Hekseville Citizen
308 posts

Re: PS4 won't play PS3 games?

Jun 21, 2013

SC-GRAY_FOX wrote:

The PS4 is so far beyond what the PS3 is. The PS3 ony has 512MB of ram compared to 8GB for the PS4. Thats 16X more memory then the PS3 plus we are talking about GDDR5 Ram. EVERYTHING about the PS4 is better and faster then the PS3. Those of you who think the console has not changed much going from the PS3 to the PS4 are just ignorant of the specs of both systems.

Well then the games should look a lot better and unfortunately I think all these changes are a waist if the game don't look better and they don't.  Of all the titles for the PS4 only a few will look better, right now there aren't many PS4 games that look better than The Last of Us and Beyond (both PS3 games).

It's funny, x64 architecture for Windows can play x32 architecture games.  Sony doesn't WANT backwards compatability, has nothing to do with technology.  The PS3 wasn't going to be backwards compatible, they said it couldn't be done.  Guess what.  They ended up doing it.  I wouldn't have had any problem with it not being backwards compatible since technology at the time went from DVD to Bluray.  But we're not changing media formats here.  It's the same disc!!  i had no problem going from tapes to CD's, or VHS to DVD, or DVD to Bluray.  I do have a problem with investing $5000 into a Bluray game machine only to have to buy a new Bluray game machine and it won't play the Bluray games I've spent all my money on!! 

Imagine you had a collection of 300 Bluray movies.  Bluray players switch technology and the new players won't play those movies.  Sure you can keep watching them on your current Bluray player, but if anything should happen to it you will have to buy a new one and THAT new Bluray player will not play a single Bluray movie in your collection.  It made sense when it was VHS or DVDs.  But Sony switching to a console that only plays SOME Bluray games is nuts. 

Get your Portable ID!
The gap between PS3 and everything before is so huge that backwards compatibility is more important now than ever. PS3 games should be preserved.
Message 31 of 92 (236 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5202 posts

Jun 21, 2013

Punfisher wrote:

SC-GRAY_FOX wrote:

The PS4 is so far beyond what the PS3 is. The PS3 ony has 512MB of ram compared to 8GB for the PS4. Thats 16X more memory then the PS3 plus we are talking about GDDR5 Ram. EVERYTHING about the PS4 is better and faster then the PS3. Those of you who think the console has not changed much going from the PS3 to the PS4 are just ignorant of the specs of both systems.

Well then the games should look a lot better and unfortunately I think all these changes are a waist if the game don't look better and they don't.  Of all the titles for the PS4 only a few will look better, right now there aren't many PS4 games that look better than The Last of Us and Beyond (both PS3 games).

It's funny, x64 architecture for Windows can play x32 architecture games.  Sony doesn't WANT backwards compatability, has nothing to do with technology.  The PS3 wasn't going to be backwards compatible, they said it couldn't be done.  Guess what.  They ended up doing it.  I wouldn't have had any problem with it not being backwards compatible since technology at the time went from DVD to Bluray.  But we're not changing media formats here.  It's the same disc!!  i had no problem going from tapes to CD's, or VHS to DVD, or DVD to Bluray.  I do have a problem with investing $5000 into a Bluray game machine only to have to buy a new Bluray game machine and it won't play the Bluray games I've spent all my money on!! 

Imagine you had a collection of 300 Bluray movies.  Bluray players switch technology and the new players won't play those movies.  Sure you can keep watching them on your current Bluray player, but if anything should happen to it you will have to buy a new one and THAT new Bluray player will not play a single Bluray movie in your collection.  It made sense when it was VHS or DVDs.  But Sony switching to a console that only plays SOME Bluray games is nuts. 

The full names of those architectures are x86-64 and x86-32. They are compatible essentially because they are the same technology. 

If you remember the IBM(PowerPC) to Intel(x86) switch Apple made. Customers were furious that their old programs were rendered useless. This is the same transition Sony is making from IBM's PowerPC to AMD's x86.

Your other arguement that the PS4 is only a partial Blu-ray player is also ridiculous. I'm sorry, but the DVD drive in my PC doesn't mean I can load up a PS2 game and play it. That doesn't mean my DVD drive is a gimp, its just that they are simply different architectures on the CPU and GPU level.

Message 32 of 92 (233 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
308 posts

Jun 21, 2013

LBC_Demon wrote:

The PS3 is ancient. Technology moves so fast. There was no such thing as the iPhone when the PS3 came out. Think about that.

Get over it, this happens every time a new generation comes out. The old games die to make way for new games and new favorites.

How can the PS3 be ancient when it was still the "NEXT GEN" King only two months ago!

Some of the best games the industry has ever seen are coming out for the PS3 - Beyond for example isn't even out yet and it's supposed to die before it even hits the shelves!!??   What are you talking about?  If PS3 games were on an inferior media format maybe I would get over it but PS3 and PS4 games are both on the same disc!!  Maybe you need to get over it.  Stop drinking the cool-aid and realize this mess is just a marketing ploy.  Apparently you don't have thousands invested in anything.

Get your Portable ID!
The gap between PS3 and everything before is so huge that backwards compatibility is more important now than ever. PS3 games should be preserved.
Message 33 of 92 (230 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
92 posts

Jun 21, 2013
If The Last of Us was released on PS4 it would mean better graphics, maybe not by much. But it would ALSO mean 60fps, and 1080p which it's at 30 frames at 720p. Which the 30 frames pains me at times after being on PC for so long.
Message 34 of 92 (229 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
17140 posts

Jun 21, 2013

It's disapointing, but the PS4 is using a totally different architecture than the PS3. Emulation is simply not practical in this situation.

The PS3's Cell Architecture may have been powerful, but it caused them problems. Using a more conventional chip is going to make it easier for developers and make it more likely that the PS5 will be able to emulate PS4 games. It sucks, but keep your PS3. I still have my PS2 and PSOne. (Heck, I still have my NES)

Message 35 of 92 (223 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2547 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 21, 2013

Punfisher wrote:

SC-GRAY_FOX wrote:

Developers have had six or seven years to familiarize themselves with the PS3 to use its max potential. Meanwhile they've had maybe two to work on the PS4. If you want to compare graphics compare the launch PS3 games with the launch PS4 ones. Then imagine what the PS4 games will look like six years down the road.

Just buy backups. That's what people do when they're worried about something breaking. PlayStation also has a ten year support cycle. So the PS3 still has at least three years before they stop manufacture.

photo IMG_0586_zps94omlljp.jpg
Message 36 of 92 (210 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5476 posts

Jun 21, 2013

Jerel wrote:

It's disapointing, but the PS4 is using a totally different architecture than the PS3. Emulation is simply not practical in this situation.

The PS3's Cell Architecture may have been powerful, but it caused them problems. Using a more conventional chip is going to make it easier for developers and make it more likely that the PS5 will be able to emulate PS4 games. It sucks, but keep your PS3. I still have my PS2 and PSOne. (Heck, I still have my NES)

^ This, but i also have an SNES, Genesis, Dreamcast, Atari 2600, and a 360 HD-DVD drive (hooked up to my PC). Smiley Very Happy

Grindhead_Jim

Message 37 of 92 (200 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
5919 posts

Jun 21, 2013

Punfisher..

Are you trolling us our something?

I'm being serious about this for real.

Compatibility has been explained by multiple members here why it isn't happening in disc form.

While both the PS3 and PS4 are using a bluray disc, your logic makes no sense whatsoever.

With this idea of yours, this means Xbox One discs should work on the PS4 as week since that console also uses bluray and same goes for Xbox One -it should be able to play a PS3 and PS4 games. 

The hardware differences between the PS3 and PS4 is massive. The PS4 is using an AMD octocore x86 processor while the PS3 is using a Cell POWERPC processor . Entirely different processors and architectures. Sony thought about including the cell chip inside the PS4 like how a PS2 chip was included to allow backwards compatibility on early PS3 consoles, but it would have brought the cost of the console up by $100-$200. So Sony thought of an alternative, they will be using Gaikai to stream PS3 games. It does mean that there might be fees or it might be rolled into PS+, streaming PS3 games for PS4 (and Vita) was announced to be accessible in 2014 during the e3 conference. 

So to answer your question, backwards compatibility for PS3 games IS COMING to PS4 via Gaikai streaming format. Just not in disc format due to huge processor changes...

Message 38 of 92 (186 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1573 posts

Jun 21, 2013

Icestar10 wrote:

I feel the same way. Sony does have a solution though. They are working on a streaming service and they are going to launch it in 2014. I would prefer native support though.

Native support will make your PS4 $499.. Remember they put the emotion engine processor in the PS3 to run the PS2 games.. your asking sony to create a customer logic board to contain two processors.. I don't see it happening the cost will be out of this world.. 

Message 39 of 92 (180 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1573 posts

Jun 21, 2013

Amnalehu wrote:

I wish the PS3 was frontward compatible...

LMAO actually it is due to GAIKAI.. 

Message 40 of 92 (180 Views)
0 Likes