more money on the PS4 by selling your PS3 for change, compared to saving up and buying a PS4 without having to give up anything.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 2 of 31 (1,486 Views)
MVP Support
13577 posts

May 13, 2013

fede01_8 wrote:

1. If you don't have a lot of money, why are you buying digital games? The PS Store typically has higher prices than retailers, and, as you pointed out, you can't sell them back for credit.

2. If you're only going to be playing old games "once a month or so", then what's the problem? Here you are trying to say it's not worth it to keep the PS3 just to pull it out once a month, when you sound so passionate about trying to play these old games on a new system. Kinda contradictory.

3. Even if you sell the PS3, you won't get your money's worth unless you privately sell it to a friend or something. Just find a job or something (if you're not old enough to get a job, find some random odd jobs like cutting lawns or something)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 3 of 31 (1,484 Views)
Sackboy
514 posts

[ Edited ]
May 13, 2013

glaciusx25 wrote:

fede01_8 wrote:

1. If you don't have a lot of money, why are you buying digital games? The PS Store typically has higher prices than retailers, and, as you pointed out, you can't sell them back for credit.

2. If you're only going to be playing old games "once a month or so", then what's the problem? Here you are trying to say it's not worth it to keep the PS3 just to pull it out once a month, when you sound so passionate about trying to play these old games on a new system. Kinda contradictory.

3. Even if you sell the PS3, you won't get your money's worth unless you privately sell it to a friend or something. Just find a job or something (if you're not old enough to get a job, find some random odd jobs like cutting lawns or something)

1: i'm from a country in SouthAmerica, new games here are U$D100, i'm not exaggerating. Since there aren't any factories that make them, stores have to import them. And besides our peso is basically worthless next to dollar. Not every Playstation user is from a first world country, you know...

2: what's the problem if I play games (that i played at least twice) once  a month? What if iTunes decides that your mp3 are gonna be obsolete for the next iPod/iPhone? what does it matter if you don't play that album or song every week?

3: You mean i wont get someone to pay me full price? you don't say...

I have a job, but there other expenses, you know. I have the money to buy a PS4. I don't wanna repay for the many games i already bought, do you get my point?

Message 4 of 31 (1,472 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13577 posts

May 13, 2013

fede01_8 wrote:

glaciusx25 wrote:

fede01_8 wrote:

1: i'm from a country in SouthAmerica, new games here are U$D100, i'm not exaggerating. Since there aren't any factories that make them, stores have to import them. And besides our peso is basically worthless next to dollar. Not every Playstation user is from a first world country, you know...

2: what's the problem if a play games that i played at least twice once or twice a month? What if iTunes decides that your mp3 are gonna be obsolete for the next iPod/iPhone? what does it matter if you don't play that album or song every week?

3: You mean i wont get someone to pay me full price? you don't say...

I have a job, but there other expenses, you know. I have the money to buy a PS4. I don't wanna repay for the many games i already bought, do you get my point?!

1. If new games are that expensive, then how are you going to afford PS4? They'll have to import that too.

2. I'm saying that your excuse as to why you don't want to keep your PS3, is contradictory to the reason you want the PS4 to play the games.

3. Again, as the other user said, keep your PS3. If you can't afford to re-buy games, then you can afford to not sell the PS3 and just "keep" your old games that way.

And I don't mean full price. I mean getting an actual value out of it (instead of "trading in and getting 50% what you should really be getting")

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 5 of 31 (1,467 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
36964 posts

May 13, 2013

This is rediculous why cant they implement backwards capatibility?! i really hope all my digital games will be able to be downloaded on the ps4 it only makes sense

Message 6 of 31 (1,461 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
10908 posts

May 13, 2013

HiTmAN_90 wrote:

This is rediculous why cant they implement backwards capatibility?! i really hope all my digital games will be able to be downloaded on the ps4 it only makes sense

Not to keep beating the poor defenseless dead horse, but the PS4 will not be able to play PS3 games, because it will not have the PS3 hardware in it.  If it did, the cost of the PS4 would be around $1,200.  I don't think anyone would pay that for a game console.

If you want to keep playing PS3 games, keep your PS3.  As has been stated...

Let's just assume the PS4 is going to cost $450.  You have a PS3 that you feel you won't get enough use out of, so you decide to trade it in toward the PS4.  Since your PS3 games won't run on the PS4, you trade those in as well.  Let's say you have 10 PS3 games.

Here's the 'Gamestop Math':  PS4 purchase: $450 minus PS3 Trade in value: $90 minus 10 games traded in: $90 = PS4 "Final cost": $270

Here's the 'Real World Math': PS4 purchase: $450 minus PS3 Trade in value: $90 minus 10 games traded in: $90 (PLUS) PS3 net loss: $210 (PLUS) Games net loss: $510 = PS4 Final Cost: $990.

Message 7 of 31 (1,447 Views)
Sackboy
514 posts

May 13, 2013
@BBurgSteve that's stupid. So when you sell an old cellphone you think of the money you're losing? No. The thing is old and used, you already squeezed everything out of it, you want a new and improved device. You don't really expect to get the same money for your old one as you paid when it was brand new.
Maybe some people like to keep and hoard old cell phones... what do I know...
Message 8 of 31 (1,424 Views)
Big Daddy
16939 posts

May 13, 2013

HiTmAN_90 wrote:

Because the entire architecture of the PS3's Power PC architecture is COMPLETELY different with the PS4's more common PC style x86 64bit architecture.

trying to make two different instruction sets co-exist with one another is EXTREMELY difficult, nigh impossible.

same with emulation. 

Even the most BA $4000 PC cannot run an emulation program good enough to run a PS3 game because the entire power of the GPU and CPU has to depend on software to create the emulation instruction set, which is SLOW.

Pair that with how difficult it is for developers to program a game on PS3, even just PORTING a game over from another platform is difficult.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 9 of 31 (1,418 Views)
Welcoming Committee
4404 posts

May 13, 2013

fede01_8 wrote:
@BBurgSteve that's stupid. So when you sell an old cellphone you think of the money you're losing? No. The thing is old and used, you already squeezed everything out of it, you want a new and improved device. You don't really expect to get the same money for your old one as you paid when it was brand new.
Maybe some people like to keep and hoard old cell phones... what do I know...

Anything you sell for less than you bought it, is a lose. Even if you "squeezed everything out of it."

But, we're talking about people selling their PS3's in order to buy a PS4.

And the PS3 still has plenty of life in it, even after the PS4 is released.

If people are not willing to keep their PS3's, that is their decision.

But, the PS4 will have no backwards compatibility.

DWI

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 10 of 31 (1,415 Views)
0 Likes