Feb 22 2013
By: PKRFN4LIFE Lombax Warrior 93 posts
Accepted Solution

PS4 "social features"

41 replies 764 views Edited Feb 22, 2013

Does this upset you guys or are you excited for it ?

I personally think this is gonna be huge ! I think when people hear the word "social" these days they automatically think "facebook" and my takeaway from the the press conference was yes they are going in a social direction but that does not necessarily mean your gonna share stuff to your facebook page unless you want to.

I think the whole whole social features are gonna be great to share your gaming experience with people on your PS4's friends list. And at that you share with who you want to. They will not force us to be social, some people are anti-social and will be able to turn that all off.

I think it will be pretty neat that when I have a epic gaming moment where I make that impossible shot or beat a super hard level to be able to share that with my gaming buddies in an instant !

One thing I haven't herd though, cross game chat ?? Anybody know or herd anything?? I assume it will be a feature being they wanna be so social focused this time around.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 42 (764 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4402 posts

Re: PS4 "social features"

Feb 22, 2013

PKRFN4LIFE wrote:

I personally think this is gonna be huge ! I think when people hear the word "social" these days they automatically think "facebook" and my takeaway from the the press conference was yes they are going in a social direction but that does not necessarily mean your gonna share stuff to your facebook page unless you want to.

I think the whole whole social features are gonna be great to share your gaming experience with people on your PS4's friends list. And at that you share with who you want to. They will not force us to be social, some people are anti-social and will be able to turn that all off.

I think it will be pretty neat that when I have a epic gaming moment where I make that impossible shot or beat a super hard level to be able to share that with my gaming buddies in an instant !

One thing I haven't herd though, cross game chat ?? Anybody know or herd anything?? I assume it will be a feature being they wanna be so social focused this time around.

No interest in it, what so ever.

The SHARE button will be the button on my DS4 that NEVER gets used.

Moble

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 42 (757 Views)
Lombax Warrior
93 posts

Feb 22, 2013

Whats your reason if i may ask ? 2682 posts in a little over a year ! You seem pretty social to me. What you posted is not really a reason,i would like to know, if people don't like it, why ?

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 42 (753 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4479 posts

Feb 22, 2013

I could not give a rats patootie about sharing my gaming.  When I'm on my console it's for "me" time - my escape to de-stress from everything else going on - work, family, etc.  It's private time, and I have no desire to show off my latest take-down of some enemy in whatever game I'm playing.

** Engage brain before putting mouth in gear **
 photo Signature2.png

MVP Terms and Conditions ______(=^‥^=)______ Forum Rules of Conduct

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 42 (747 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1283 posts

Feb 22, 2013
Pulling your name and picture from your Facebook profile, sharing game videos on Facebook and Ustream. It isn't as socially intergrated as some people may think.
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 42 (744 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3055 posts

Feb 22, 2013

moblesuit75 wrote:

PKRFN4LIFE wrote:

Moble

same here..far as im concerned that button can be removed and a cool led put in its place....likely to happen..lol

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 42 (740 Views)
Wastelander
662 posts

Feb 22, 2013

moblesuit75 wrote:

Moble

Agreed. Sonys overly dramatic glorification of the PS4s social media capabilities were enough to turn me off the new console.

"Stupidity is a disease, and we have an epidemic on our hands"
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 42 (735 Views)
Fender Bender
3055 posts

Feb 22, 2013

Brozz65 wrote:

moblesuit75 wrote:

Moble

Agreed. Sonys overly dramatic glorification of the PS4s social media capabilities were enough to turn me off the new console.

you dont have to use it....do like me and put a cool blue led in its place...here i am thinking about mods before the things even released..haha oh well thats how i am...

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 42 (727 Views)
PlayStation MVP
4402 posts

Feb 22, 2013

PKRFN4LIFE wrote:

What's your reason if i may ask ? 2682 posts in a little over a year ! You seem pretty social to me. What you posted is not really a reason,i would like to know, if people don't like it, why ?

Since you ask, I will expound on it a bit.:smileyhappy:

The PSN Forum is about the only "Social Media" I use.  I have a Facebook, but only so my non communicating family knows I am still breathing.  I will add photos and some updates, so they know I am living well, and happy.  I rarely ever post my "Status", which is my biggest peeve.

Who freaking cares what any one is doing right this minute?  If I really wanted to know my friend from High School was enjoying a National Coney Island Loose Burger, with Chilly Cheese Fries, then I would call them to see if that was what they were doing.

I do not subscribe to the "twittisphere" mentality of people these days.  I do not buy into "Heart Warming Stories" about good things happening to good people.  I don't care what star or average person thinks about anything.

I form my own opinions on things, based on facts that I check myself.  People "Sharing" what they are doing, every moment of the day, is some what puke inducing to me.  In my opinion, they are all just looking for attention or affirmations of their status and well being.  I do not need that.

I am a confident person, who believes in doing things for myself or those I care about.  I could care less what other people think about what I have done, and care even less if they know what I have done.  On that point, I go back to my Facebook use.  It is for my family's benefit, and really no on else's.

As far as the "Social" aspect of the new PS4, it falls in line with my feeling of Twitter, FaceBook, Pinterest, or what ever social media people use.  The last thing I want, is to be playing a game, and have one of my "friends" chime in with, "Hey buddy, I am jamming out on All Stars Battle Royal, come what ME play".  No interest in it what so ever.

As well, I have no interest in sharing my game play with others.  What would be the point?  If I want to play online with someone, then I will send them an invite, but I am NOT looking to invite them so they can "Watch" me play.

I understand Sony is trying to stay at peace with the World around it.  I understand it makes good business sense to integrate what would most likely be a popular feature to the World as a whole.  I am not a cattle or a sheep (despite recent "Famboy" accusations about me:smileywink:).  I don't need the feature, and when I do get a PS4, it will be one I do not use.

I know the feature will not be a FaceBook or what ever aforementioned or not mentioned Social Network site.  I understand that, but all the applications they have mentioned, so far, still have no interest to me.

Perhaps I am old fashioned in this, could be.  I am not of the younger generation here, I am OLD, and becoming crotchety:smileylol:.

I even hate the term "Viral".  It makes me want to punch someone in the throat when I hear, "this video has gone viral", or "Viral video sensation".  I don't care about anyone "coming out", or some ten year old whimsically breaking from the pre determined music selection to play Lady Gaga at their recital.  WHO F'n CARES?!  Not ME.  A virus should be eradicated, not promoted (Reference to Viral, and should not be misconstrued for judgment on any of the examples given).  Attention Who'res are abound, and the new "Social Feature" of the PS4 just sounds like another platform for them to hook themselves out.

I get what Sony is doing, I really do.  It is business.  I understand the possible advantages of having all Sony Entertainment avenues tied through the social feature.  

In all honesty though, I do not need my TV to let me know when a particular new cooking show is coming on Netflix, or a new album is coming out from a band I like on Sony Music Unlimited.  I don't need my electronics to "know" me.  I can look things up on my own.  I can find music on my own.  I can find shows on my own.  I like to play my games on my own, the majority of the time.

You could call me Anti-Social, I would take it as a compliment.  I grew up in a World without most of this stuff, for most of my life.  I do not need technology in order to socialize, and it intrudes upon my actual ability to be social, when a device is giving me constant updates.

As far as PSN Forum, I come here when I am at work mostly.  There is a lot of down time in my job, as I am good at it, and it is situational as well.  I am allowed to be here even.  I cleared it with my boss and the IT guy.  So here I am.

I choose to be social on PSN Forum, because it entails Gaming, something I love to do in my spare time.  Granted the new social feature is the same, in essence, but it also integrates the other aspects of social media that I despise.

I have more, but I will leave you with that for now.  Let me know if I can expound on more for you.:smileywink:  I would be obliged.:smileyvery-happy:

Moble

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 42 (723 Views)
Lombax Warrior
93 posts

Feb 22, 2013

By the way some of you guys post you make it sound like you game in some deep dark cave ! I mean you all must be gaming fans with most of you have thousands of posts in this forum and that's being pretty social in my eyes.

The world is turning into a very social place with facebook,instagram,youtube,smartphones ect. And I'm willing to bet that 90% of the people that post in this forum have a smart phone,facebook page and so on.

IDK I am a social gamer and I very much enjoy playing with friends and sharing my gaming experiences with them so I am soooo excited for the new social features. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 42 (722 Views)