Uncharted Territory
1846 posts

Re: PS4 to lock out used games, no backwards compatibility

Mar 29, 2012

RAWBRT wrote:

IDK but if you have twitter you can read Kaz Hirai's tweets. I dont think he'd be making fun of the rumors if it were infact true...

Reminds me of when Vita was first announced and people were predicting it would cost somewhere around $400, and someone from Sony, I believe it was Kaz, later said that they were laughing their heads off at that prediction.

Get your Portable ID!
Motorstorm 80GB Bundle w/ 320GB HDD
Message 11 of 35 (115 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Mar 29, 2012

I hope its not ture .  It would pain me to do so but I will not invest with sony any longer.

Message 12 of 35 (115 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Mar 29, 2012

its all BS lies..sony has already stated they won't even have the new console in 2013,ps3 still has plenty of headroom left..

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 13 of 35 (115 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28988 posts

Mar 29, 2012

mastorofpuppetz wrote:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/next-playstation-to-lock-out-used-games-6368582

Cannot believe the used games thing, but if sony once again didn`t learn their lesson on backwards compatibility they are stupid.

Learn their lesson? They've sold more consoles WITHOUT backward compatability than they did with it.

GameSpot hasn't been right about a single rumor for ages now. Trace it back to the source, and laugh it off.

Message 14 of 35 (115 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
663 posts

Mar 29, 2012

Well to be fair PS3 with backwards compatibility back in the day was easily double the price

Message 15 of 35 (115 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Mar 29, 2012

CaptainAlbator wrote:

mastorofpuppetz wrote:

Cannot believe the used games thing, but if sony once again didn`t learn their lesson on backwards compatibility they are stupid.

Learn their lesson? They've sold more consoles WITHOUT backward compatability than they did with it.

GameSpot hasn't been right about a single rumor for ages now. Trace it back to the source, and laugh it off.

Kotaku was the source of this news, and their source (according to them) has given them accurate information in the past. So I think this information is credible, but I am sure there are more things to be finalized...

Message 16 of 35 (115 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28988 posts

Mar 29, 2012

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

mastorofpuppetz wrote:

Kotaku was the source of this news, and their source (according to them) has given them accurate information in the past. So I think this information is credible, but I am sure there are more things to be finalized...

It's still a rumor. The actual "source" was an anonymous tipster. If it was some guy who stopped you on the street, would you believe him? GameSpot over the last couple of weeks has reported that;

• Valve was making a console (not true)
  • Microsoft was unveiling the next XBox at this years E3 (not true)
  • Sony was revealing the PS4 at this years E3 (again.. not true)

I'm sensing a pattern here. They're digging for sources, and with the lack of journalistic integrity they've exhibited lately, they're reporting these rumors to drive traffic to their site.

Besides, if gamers are so enamored with buying games as downloads, and with streaming (pipe dream), you're going to destroy the used game market in the process anyway. That doesn't seem to bother them as much for some bizarre reason though.

Message 17 of 35 (115 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Mar 29, 2012

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

mastorofpuppetz wrote:

It's still a rumor. The actual "source" was an anonymous tipster. If it was some guy who stopped you on the street, would you believe him? Besides, if gamers are so enamored with buying games as downloads, and with streaming (pipe dream), you're going to destroy the used game market in the process anyway. That doesn't seem to bother them as much for some bizarre reason though.

Kotaku states that: "reliable source who is not authorized to talk publicly about next-gen hardware but has shared correct information with us before", so I believe the information is far more credible than a random individual on the street.

Plus this information from this source echoes the previous rumors made about the PS4, which IMO makes these rumors more credible than fictional...

Message 18 of 35 (115 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28988 posts

Mar 29, 2012

Again, check their track record as of late. They haven't had very good luck with reporting "rumors" lately. This is the level of journalistic integrity, or lack of it, that permeates through video game "journalism". Rumors and speculation. 

Message 19 of 35 (115 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Mar 29, 2012

I doubt that this particular source is the same one as those other rumors you speak of.

And no one expects all rumors to be factual (at least I don't), I find them amusing to read. Ultimately it is up to the individual to make up their own mind regarding its credibility...

Message 20 of 35 (115 Views)
0 Likes