Sackboy
464 posts

Re: PS4 won't play PS3 games?

[ Edited ]
Jun 22, 2013

Punfisher wrote:

Jdurg wrote:

No need to respond to him, or to try and teach him anything.  His posts in this thread definitively show that he doesn't understand a great deal about what B/C entails, and he is unwilling to learn.  In addition, he appears to be nothing more than a graphics nut and doesn't have the ability to comprehend how the additional RAM and power in the PS4 will enhance games immense degrees over what the PS3 can offer.

Any attempt to reason with him will end in failure.  I've made the same mistake in trying to teach other people like him on these forums and it has resulted in zilch.  Just allow him to continue posting statements that make him look more and more out of touch with reality, and maybe he'll eventually just leave, or realize how stupid he is making himself look and cease the trolling.

I don't have to understand anything.  Sony has the technology to make it happen.  I want the PS4 to play all Sony Bluray games.  I've had confidence that I could always play my PS3 games and invested $5000 into my hobby.  Had I known then that I soon would no longer be able to play my games anymore I would not have bought and owned a single game.  I would have gone with an online rental membership. 

Suppose I do buy the new PS4.  How can I be expected to buy and own my games anymore if the PS5 will come out in 6-7 years and I can't play them anymore?  I've lost confidence in Sony.  Consumers are better off just renting their games. 

And yes, I won't buy a game unless it looks good so I am a graphics nut and you're obviously on Sony's PR payroll.  If it wasn't for graphics nuts we'd all still be playing pacman and frogger.  We didn't move from Pong to the PS4 just because people wanted a better framerate.

Just keep your PS3 and when PS5 comes out keep your PS4. Until you fully go on to play only the new games, just store your other systems in a closet or someplace and bring them out when you are feeling like playing the older games. Simple. Unless you are too lazy to switch between systems when you feel like playing older games.

photo giphydgd.gif
"Hey look a PS4 for sale! Quick someone get it before it's sold!!"
Message 51 of 92 (176 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
15343 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 22, 2013

Punfisher wrote:

ToXiC_Skiils wrote:
Why buy a new console if all you wanna do is play your old games on it?

I'm on my 2nd PS3 because my first one ceases to exist.  I've had this one for awhile and I'm guessing sometime this year or next it will give out and once again I'll have to buy a new one.  But I can't do that if they don't make them anymore.  At that point I will have to buy the new PS4 and I won't be able play my huge gaming collection anymore.

Before you say Sony will stop making PS3's keep in mind PS2's only ceased production several months ago and are still available.

Imperator Danknovaxperaux Divi filius Imp XIII Pont Max Trib Pot XLIX Cos CXVI Primus Signiferi Box-xy Princeps Moderatores Pater Forum

Fabulous!
Message 52 of 92 (173 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
464 posts

Jun 22, 2013

Punfisher wrote:

ToXiC_Skiils wrote:

I'm on my 2nd PS3 because my first one ceases to exist.  I've had this one for awhile and I'm guessing sometime this year or next it will give out and once again I'll have to buy a new one.  But I can't do that if they don't make them anymore.  At that point I will have to buy the new PS4 and I won't be able play my huge gaming collection anymore.

Well then you are one of the ones who are unlucky. My brother has the very first PS3 (launch model that is bc with PS1 and 2), and it still plays fine today. Granted he does spend more time on his XBOX 360, but he still plays the PS3 and it hasn't YLOD'd on him yet. I just got my PS3 in Feb this year and I can't say anything about it's longevity since it's barely been out of the box but  four months or so.

photo giphydgd.gif
Message 53 of 92 (170 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
5227 posts

Jun 22, 2013

Punfisher wrote:

ToXiC_Skiils wrote:

Sony will repair your system for less then cost of a new console. It's you fault for not contacting them.

Consumer Services and Technical Support 1-800-345-7669
Mon - Fri, 8:00AM - 8:00PM PST

Live Chat
I don't work for Sony. Just a gamer helping others.
Message 54 of 92 (169 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
308 posts

Jun 22, 2013

Many of us have large collections of bluray movies.  Imagine if bluray players came out with new technology that will make your bluray movies look clearer, sharper and uses less power.  The only problem is the new bluray players won't play your existing bluray collection.  You can choose to keep using your existing bluray player, but at some point it will malfunction and you'll be forced to buy the new, technologically advanced bluray player that won't play your current bluray collection.  Supposing you still had confidence in the industry, you'll have to buy all new bluray movies all over again. 

I may be going out on a limb here, but I think under this hypothetcal example that there would be mass hysteria and panic, although many of you would relish the idea of bluray movies not playing in a new bluray player. 

Get your Portable ID!
The gap between PS3 and everything before is so huge that backwards compatibility is more important now than ever. PS3 games should be preserved.
Message 55 of 92 (167 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
833 posts

Jun 22, 2013
I'm playing mgs on ps1 right now
Message 56 of 92 (162 Views)
Sackboy
464 posts

Jun 22, 2013

Punfisher wrote:

Many of us have large collections of bluray movies.  Imagine if bluray players came out with new technology that will make your bluray movies look clearer, sharper and uses less power.  The only problem is the new bluray players won't play your existing bluray collection.  You can choose to keep using your existing bluray player, but at some point it will malfunction and you'll be forced to buy the new, technologically advanced bluray player that won't play your current bluray collection.  Supposing you still had confidence in the industry, you'll have to buy all new bluray movies all over again. 

I may be going out on a limb here, but I think under this hypothetcal example that there would be mass hysteria and panic, although many of you would relish the idea of bluray movies not playing in a new bluray player. 

Look at it this way, it will be years and years after the new technology before you won't be able to buy the older blu ray player. You can still buy brand new VHS players (albeit most are VHS/DVD players and recorders, but still have the VHS). And like someone else said earlier, even new PS2's are still available. Amazon dot com has them for like I think maybe $120 or so, which is not bad at all. The PS3 will still be available several years into PS4's run and probably into PS5's run as well.

photo giphydgd.gif
Message 57 of 92 (160 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
183 posts

Jun 22, 2013

CaptainAlbator wrote:

What is so difficult about keeping your PS3? And when it stops working you'll have Gailkai.

"but... but.. but... but.. what happens when it stops working?". Hey, if I can still find equipment to play vinyl records on, somebody will find a way to play your old games.

I would just like the PSN games to work on Ps4. I have the HotD games and Resident Evil rail shooters and me and my son like playing those with the MOVE. But yeah I'll be keeping my Ps3 for sure.

Message 58 of 92 (149 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13608 posts

Jun 22, 2013

Punfisher wrote:

I don't think people are that passionate about their blu-ray collections.

Especially since services like Netflix are around.

And heck, even if it's illegal, people find online streaming of all their movies anyway on a daily basis.

Also, considering movies and such are purely just readable video files on a specific media format (.MKVs on Blu-ray discs), this is why you can have backwards compatibility with movies and such. It's just reading a movie file. There is no CPU or GPU to render images and the like.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 59 of 92 (127 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
123 posts

Jun 22, 2013

ToXiC_Skiils wrote:

Totally agree. I mean it is nice to be able to go back and play older games on your new console, but at the same time you could just keep your PS3 around. I still have all my old PS consoles.

----------------------------------------------------------
Joshua Mobley: Internet Media Guy / Comic Book Writer / Podcast & Show Host / Founder of VGU.TV & Rocket Man Publishing LLC

Tumblr Blog: "Josh Likes Games." | Twitter
Message 60 of 92 (125 Views)
0 Likes