Mar 12 2013
By: deaofly Fender Bender 3206 posts

PS4 will out-power most PCs for years to come

29 replies 253 views Edited Mar 12, 2013
Avalanche Studios chief technical officer Linus Blomberg has great faith in the PlayStation 4′s hardware, as well as Sony’s plans for the new console’s business model.

Speaking with GamingBolt, Blomberg said that a new console cycle is always “very exciting”, and this one is well overdue.

“The consoles desperately need a boost since having been overtaken in terms of performance by PCs several years ago, and also losing market share to mobile platforms,” he said.

“I’m glad Sony decided to go with 8GB RAM because it means that the PS4 will out-power most PCs for years to come.”

That statement makes a lot more sense when you remember that gamers tend to have much more powerful PCs than your average consumer, a mass-market PC developers have to factor in when making games scaleable. It seems Blomberg was in general quite impressed with the hardware.

“The off-the-shelf philosophy behind the architecture makes sense from a pricing and heating point of view, but it also means that Sony more easily can make incremental improvements of their system,” he noted.

“If that’s actually their plan I don’t know, but it could help preventing the inevitable loss of market shares that the long console cycles entails.”

Blomberg also showed enthusiasm for Sony’s vision for the PS4′s business model.

“The PS4 will not only be a very powerful gaming machine from a hardware perspective, but it will also be a social tool and integrated marketplace more akin to the successful mobile devices,” he said.

“It’s the best of all worlds in a way; great performance for demanding high-end gaming, good social ecosystem and connectivity, and integrated business marketplace.

“For Avalanche Studios as an open-world games developer this is super exciting and opens up many new opportunities. It’s a perfect fit for the types of games we do, and we are confident that we’ll bring open-world gaming to a whole new level because of it.”

Avalanche is believed to be working on Just Cause 3 and a Mad Max game. It is likely to reveal one or the other over the next few months, probably at or leading up to E3 2013 in June, as it’s been dropping teasers.

Source http://www.vg247.com/2013/03/11/ps4-will-out-power-most-pcs-for-years-to-come-says-just-cause-dev/

So any thoughts you guys want to share ?
PSN: Deaofly
60 GIG Ps3 Owner Since January 21, 2007
500GB Ps4 Owner Since November 22, 2014
1000 Model PSP Owner, PSP Go Owner and PS Vita Owner
PS1 and PS2, Both Original Systems.
https://www.facebook.com/deaofly?ref=aymt_homepage_panel
Message 1 of 30 (253 Views)
SCEA
1489 posts

Re: PS4 will out-power most PCs for years to come

OFFICIAL POST
Mar 12, 2013

I know the specs have already been widely embraced by developers all around; but only time will tell what kind of experience PCs will offer going forward. I'll likely always be a console guy though, so it's reassuring to see stuff like this. 

great post, with a descriptive thread title (hoping that more of the community can embrace descriptive titles!), and informative OP. 

Message 2 of 30 (243 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2374 posts

Mar 12, 2013
As a former PC gamer I disagree that the PS4 will out-power PCs for years to come. However, I am willing to say that console will finally be able to match PC standard. I hope that the equal match can lead to great games for both sides as the limitations will be similar.
Message 3 of 30 (237 Views)
Fender Bender
3206 posts

Mar 12, 2013
I see this as the PS2 and PS3 Gen combined. As the PS4 will have a huge game list like the PS2 did with great features, PSN and blu-ray from PS3. The developers are really excited about the PS4 and there are alot more people on board then the 1st year of the PS3 release. Sony has made a great choice by having talks with the developers to know what they wanted in the system.
Message 4 of 30 (233 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8172 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 12, 2013

I see the "Proud" and "Compensating" PC Community is jumping up and down over the comment, and many people assuming it will blow away gaming rigs literally for years to come.

But, the way I see it, "most PCs" sold these days are cheap netbooks and laptops that have good CPUs but cheap integrated GPUs. So it's just logical (and true!) to say that the PS4 (and, to some degree, the PS3) will and is outpowering those Best Buy laptops literally, for years to come.

Yeah, sure the PC community would have access to better parts, but I'm pretty sure that the custom gaming rigs are in the minority compared to all the Acers, Toshibas and even Macbooks rolling off the line.

Funny how a little extra reading comprehension can change things dramatically. Smiley Tongue

Message 5 of 30 (224 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3206 posts

Mar 12, 2013
Haha hey wasn't my article but still a good read Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 30 (219 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2175 posts

Mar 12, 2013

But will it play Angry Birds??? There's constantly new hardware coming out for PC. Especially with graphics cards. Will the PS4 keep up with PC in terms of power? I'd say for the first couple years. But that's based on what we know about the PS4 right now. They did say that it's still prototype. With prototypes, specs can change.

Homie From November 26, 2008 - September 13, 2013.

Shady business practices? File a complaint to the BBB.
https://www.bbb.org/consumer-complaints/file-a-complaint/get-started
Message 7 of 30 (218 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2374 posts

Mar 12, 2013

TitusF wrote:

But will it play Angry Birds??? There's constantly new hardware coming out for PC. Especially with graphics cards. Will the PS4 keep up with PC in terms of power? I'd say for the first couple years. But that's based on what we know about the PS4 right now. They did say that it's still prototype. With prototypes, specs can change.

Yup, PCs tend to evolve quickly, while consoles don't. I'm really looking forward to the first years where both sides are equal, as there shouldn't be any limitations to 'dumb down' console or PC games.

Message 8 of 30 (211 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3206 posts

Mar 12, 2013
I hope we can finally play with players on PC and XBox
Message 9 of 30 (192 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8172 posts

Mar 12, 2013
PC? Yeah. Portal 2 had PC and PS3 co-op.

Xbox? Unlikely.
Message 10 of 30 (186 Views)
0 Likes