Lombax Warrior
123 posts

Re: PS4 won't play PS3 games?

Jun 22, 2013

TheFunkyRapper wrote:
I'm playing mgs on ps1 right now

The true way to play it

----------------------------------------------------------
Joshua Mobley: Internet Media Guy / Comic Book Writer / Podcast & Show Host / Founder of VGU.TV & Rocket Man Publishing LLC

Tumblr Blog: "Josh Likes Games." | Twitter
Message 61 of 92 (217 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
21 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 22, 2013

first of all ps4 is backwards compatible with ps3 not ps2 or ps1; you can't use disc but they've said by 2014 they'll be a emulator service which will allow you to play ps3 games off psn

Cloud Gaikai

Message 62 of 92 (216 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
464 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 22, 2013

MysticPat wrote:

first of all ps4 is backwards compatible with ps3 not ps2 or ps1; you can't use disc but they've said by 2014 they'll be a emulator service which will allow you to play ps3 games off psn

Cloud Gaikai

To the majority of gamers backwards compatible means being able to play your previous consoles DISCS on the new consoles not just a download of an emulated game. If that were true every console that allows emulation of their older games is backwards compatible.  Also I don't think every PS3 game is on the PSN Store. I am pretty sure, but won't deny I could be wrong, that some pS3 games are not downloadable from the store and only on disc.

photo giphydgd.gif
"Hey look a PS4 for sale! Quick someone get it before it's sold!!"
Message 63 of 92 (202 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Jun 22, 2013

Well My understanding is that the PS3 was coded in a very complicated way that made it harder for Developers to wright games for the PS3 compared to lets say the xbox ... From what I am hearing they re coded the whole PS4 operating system as such to make it easier for developers to create their games .. 

Well seeing how it had to be coded different it is understandable why a PS3 game will not work in a PS4 ... 

Doesn't run the same code ... 

To say well it runs BlueRay but not a ps3 game built on a blueray ... 

well think of it this way ... You can also Burn filed on to lets say a DVD with a DVD R... 

if you are using a MAC and you burn a file to a DVD that is coded for a MAC ... A  PC will not be able to read it 

but it will still play DVD movies but that file was also stored on a DVD ... 

My point is that it is all about the program system they build and the code it takes to run and operate that system ... 

if it is not running the same code then it is not going to read it ... As simple as that .. 

Message 64 of 92 (195 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
308 posts

Jul 7, 2013

Induced_Horizon wrote:

My point is that it is all about the program system they build and the code it takes to run and operate that system ... 

if it is not running the same code then it is not going to read it ... As simple as that .. 

My point is that consumers must have confidence in a company if that company is to be successful.  It's basic business.  If I'm going to invest serious money and buy all the great games for the PS4, I have to believe that I can always play them.  What's going to happen is, since the PS4 won't play my PS3 games, then the PS5 will come out in a few years and won't play my PS4 games.  There's no point in buying my games.  It's more practical to rent the games than it is to purchase and own them. 

"Next-Gen" consoles don't have much of a lifespan.  I've owned 'em all and I know from my experience as well as millions of other's experiences that they don't last as long as the older gaming consoles.

The PS3 will break down in no time flat.  You can't buy a new one and you can't send it in to get fixed.  You will not be playing your PS3 games 5 years from now. 

Sure, they will have Geikei or whatever it's called and only some games will be available for streaming.  It will be a premium service that we will have to pay for and I don't want to have to keep paying to play the games I've already paid for. 

I was hoping to have a serious discussion with real people out there.  Unfortunately, between the Sony PR guys and kids that never had to pay for their own games before, this thread never stood a chance.

Get your Portable ID!
The gap between PS3 and everything before is so huge that backwards compatibility is more important now than ever. PS3 games should be preserved.
Message 65 of 92 (163 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
308 posts

Jul 11, 2013

I was just thinking about PC gamers.  They're not losing sleep because their new 2013 PC plays their games from 20 years ago, but for some reason many of you are ready to get your underpants in a twist if your new PS4 somehow becomes backwards compatible.  I'm starting to think it's a mental dissorder.

Like I said before I once had a PS3 and 360, I don't have the luxury of someday owning 20 different video game consoles and have them filling up my wall on an entertainment center.  My wife does not like video games and in order to keep the peace in my house I had to downsize.  I sold one and kept the better of the two.  20 years from now I can't have a PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PS5, PS6, PS7, and PS8 all stacked on top of each other.  That's just stupid and it is not normal for you guys to support that.  It's all marketing and nothing to do with technology.

Computers today are completely different technology than those from years ago and yet they can still play PC games from 20 years ago. 

Anybody who wants their console to have fewer features is a nut.

Get your Portable ID!
The gap between PS3 and everything before is so huge that backwards compatibility is more important now than ever. PS3 games should be preserved.
Message 66 of 92 (150 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5476 posts

Jul 11, 2013

Punfisher wrote:
Computers today are completely different technology than those from years ago and yet they can still play PC games from 20 years ago with additional software, and other modifications, depending on the game.  Games closer to 30 years old, such as DOS-based games, require a declocking emulator, like DOSBox, and, even then, are not always easy to get running

Fixed that for you.

Grindhead_Jim

Message 67 of 92 (141 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
464 posts

Jul 11, 2013

Punfisher wrote:

I was just thinking about PC gamers.  They're not losing sleep because their new 2013 PC plays their games from 20 years ago, but for some reason many of you are ready to get your underpants in a twist if your new PS4 somehow becomes backwards compatible.  I'm starting to think it's a mental dissorder.

Like I said before I once had a PS3 and 360, I don't have the luxury of someday owning 20 different video game consoles and have them filling up my wall on an entertainment center.  My wife does not like video games and in order to keep the peace in my house I had to downsize.  I sold one and kept the better of the two.  20 years from now I can't have a PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PS5, PS6, PS7, and PS8 all stacked on top of each other.  That's just stupid and it is not normal for you guys to support that.  It's all marketing and nothing to do with technology.

Computers today are completely different technology than those from years ago and yet they can still play PC games from 20 years ago. 

Yes I agree, it is just stupid. Who would be dumb enough to stack consoles on top of one another. They each should have their own individual shelf space! 

photo giphydgd.gif
"Hey look a PS4 for sale! Quick someone get it before it's sold!!"
Message 68 of 92 (139 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
5979 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 11, 2013

Punfisher wrote:

Cool story bro, question though.

Can you help me find the slot to put my Nes games in my WiiU ?

What about my SNES games, can help me find the slot on my Wii U?

What about my n64 games, can you help me find the slot on my Wii U?

What about my GameCube games, can you help me find the slot in my Wii U?

Well what do you know, you can't, because the Wii u is only backwards compatible with digital copies.

You are like the rest of the small minority thinking you are entitled to backwards compatibility on the PS4 because it's been like that for years, you've been spoiled to death. I and 80 million others didn't give a crap when the PS3 lost PS2 backwards compatibility, we buy new consoles to play new games.

New technology in the PS4 doesn't allow such a thing anyhow and to appease the 5% who want the feature would have cost over 500 million dollars in lost revenue. ($100 for rsx and cell chip for emulation). It would have also brought the console to a price that would have been unreasonably deja vu- costing $499 or even $599. Screw you. Sony has seen the preorders and with millions of PS4 preorders sold out on Amazon, Gamestop and soon Best Buy, no one gives a crap if they can't play PS3 games on it (right now). You sir are part of the small vocal minority group. If you don't buy the PS4 over such a trivial thing, that's on you. Don't think for a second you can sway our minds or Sony's, as you and a few others not buying the PS4 is going to make even a dent on sales. You can deny it but if you think sales will plummet you are sadly mistaken and lost in your own world. 

Sony's Gaikai streaming solution is a cost effective way to get us backwards compatibility for those who want it. Xbox One btw doesn't get any sort of backwards compatibility solution at all, so don't take Sony's solution for granted. Gaikai was an investment to allow streaming of PS3, PS2, PS1 games on the PS3, PS4, Vita, smartphone, tablet, and smart tv - so add long as you have some sort of controller, you can literally game anywhere. So Gaikai is future proof. 

If you're still complaining I can't help you. I own tons of consoles, most are in my closet put away and taken care of well, if I event want to play them years from now, I can. You sir are making awful excuses that make no sense...

Message 69 of 92 (132 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10300 posts

Jul 11, 2013

da1writer wrote:

If you're still complaining I can't help you. I own tons of consoles, most are in my closet put away and taken care of well, if I event want to play them years from now, I can. You sir are making awful excuses that make no sense...

I bet you 70 Shrute bucks he doesnt know the reason why  PC's are able to play games from 20 years ago and why consoles are not able to play old media from older consoles

Message 70 of 92 (113 Views)