Treasure Hunter
4742 posts

Re: PS4 will not play CD's..do you care?

Feb 28, 2013

It seems like every new detail that is released about the PS4 makes me know more and more that I will not be an early adopter. The new trend with electronics is to be multi-purpose. If they PS4 can just play PS4 games and not do much else then I have absolutely no reason to be an early adopter. Why would I spend $500 on a device that won't likely have anything worth playing within the first year?There's no point in buying it early on.

semajmarc87
My YouTube | My Twitter
200+ Subscribers | 1,500+ Followers
Message 11 of 27 (264 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28672 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 28, 2013

semajmarc87 wrote:

It seems like every new detail that is released about the PS4 makes me know more and more that I will not be an early adopter. The new trend with electronics is to be multi-purpose. If they PS4 can just play PS4 games and not do much else then I have absolutely no reason to be an early adopter. Why would I spend $500 on a device that won't likely have anything worth playing within the first year?There's no point in buying it early on.

How many of these "details" are accurate, and how many are the product of discussions on various message boards like this one? Someone says Oh, I bet it won't play CD's", and that gets repeated, then it BECOMES a fact by repetition. That's what's called illusory of truth. Has anyone heard any solid confirmation that doesn't come from a message board or Twitter that it won't play CDs? Again, it's difficult to imagine that if it has an optical drive, that it wouldn't. Especially since the CD is a technology that Sony themselves helped pioneer. Even better, how many of you have actually BOUGHT a CD in the past year?

Message 12 of 27 (262 Views)
Big Daddy
16939 posts

Feb 28, 2013

semajmarc87 wrote:

kythunder wrote:

i myself can careless as i haven't used or bought a cd in so long i forgot all about them till i read about this...lol

http://www.psu.com/a018538/PS4-will-not-support-CDs

Saying "I myself can care less" means that you care (to a certain extent) because you are saying that it is possible for you to care less than you currently do.

I understood that reference. 

In fact, I have the graph as well.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 13 of 27 (256 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Feb 28, 2013

semajmarc87 wrote:

kythunder wrote:

i myself can careless as i haven't used or bought a cd in so long i forgot all about them till i read about this...lol

Saying "I myself can care less" means that you care (to a certain extent) because you are saying that it is possible for you to care less than you currently do.

are you really that ignorant?? if you cant understand my point then i feel sorry for you but like i haven't bought a music cd in well over 10 years and can't remember the last time i ever used a blank for something....so no i don't give a **bleep**...can you understand that??

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 14 of 27 (253 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4742 posts

Feb 28, 2013

kythunder wrote:

semajmarc87 wrote:

kythunder wrote:

are you really that ignorant?? if you cant understand my point then i feel sorry for you but like i haven't bought a music cd in well over 10 years and can't remember the last time i ever used a blank for something....so no i don't give a **bleep**...can you understand that??

Being ignorant means to lack knowledge or awareness in general and/or to be uneducated or unsophisticated. It's ironic that you would call me "ignorant" because your use of that word suggests that you are ignorant about it's usage and meaning. In the future, try not to be such a schlemiel.

semajmarc87
My YouTube | My Twitter
200+ Subscribers | 1,500+ Followers
Message 15 of 27 (248 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Feb 28, 2013

pretty sad you had to look up the word to find its meaning..lol....you was ingnorant to the meaning of "ignorant"..your real bright there kiddo..

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 16 of 27 (225 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
333 posts

Feb 28, 2013
Screw CDs.
Message 17 of 27 (209 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8176 posts

Feb 28, 2013

I won't be surprised if it didn't read CDs. Most of the time one will just pop the disc in the drive, rip it to Lossless or High Bitrate AAC then let it sit in a drawer.

The Blu-Ray Drive Spec recommends (but does not require) regular CD playback. Some BD Players [1] [2] [3] don't have the capability to read CDs, full stop.

My best guess is that they plucked away the red laser used for reading CDs. But then again, why would they? It's so mass-produced it won't be even worth saving the 2 and a half cents for plucking away the red laser diode...

On second thought, it's just what it is: A rumor. I won't get too worked up about it.

Message 18 of 27 (205 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1102 posts

Feb 28, 2013

I have never once put a CD into my PS3, so IMO, I don't really care.

Message 19 of 27 (204 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16939 posts

Feb 28, 2013

Doppelgangergang wrote:

I won't be surprised if it didn't read CDs. Most of the time one will just pop the disc in the drive, rip it to Lossless or High Bitrate AAC then let it sit in a drawer.

The Blu-Ray Drive Spec recommends (but does not require) regular CD playback. Some BD Players [1] [2] [3] don't have the capability to read CDs, full stop.

My best guess is that they plucked away the red laser used for reading CDs. But then again, why would they? It's so mass-produced it won't be even worth saving the 2 and a half cents for plucking away the red laser diode...

On second thought, it's just what it is: A rumor. I won't get too worked up about it.

DVD's also use a red laser

Furiously Chaosing
Message 20 of 27 (188 Views)
0 Likes