I Only Post Everything
926 posts

Re: PS4 won't play PS3 games?

Jul 11, 2013

Punfisher wrote:

I was just thinking about PC gamers.  They're not losing sleep because their new 2013 PC plays their games from 20 years ago, but for some reason many of you are ready to get your underpants in a twist if your new PS4 somehow becomes backwards compatible.  I'm starting to think it's a mental dissorder.

Like I said before I once had a PS3 and 360, I don't have the luxury of someday owning 20 different video game consoles and have them filling up my wall on an entertainment center.  My wife does not like video games and in order to keep the peace in my house I had to downsize.  I sold one and kept the better of the two.  20 years from now I can't have a PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PS5, PS6, PS7, and PS8 all stacked on top of each other.  That's just stupid and it is not normal for you guys to support that.  It's all marketing and nothing to do with technology.

Computers today are completely different technology than those from years ago and yet they can still play PC games from 20 years ago. 

Anybody who wants their console to have fewer features is a nut.

Let's try this again.

1:  PCs run the same physical architectures that they did nearly 30 years ago.  The standard x86 architecture.  Hence why you are able to play older games.  Just go do a Google Search to learn about CPU Architecture and Programming Languages/Code to understand it better.

2:  If you are afraid to make a purchase in the fear that it will one day be made obsolete, then you should never purchase anything ever again.  That new car you want to buy?  Better accessories or parts might become available in the future that won't work with your car, so don't buy one.  A new TV?  Nope.  There might be different features that are available on new TVs in the future that your current TV won't be able to use.  So don't buy one.  New clothes?  Uh-oh.  They might wear out or go out of style, or they might not fit you as well in the future.  You better not buy them.  More food?  Nope.  It could go bad.  If you are worried about things becoming obsolete, then you shouldn't purchase anything.

3:  Just because something is on a blu-ray disc doesn't mean it will work on anything with a blu-ray player.  Go put one of your PS3 discs in the blu-ray drive on your PC and try and play it.  Tell me what happens.  As stated earlier, a blu-ray movie is simply a bunch of video/audio files compressed in a certain format STORED on the blu-ray disc.  It is not executable code.  If something that can play one optical format should be able to play everything on that same optical format, then explain to me why I can't take an XBOX360 disc (A DVD) and play it on a PS2 (Which reads DVD Discs).  Please explain it.  I can't understand why you are having trouble grasping the concept that a blu-ray disc is just a format for carrying files.  That is all.  A blu-ray disc is simply akin to a piece of paper.  Sure, you can write any language in the world on that piece of paper, but if the person holding that piece of paper can't read the language written on there, they won't be able to comprehend the text.

4:  Explain to me why you believe everybody who is providing you with an explanation about WHY the PS4 is not B/C with PS3 discs is "paid by Sony" or a member of the "Sony PR Group."  Please provide me with factual evidence that can be backed up with validated references.  Also, like you, I was a bit irked that the PS4 wasn't going to be compatible with the PS3 games, but unlike you I took a few minutes of my time to try and understand why this is and what was preventing it from happening.  Try and open up your mind a little more and do some learning about things that you obviously don't know anything about.

Message 71 of 92 (257 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 11, 2013

I agree with what you have said "if there's a will there's a way" but i have heard this along the lines.....

Another huge win for Sony comes in the realm of used games. Where Microsoft is allowing publishers the right to set their own rules with regards to allowing them to be re-sold, Sony is doing no such thing.

Pre-owned games will work on the PS4 just as they do with the PS3 and the PS2. You can lend a game to a friend simply by handing them the disc......

Now im not sure how true this is but it was stated on a few sites about the new PS4..anyone heard the same let me know, but i know for sure my Xbox360 and PS3 arent going anywhere Smiley Wink

Message 72 of 92 (246 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
308 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 17, 2013

Jdurg wrote:

2:  If you are afraid to make a purchase in the fear that it will one day be made obsolete, then you should never purchase anything ever again.  That new car you want to buy?  Better accessories or parts might become available in the future that won't work with your car, so don't buy one. 

I wasn't gonna use the car analogy cause I thought it was a little extreme, but since you brought it up...

The analogy only fits in this light.  You buy a new $30,000 car.  The very next day the government shuts down all the gas stations and announces that America is no longer going to use gasoline.  "We are now switching to renewable engergy sources. Everyone will now have to buy the new electric cars and for those of you who don't want one, that's ok.  You can still drive your gasoline powered car all you want to.  You just won't be able to get more gas when your tank runs empty." 

With your analogy, when I buy a car I know it's good for 20 years maybe more and it's a necessity.  An average PS3 is good for 2-3 years.  YLOD anyone?  I'm on my 3rd in 7 years.  Millions of others have had the same problems.  When my PS3 breaks down and I can't buy a new one anymore, I'll be more than happy to buy the new PS4....Oh, wait.  I won't be able to play the 30+ games setting on my shelf. 

Jdurg wrote: 

Also, like you, I was a bit irked that the PS4 wasn't going to be compatible with the PS3 games, but unlike you I took a few minutes of my time to try and understand why this is and what was preventing it from happening.  Try and open up your mind a little more and do some learning about things that you obviously don't know anything about.

They were giving all the same excuses when bluray came out.  "DVD compatibility was impossible, there's no way it can happen, this is new technology we're dealing with, we don't have the capability to make it happen."  A judge ordered them to do it and it happened.

When the PS3 came out we heard all the same excuses we're hearing today.  They had all the evidence showing how the PS3 could never play a PS2 game.  "It's new technology", they said.  "It's impossible, it can never happen."  That's all we heard and guys just like you demonized anybody who wanted backwards compatibility.  But lo and behold the backlash was so great, Sony took what they said couldn't be done and did it.

We've heard it all before.  They always say with this new technology that it can't be done.  I don't buy it.  They have the power to do whatever they want to.  They can't sell their new Geikei service if backwards compatibility exists. That should tell you everything you need to know.  Oh, all the games won't even be on there, only some of them.  So I'll be paying even more money to play the games I've already paid in full for, if they're even on there.

Don't know about any of you guys, but I've been around since the beginning.  It's the same song and dance every time.  They say it can't be done, you guys attack me for wanting it, they end up doing it.  Every time a new console comes out you guys fight to the death to keep the new console from playing the older games.  I don't know why all the vitriol, I think it's a mental disorder, but you guys lose every time.  You'll all finally get your way this time I'm sure.  You can finally take a deep breath and hang up your hat.  You can all finally sleep at night knowing your new console won't be backwards compatible. 

@ femaledragon27, yes the PS4 will play used and rented games.

Get your Portable ID!
The gap between PS3 and everything before is so huge that backwards compatibility is more important now than ever. PS3 games should be preserved.
Message 73 of 92 (211 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
6002 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 17, 2013

@Punfisher Just keep your PS3 like the rest of us. Is that notion as hard as your head or something...

The PS4 isn't your cup of tea, fine, DON'T BUY IT.

I don't like Xbox One and the company who bore that child, guess what,

I'm not buying it, no one is forcing me to do so, I'm not entitled to get one anyhow. Ilk simply buy the PS4 instead.

If backwards compatibility is an issue on PS4, go get the Xbox One instead - it doesn't have any sort of backwards compatibility at all. Not hardware wise, not software emulation wise, not streaming as well (which the PS4 will have).

Your definition of backwards compatibility is flawed BTW. Lots of Nintendo fans who use the virtual console store would disagree with you. The Wiiu can play classics like NES, SNES, N64, And soon GameCube games without the cartridge or disc whatsoever and people are fine with that. Look up backwards compatibility, you'll be surprised what that really means differs from your entitled mind thinks it means.

Message 74 of 92 (195 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
5187 posts

Jul 17, 2013

Punfisher wrote:

Jdurg wrote:

2:  If you are afraid to make a purchase in the fear that it will one day be made obsolete, then you should never purchase anything ever again.  That new car you want to buy?  Better accessories or parts might become available in the future that won't work with your car, so don't buy one. 

I wasn't gonna use the car analogy cause I thought it was a little extreme, but since you brought it up...

The analogy only fits in this light.  You buy a new $30,000 car.  The very next day the government shuts down all the gas stations and announces that America is no longer going to use gasoline.  "We are now switching to renewable engergy sources. Everyone will now have to buy the new electric cars and for those of you who don't want one, that's ok.  You can still drive your gasoline powered car all you want to.  You just won't be able to get more gas when your tank runs empty." 

With your analogy, when I buy a car I know it's good for 20 years maybe more and it's a necessity.  An average PS3 is good for 2-3 years.  YLOD anyone?  I'm on my 3rd in 7 years.  Millions of others have had the same problems.  When my PS3 breaks down and I can't buy a new one anymore, I'll be more than happy to buy the new PS4....Oh, wait.  I won't be able to play the 30+ games setting on my shelf. 

Jdurg wrote: 

Also, like you, I was a bit irked that the PS4 wasn't going to be compatible with the PS3 games, but unlike you I took a few minutes of my time to try and understand why this is and what was preventing it from happening.  Try and open up your mind a little more and do some learning about things that you obviously don't know anything about.

They were giving all the same excuses when bluray came out.  "DVD compatibility was impossible, there's no way it can happen, this is new technology we're dealing with, we don't have the capability to make it happen."  A judge ordered them to do it and it happened. Noone ever said that.

When the PS3 came out we heard all the same excuses we're hearing today.  They had all the evidence showing how the PS3 could never play a PS2 game.  "It's new technology", they said.  "It's impossible, it can never happen." Sony never said this. That's all we heard and guys just like you demonized anybody who wanted backwards compatibility.  But lo and behold the backlash was so great, Sony took what they said couldn't be done and did it.

We've heard it all before.  They always say with this new technology that it can't be done.  I don't buy it.  They have the power to do whatever they want to.  They can't sell their new Geikei service if backwards compatibility exists. Yes they could. A lot of people would rather subrcibe to a service for games, than go out and try to find older games. That should tell you everything you need to know.  Oh, all the games won't even be on there, only some of them. Says who? There's not a lot of info released yet. So I'll be paying even more money to play the games I've already paid in full for, if they're even on there.

Don't know about any of you guys, but I've been around since the beginning.  It's the same song and dance every time.  They say it can't be done, you guys attack me for wanting it, they end up doing it.  Every time a new console comes out you guys fight to the death to keep the new console from playing the older games.  I don't know why all the vitriol, I think it's a mental disorder, but you guys lose every time.  You'll all finally get your way this time I'm sure.  You can finally take a deep breath and hang up your hat.  You can all finally sleep at night knowing your new console won't be backwards compatible. 

@ femaledragon27, yes the PS4 will play used and rented games.

Records, 8-tracks, cassettes, and cd's can NOT be played on my MP3 player. I had to buy the albums all over again, and rip my cd's. Should we boycott the music industry??

Consumer Services and Technical Support 1-800-345-7669
Mon - Fri, 8:00AM - 8:00PM PST

Live Chat
I don't work for Sony. Just a gamer helping others.
Message 75 of 92 (187 Views)
Fender Bender
3098 posts

Jul 17, 2013

Punfisher wrote:

An average PS3 is good for 2-3 years.  YLOD anyone?  I'm on my 3rd in 7 years. 

Good grief.  Not sure whats giving you so much trouble with your PS3s.  But most everyone I know and that I game with (on my PS3 Friend's List) is still on their first PS3 - most of us have a Launch PS3.

Message 76 of 92 (186 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5477 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 17, 2013

oooaznkid wrote:

Punfisher wrote:

Good grief.  Not sure whats giving you so much trouble with your PS3s.  But most everyone I know and that I game with (on my PS3 Friend's List) is still on their first PS3 - most of us have a Launch PS3.

Maybe they all overheat because he's so angry about video games never being backwards compatiable.

NES, SNES, Sega, master system, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, & N64... If you've been gaming "since the beginning", one should be used to a lack of B/C, not the other way around.  That argument is flimsy, and take that from a guy who had a Coleco Vision at launch (which could play Atari 2600 games with an adaptor, but, that's same gen).  And don't get me started on the Atari 5200...

Grindhead_Jim

Message 77 of 92 (175 Views)
MVP Support
13577 posts

Jul 17, 2013

oooaznkid wrote:

Punfisher wrote:

Yeah. I don't have a launch PS3, but I've had mine since 2008. Had 0 problems.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 78 of 92 (168 Views)
Sackboy
464 posts

Jul 17, 2013

As I have said a few times on these forums before, my brother and my room mate both have launch PS3's and they both work fine today. Even though I have the newest PS3 (I bought it in Feb it's the slim white top loading 500 gig one) I still turn on my room mates PS3 every so often to play some games he has downloaded on it. I am sure he would sign in with his account on my PS3 if I asked him, but no need to the game room is right next to the living room (game room has his PS3, living room has mine), just a couple of feet more to play certain games. If I was lazy like most BC complainers, it'd be a different story! LOL!

photo giphydgd.gif
"Hey look a PS4 for sale! Quick someone get it before it's sold!!"
Message 79 of 92 (163 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jul 18, 2013

What’s wrong with it being backwards compatible, at least to the PS3? 

Message 80 of 92 (139 Views)