Fender Bender
3436 posts

Re: PS4 will not play CD's..do you care?

Feb 28, 2013

gR3yGh051 wrote:

Doppelgangergang wrote:

I won't be surprised if it didn't read CDs. Most of the time one will just pop the disc in the drive, rip it to Lossless or High Bitrate AAC then let it sit in a drawer.

The Blu-Ray Drive Spec recommends (but does not require) regular CD playback. Some BD Players [1] [2] [3] don't have the capability to read CDs, full stop.

My best guess is that they plucked away the red laser used for reading CDs. But then again, why would they? It's so mass-produced it won't be even worth saving the 2 and a half cents for plucking away the red laser diode...

On second thought, it's just what it is: A rumor. I won't get too worked up about it.

DVD's also use a red laser

yea thats the thing,surely it will still play dvds so why not cd's? if it don't then it was just removed from the controller itself as to why i have no clue...guess we may find out come E3..

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 21 of 27 (275 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
41 posts

Feb 28, 2013

Well, I like playing PS1 games, so yeah, I'll care.

The more I read about the PS4, the more and more I find it to be a "useless" next generation.  It shows that Sony really doesn't have a grasp on what consumers want, or else choose to ignore it.  I guess it will be worth it to me to see what Microsoft has in store for me, as well as the Ouya.  Sticking with Playstation seems to be without any "incentives" so-to-speak.

Message 22 of 27 (267 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8202 posts

Feb 28, 2013
@Greygho51, kythunder

The PS2 and PS3 have seperate lasers for CD and DVD. The laser wavelength of CD is near-infrared, while the laser for DVD is well into the Red wavelengths.

Smiley Happy
Message 23 of 27 (262 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Feb 28, 2013

Thanks Bill Nye lol

Furiously Chaosing
Message 24 of 27 (259 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4392 posts

Feb 28, 2013

DVD players that play CDs require two different laser diodes.  One for the CD, one for the DVD.

The PS3 actually had three laser diodes.

Given the fact that the PS4 is supposed to have a BluRay drive capable of multi layer reads beyond today's standard of two, It is once again a cutting edge drive.  Much like the drive for the PS3 was at it's launch.

It is quite possible that to make the drive cheaper, and more reliable for it's intended purpose, the third Laser diode for the CD was omitted.

I'm not happy about it, but the reason may not be malicious in intent.

I often listened to CDs on my PS3, as it was a whole Home entertainment system.

I suspect that this is being done to possibly accommodate 4K resolution video playback from multi layer BluRay discs.  Judging from CES this year, Sony has sunk a large investment into the future of 4K TV's.  The only issue is there is no 4K content that can be played on them.  If Sony can Trojan horse a 4K BluRay player into people's homes, it may help sell the TV's.

Be One With The Game.

Message 25 of 27 (255 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
180 posts

Feb 28, 2013
I doubt it won't play CDs. They probably just didn't note it because it's not a proper selling point anymore.
Message 26 of 27 (254 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
7409 posts

Feb 28, 2013

As usual the press are taking info to literally...

The PDF given to them did not list the READ speed of CD-rom but listed DVD and BD processing speed...

45.jpg

It also did not list the Deadicated down load controller Chip that does all the Back ground downloading instead of the APU

No listing of the HDMI chip support for 4K. 

The bottom line reads.....

47.jpg

SIEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester
I use Game Capture HD II to capture and upload videos on to the free youtube storage

View forum in Full Desktop Power or Mobile Mode.
Message 27 of 27 (242 Views)
0 Likes