Mar 28 2012
By: mastorofpuppetz Gaming Beast 2362 posts

PS4 to lock out used games, no backwards compatibility

34 replies 3344 views Edited Mar 28, 2012

http://www.gamespot.com/news/next-playstation-to-lock-out-used-games-6368582

Cannot believe the used games thing, but if sony once again didn`t learn their lesson on backwards compatibility they are stupid.

Message 1 of 35 (3,344 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Re: PS4 to lock out used games, no backwards compatibility

Mar 28, 2012

Isn't that the same thing Microsoft is doing? There will be backwards compatibility probably, if you buy PSN versions of PS3 games. That's how I plan to buy my games. Only problem, most of the PS3 games available aren't on there (many are, but not nearly enough).

The Real Inuboy1000
Message 2 of 35 (3,344 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Mar 28, 2012

i wont believe nothing till sony officially says it themselves.

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 3 of 35 (3,344 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
193 posts

Mar 28, 2012

Not much in that article sounded good to me.

By removing the ability to play used games, you will really limit a person's experience. Financially times are difficult and will possibly only be worse by the end of 2013. I dare not even speculate what gas prices will be by then. The console cost will be bad enough (I'm sure) but the cost of games will realistically probably limit avid gamers with limited funds to only a few titles per year. If games still come out at about the same consistency as they currently do, a backlog of games that any given person may want to play could accrue very quickly. With new titles constantly coming out, there may not be much to entice that person to go back and play a game that may be two, three or even four plus years old if it still carries the high price (unless games are going to be offerred at naturally depreciating costs.)

If it works the way it sounds like it will, it will eliminate lending games out as well. My brother and I swap games all the time. When we beat/get tired of one, we'll pass it on to each other. For that matter it would also seem to stop game rentals from companies like gamefly and redbox. Just sounds bad all around...

Also having to be signed in to PSN to play my games? Really? I'm sure there are some user's out there who do not have a broadband connection, for whatever reason (cost, location, lack of necessity - whatever). That would eliminate them, and effect those who travel. I used to travel quite frequently and still do occassionally but I have actually brought my PS3 with me on a few of my longer duration international trips. I have stayed in hotels in Poland, the Ukraine and Russia that did not even offer an internet connection except maybe at one termial in the lobby. What about times when there is an internet outtage? It still happens. I have Verizon Fios and occassionally I lose service, either because of something they are doing, or a storm. When I was with Comcast I lost service when there was a bad car accident near by that took out some poles. So during any of those times, I would not be able to game on my 'Orbis'? That's crap.

I don't know, I understand it's just a rumor, but rumors start somehwere...

Message 4 of 35 (3,344 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
498 posts

Mar 28, 2012

I agree with ky. Way too early to put stock in any rumors. Once a console is officially announced, then you should start listening to what is being said, because prior to that, no one with any inside knowledge is speaking to the press. It's all, friend of a friend, sort of like those messages on PSN supposedly from "Kevin Butler", you really don't know whether it was someone having a joke and it got out of control, or what.

Message 5 of 35 (3,344 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Mar 28, 2012

yea i just go back to all the rumors that was going around before the official announcement of the ps3 and it was alot of the same kind of crap,probably made up by a Xbox fanboy to try and steer us away from the next BEST console on the market..LOL

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 6 of 35 (3,344 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2726 posts

Mar 29, 2012

Whatever, this is the stupidest rumor I've ever heard it would never sell if they did all that was said.

Message 7 of 35 (3,344 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4916 posts

Mar 29, 2012

I saw this too but I won't believe it until Sony says it. If this is true then I might not get the PS4.

semajmarc87
My YouTube | My Twitter
210+ Subscribers | 1,500+ Followers
Message 8 of 35 (3,344 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Mar 29, 2012

IDK but if you have twitter you can read Kaz Hirai's tweets. I dont think he'd be making fun of the rumors if it were infact true...

Message 9 of 35 (3,344 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Mar 29, 2012

I don't think Kaz has a Twitter account, what I saw was a parody account.

The easiest way to achieve BC would be to at least have the main processor on the new system's motherboard, just like the original versions of the PS2 & PS3 had. If the "PS4" doesn't have a CELL processor onboard, Sony would have to software emulate the PS3, and that probably just isn't worthwhile to do.

As for preventing used games, that would mean that every "PS4" would be required to connect to the internet, and I am not sure how that can be enforced. They certainly can limit online gameplay with this approach.

All I have to say is that GameStop should start making plans to downsize their organization over the next 5 years...

Message 10 of 35 (3,344 Views)
0 Likes